VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1181 - 1200 of 1247 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
10,916 Posts
Because GSW is only offered in base trim, and because it isn’t offered in half the colors the Alltrack is, and because the GSW is inferior in many ways to the Alltrack

Honestly when I was shopping, I wasn’t even remotely interested in the GSW at all… look of it was just too plain-Jane for me, and even a S-model Alltrack (read: the smart choice when buying for the long-term) came well enough equipped for me personally (coming from daily driving mk2’s) …

I was very specific about getting a GFG/Marrakesh/6-mt…

but I also didn’t buy it because of its “off-road/soft-road abilities”… I had lowering springs and GTI suspension before I even took delivery of it… then ultimately went with air-ride 🤷🏻‍♂️… diff’rnt strokes and all that…

·
Registered
335 Posts
50mm struts requiring knuckle upgrade for GTI/R suspension components + Base Golf brakes with the wagon + 4Motion weight makes it not just under equipped, but truly inferior in my opinion. Also no option for the LED headlights. Cause even at “under-equipped,” the difference between the OEM LEDs and the 7.5 halogens is just... not ideal. Though I will admit, those Osram upgrades for the non-LP 7.5’s are OEM quality and very cool, plus unique.
That’s fair. The only things I’m bummed about not getting are better ambient lighting (footwell and door panel trim lights), paint options, and KESSY/Push-Start. Not very cost effective to retrofit any of these (footwell’s easy and cheap though).

The rest can be upgraded with ease for someone planning to somewhat extensively modify the car anyway. Plenty of parts to be had in the MQB ocean.

·
Registered
578 Posts
50mm struts requiring knuckle upgrade for GTI/R suspension components + Base Golf brakes with the wagon + 4Motion weight makes it not just under equipped, but truly inferior in my opinion. Also no option for the LED headlights. Cause even at “under-equipped,” the difference between the OEM LEDs and the 7.5 halogens is just... not ideal. Though I will admit, those Osram upgrades for the non-LP 7.5’s are OEM quality and very cool, plus unique.
A blind test with all other things constant and I can almost guarantee one wouldn't be able to pick out the difference in front knuckles.

It's also quite a bit more apparent that stock vs stock, the AT gets far more complaints than the GSW regarding the feel of the suspension.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MT Golf R Springs and Golf R Estate Rear Springs are finally here! Planned install for next weekend, but might start building up the front strut assemblies soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody have any pictures to share of the Eibach Prokit springs on their Alltrack? I'm looking to pair them with B6s and some TT rear pads. I'm not looking for a huge drop as I plan to drive the car in the winter as well (lots of snow). And yes, estate springs are also an option I'm looking at.

·
Registered
154 Posts
R springs with Variant Rears and TT rear pads on Bilstein B6 all around. Pretty much the perfect solution for me and it is settling nicely even after one day. The rear right now is sitting roughly 0.75" higher than the front. Hope that holds up to loading it full of gear for road trips. For reference my driveway is not even close to level in the last two pictures.

Front Ground to fender: 26.5" L and 26.6" R
Rear Ground to fender: 27.25" both sides

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did anyone figure out VW weight range ratings on springs ?
I think last 2 letters in part number state spring height and weight rating . Also some VW websites call the weight rating using number
Alltrack has 10
Audi A3 has 7
VW Tiguan has 17
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anybody have any pictures to share of the Eibach Prokit springs on their Alltrack? I'm looking to pair them with B6s and some TT rear pads. I'm not looking for a huge drop as I plan to drive the car in the winter as well (lots of snow). And yes, estate springs are also an option I'm looking at.
I have them in my Alltrack and it is a 2” drop. Will be installing B8’s soon

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack SE
37 Posts
R springs with Variant Rears and TT rear pads on Bilstein B6 all around. Pretty much the perfect solution for me and it is settling nicely even after one day. The rear right now is sitting roughly 0.75" higher than the front. Hope that holds up to loading it full of gear for road trips. For reference my driveway is not even close to level in the last two pictures.

Front Ground to fender: 26.5" L and 26.6" R
Rear Ground to fender: 27.25" both sides

View attachment 125334 View attachment 125335 View attachment 125337
This looks like the perfect height. Couple questions:
1. Did you bu all new parts? If so, can you give me a ballpark on price?
2. Are you running spacer on the Canyons? I love my stock wheels and grabbed some spacers for them but want to make sure they wont rub if lowered like this.
THANK YOU!

·
Registered
768 Posts
2. Are you running spacer on the Canyons? I love my stock wheels and grabbed some spacers for them but want to make sure they wont rub if lowered like this.
THANK YOU!
Ive got this whole setup for sale currently if you’re looking for this exact assortment (R front spring takeoffs <5K miles, R Estate rears BNIB, R B6 BNIB).

Also they will not rub, with spacers or otherwise. This isn’t actually “lowering,” all things considered. They are OEM Springs for an OEM Golf offering, paired with OEM+ struts. OEM Golf R’s run 19” wheels. You’ll have plenty of room with the OEM 18” Canyons.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack SE
37 Posts
Ive got this whole setup for sale currently if you’re looking for this exact assortment (R front spring takeoffs <5K miles, R Estate rears BNIB, R B6 BNIB).

Also they will not rub, with spacers or otherwise. This isn’t actually “lowering,” all things considered. They are OEM Springs for an OEM Golf offering, paired with OEM+ struts. OEM Golf R’s run 19” wheels. You’ll have plenty of room with the OEM 18” Canyons.
Shoot me a message and let’s talk!

·
Registered
154 Posts
THANK YOU!
Yes 5mm in the front and 10mm in the rear. Very subtle but just a bit more aggressive than stock.

I did buy literally everything new, bolts, mounts, bearings, all the rubber isolators. Cost was somewhere in the ballpark of $1300, a majority of it came from FCP with a lifetime warranty and I was replacing parts that were only 11,000 miles old but wanted everything new. I did Super pro rear swaybar and Moog endlinks at the same time so add about +$300 for that if you want, would be easy enough to find an R take of sway bar though that would get you a bit more neutral car. Suspension only took a day to install(second time doing an MK7) and pulled the axles at the trans side rather than messing with the 2x4 method.

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack SE
37 Posts
Yes 5mm in the front and 10mm in the rear. Very subtle but just a bit more aggressive than stock.

I did buy literally everything new, bolts, mounts, bearings, all the rubber isolators. Cost was somewhere in the ballpark of $1300, a majority of it came from FCP with a lifetime warranty and I was replacing parts that were only 11,000 miles old but wanted everything new. I did Super pro rear swaybar and Moog endlinks at the same time so add about +$300 for that if you want, would be easy enough to find an R take of sway bar though that would get you a bit more neutral car. Suspension only took a day to install(second time doing an MK7) and pulled the axles at the trans side rather than messing with the 2x4 method.
Good to know. Thank you so much for the info!

·
Registered
852 Posts

Where did you source your parts? Do you have parts list w/ #s?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't have a great bolt/nut parts list. I rely on the kit from ShopDAP, the full install suspension kit comes with every nut and bolt including inner axle bolts for ~$80. I have tried to put together my own parts list for suspension hardware a few times and just get aggravated and order their kit anyway.

This is the easy stuff though below:
ComponentPNVendor
Bilstein B6 full kit35229872KT2FCP
Golf R Springs (FRONT) MT5Q0411105JFLocal VW
Golf R Variant Springs (REAR)5Q0511115LTeACCA
Front Strut Bearings5QM412249 FCP
Hardware kitFull suspension bolt kitshopDAP
TT Rear Spring Pads8J0512149FCP
Dust Boots (FRONT)5Q0413175CFCP
Dust Boot (REAR)5Q0513425JFCP
Front lower rubber spring isolators5QM-412-545FCP
rear lower spring isolators5Q0-512-297-DFCP
Front Bump StopN/A with B6 front damper
Rear Bump Stop Golf R5Q0511357NFCP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anybody try Mk6 Golf R springs??

This is a shot in the dark but I'm currently running the Mk7 R rear/GTI front setup that many on this thread are running. I like it but I still feel like the rear is too soft over larger dips and bumps. I've been looking into other OEM+ options that are a little stiffer but spring rates are pretty hard to come by on the forums for a lot of these cars. Bought some s3 springs but based on my measurements the springs rate is ~320 lb/in which is probably a little too stiff. I just came across the spring rate for the Mk6 R and its 285 lb/in according to Neuspeed. I have no idea if these springs are the right length but this spring rate is bang on what I've calculated to give a similar wheel rate to the GTI/R with the added weight of the wagon. Has anyone tried this setup? Does anyone have any of these springs lying around?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hey skilaxin1088,

I always thought S3 and Golf R springs were the same, while the A3 and Golf use the same springs too. What shocks are you using? I am guessing you are using either stock alltrack dampers, or GTI dampers, and neither are good for the rear of the wagon with that spring. You should use Bilstein B6 shocks in the rear only, and B4 or GTI dampers in the front. The reason is most shocks are twin-tube designs, and the B6 is a monotube. This means it has a much bigger piston and uses around 350 - 400psi nitrogen charge. It will effectively feel like adding 15 to 20 lbs to your spring rating, while also giving you way more damping control on that heavy butt. I promise you - you won't think the rear R spring is too soft after you do this!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have the GTI springs all the way around with B6s sometimes wonder if the R springs would have been a better choice for the rear. Rides a bit stiffer than original, but like it much better than stock especially in the Sierras. Never did add the rear bar, but suspect a 25mm

·
Registered
2017 VW Alltrack S DSG Silk Blue
38 Posts
Alltrack with R-Wagon springs

Here are some pics of R springs and Koni Special Active struts/shocks. These are the R wagon euro spring in the back, along with the Audi TT spring pads. Wheels are 17x7.5, 45 offset, with 225/50 17. Stock, the distance from tire to fender was 95mm front, 91mm rear; with the new set up it's 35mm all the way around. The Audi TT pads got rid of the factory reverse rake.

upload album online

Here is an R spring vs an R wagon spring. The springs look identical, with a bit longer winding on the R-Variant spring. The part number used was 5Q0511115LT, sourced from e-acca.

Now for the important stuff:

-ride quality: "huge improvement" would be an understatement. I didn't hate the stock Alltrack suspension. For me, it was good on small bumps, bouncy on big bumps, and had quite a bit of body roll. With the new set-up, body roll is greatly reduced, small bump compliance is a little better, but it's way more composed on bigger bumps. The ride is very similar to the FSD/sport spring set-up on my A3. For a daily driver, I think it's pretty much perfect.

-cargo capacity: so far, I've only had about 80 lbs in the back (along with a trailer hitch bolted to the frame). With 80 lbs in the boot there is no measurable additional drop. My biggest complaint about the stock set-up was the amount of rear end sag when loaded up. This alone will make it worthwhile for me. I'll be curious to see how it does when fully loaded, but with the heavier spring rate I'm sure it'll be much better than stock

-long-term reliability: unknown... my FSD's on my A3 have around 40K on them, so not a ton of miles--and they've been trouble-free. Folks with excessive drop seem to have problems with them. The Special Actives are rated to be compatible with the R Wagon, and they have a lifetime warranty, so I'm not too worried about them.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the set-up. Looking forward to getting some more miles on it!

Thanks for posting this, I placed an order the Golf R Wagon springs from e-acca. I was given a full set of GTI shocks/springs, and TT pads, and am looking forward to the change in handling.

·
Registered
2017 VW Alltrack S DSG Silk Blue
38 Posts
ED spacers is shorthand for Emmanuele Design Adapter Pads:
MQB Rear Suspension "Reverse Rake" Adapter Pad Kit

"Spacers" is an accurate description, but slightly misleading given that spacers are another type of universally recognized car part. These are hard plastic pieces designed to go between your stock rubber spring pad and the frame. They are an alternative to the TT pads, which if you use, I would just recommend buying new:
Rear Upper Spring Packing - Priced Each

I just installed GTI dampers / springs on my Alltrack and used the TT pads. My car still suffers some "reverse rake," I can stack three fingers in front fender gap, only two in the rear fender gap. My ED pads arrived this week and I'm planning to swap them in soon. Moral of the story is, the TT pads might not be enough, I know some other users with GTI takeoffs have had the same experience with TT pads. I would recommend starting with the ED pads because they're half the price of the TT pads anyway!

As for the ride height, if you can get by with a Civic I think you'll be okay. Frankly, the drop was not as significant as I expected! Still clears parking stones happily.

2017 Alltrack S
Bilstein B4 front dampers
GTI OEM front springs

GTI OEM rear dampers
Golf R rear springs
Audi TT spring pads

I also bought new strut mount bearings...
( Audi VW Strut Mount Bearing - Genuine VW Audi 5Q0412249E )

... and a nuts and bolts kit from DAP before starting:
( Basic Suspension Install Kit for MK7 )

I highly recommend those as well. There are lots of torque-to-yield / stretch bolts in the operation, and it feels good putting a fresh bolt on. Knock on wood, 1000 miles on this setup and no funny noises.

That looks great! Even makes the stock wheels look good!

1181 - 1200 of 1247 Posts