VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 1247 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anyone running r/r variant springs & tt pads and rolling 235/40/18x8 that can provide feedback on fitment? Assume this will be OK given it seems lots of Golf R owners run this setup at stock height.
Should be no issue/easy fit unless some odd offset. Why TT pads with Variant springs unless you simply want the back higher than the front.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Should be no issue/easy fit unless some odd offset. Why TT pads with Variant springs unless you simply want the back higher than the front.
Consensus on R variant springs from this thread seems to be to stick with the TT pads (alone - no other spacers or pad sandwich) to level the car or have a slight positive rake if you use your wagon for wagon things. (I do)

Is your experience different?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Consensus on R variant springs from this thread seems to be to stick with the TT pads (alone - no other spacers or pad sandwich) to level the car or have a slight positive rake if you use your wagon for wagon things. (I do)

Is your experience different?
Not really. I have my rear a little higher but the Variants are built to keep the car level without out a boost. It's just a choice and I wanted to make certain you knew that as opposed to thinking that you required the additional spacers.

Reactions: Sprocket

·
Registered
2017 VW Alltrack S DSG Silk Blue
38 Posts
I don't have a great bolt/nut parts list. I rely on the kit from ShopDAP, the full install suspension kit comes with every nut and bolt including inner axle bolts for ~$80. I have tried to put together my own parts list for suspension hardware a few times and just get aggravated and order their kit anyway.

This is the easy stuff though below:
ComponentPNVendor
Bilstein B6 full kit35229872KT2FCP
Golf R Springs (FRONT) MT5Q0411105JFLocal VW
Golf R Variant Springs (REAR)5Q0511115LTeACCA
Front Strut Bearings5QM412249FCP
Hardware kitFull suspension bolt kitshopDAP
TT Rear Spring Pads8J0512149FCP
Dust Boots (FRONT)5Q0413175CFCP
Dust Boot (REAR)5Q0513425JFCP
Front lower rubber spring isolators5QM-412-545FCP
rear lower spring isolators5Q0-512-297-DFCP
Front Bump StopN/A with B6 front damper
Rear Bump Stop Golf R5Q0511357NFCP
What do you use for a bump stop with the B6 strut?

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
569 Posts
Anyone running r/r variant springs & tt pads and rolling 235/40/18x8 et45 that can provide feedback on fitment? Assume this will be OK given it seems lots of Golf R owners run this setup at stock height.
Running all that with 235/40 on 18x8.5 ET 45 and it's great. No fitment issues. I would strongly recommend TT pads + R Variant springs. I barely noticed any positive rake, although I do have a rear hitch receiver that adds some weight. When loaded with bikes and gear it's still lower back there than I want, so I'm going to install a cheap Airlift kit.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I used gti size bump stops all around with my Konis. Cheap, easy and won't affect travel beyond something that you may want them for, LOL. .

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
569 Posts
I've been getting some muffled rattling from my front suspension for quite a while. I installed Golf R springs and Koni Special Actives 1.5 years ago. Rattling has been happening for almost that whole time but seems a little worse lately; it's mostly at low speed, off and on, not always present. Seems to be mostly driver side front that I can hear.

Is there anything I should check other than torque on all bolts? I fear this may be due to the strut mounts--that was the one part that I reused from stock suspension (which had <23k miles on it at the time) based on recommendations here, but I really wish I'd replaced everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey skilaxin1088,

I always thought S3 and Golf R springs were the same, while the A3 and Golf use the same springs too. What shocks are you using? I am guessing you are using either stock alltrack dampers, or GTI dampers, and neither are good for the rear of the wagon with that spring. You should use Bilstein B6 shocks in the rear only, and B4 or GTI dampers in the front. The reason is most shocks are twin-tube designs, and the B6 is a monotube. This means it has a much bigger piston and uses around 350 - 400psi nitrogen charge. It will effectively feel like adding 15 to 20 lbs to your spring rating, while also giving you way more damping control on that heavy butt. I promise you - you won't think the rear R spring is too soft after you do this!
Hi Drader,

I actually am running GTI springs/B4s on the front and R springs/B6s on the rear, I actually followed some suggestions from you and a few other on this thread from a couple years ago. I have been through a few iterations at this point starting with the same spring setup with GTI dampers, Bilsteins and GTI springs on the rear, and now my current setup. I agree that it drives well and most of the time, but I also feel like over larger bumps and dips the front and the rear dont settle at the same time and I think this is backed up by the spring rate of the rear not really matching the GTI or R. You also might be curious to hear that I actually measured the spring rates of a couple springs with using a hydraulic press and car scale(not the most precise but worked better than I expected). The S3 spring from a MR car measure out at about 310 lb/in, way stiffer that I wouldve expected but about in line with what I calculated from spring measurements. for comparison I measured the DSG GTI springs I have and they came out to 240 lb/in, pretty close to the documented spring rate. Neuspeed states the Mk6 R springs were 285, so I thought those might be perfect but I dont know how the length compares to the Mk7.

I've held off on installing the S3 springs for fear that they would be too stiff but I'm holding onto them for now. I plan to order some R Variant springs and measure the rate on those and fingers crossed they will be the Goldilocks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Drader,

I actually am running GTI springs/B4s on the front and R springs/B6s on the rear, I actually followed some suggestions from you and a few other on this thread from a couple years ago. I have been through a few iterations at this point starting with the same spring setup with GTI dampers, Bilsteins and GTI springs on the rear, and now my current setup. I agree that it drives well and most of the time, but I also feel like over larger bumps and dips the front and the rear dont settle at the same time and I think this is backed up by the spring rate of the rear not really matching the GTI or R. You also might be curious to hear that I actually measured the spring rates of a couple springs with using a hydraulic press and car scale(not the most precise but worked better than I expected). The S3 spring from a MR car measure out at about 310 lb/in, way stiffer that I wouldve expected but about in line with what I calculated from spring measurements. for comparison I measured the DSG GTI springs I have and they came out to 240 lb/in, pretty close to the documented spring rate. Neuspeed states the Mk6 R springs were 285, so I thought those might be perfect but I dont know how the length compares to the Mk7.

I've held off on installing the S3 springs for fear that they would be too stiff but I'm holding onto them for now. I plan to order some R Variant springs and measure the rate on those and fingers crossed they will be the Goldilocks.
Do you think the imbalance could be more a function of the B4’s vs B6’s. ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you think the imbalance could be more a function of the B4’s vs B6’s. ?
This has definitely crossed my mind. I put the B4s on the front this spring to replace the GTI takeoffs I had which I suspect weren't as new as advertised when I bought them. The B4s definitely improved the ride quality buts thats compared to a potentially worn out strut. I would've liked to go B6s on the front but they were out of stock everywhere last spring and also 2-3x more expensive. Going back to the rear R springs with bilsteins all around is the best setup I've had yet and I could see it being acceptable to some, but on the roads I drive the rear moving around is pretty noticeable especially with any weight in it. It seemed to me the continuing to stiffen up the rear was the right direction.

I'm curious if people like Drader who are running the same setup have also done a sway bar. I have not yet but plan on doing it soon. It should obviously improve body roll on turn in and I'm hoping will stiffen things up a little over uneven bumps as well and maybe get me where I want to be.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I never thought the $3 front lower spring pad was going to be the problem but here I am waiting to assemble my Golf R / B4 struts and it’s on a nationwide back order with no ETA…
I just order a pair from England for like 5x US cost. Check Ebay, still worth it but will be weeks to arrive. With current supply chain issues, I didn't want to chance it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This has definitely crossed my mind. I put the B4s on the front this spring to replace the GTI takeoffs I had which I suspect weren't as new as advertised when I bought them. The B4s definitely improved the ride quality buts thats compared to a potentially worn out strut. I would've liked to go B6s on the front but they were out of stock everywhere last spring and also 2-3x more expensive. Going back to the rear R springs with bilsteins all around is the best setup I've had yet and I could see it being acceptable to some, but on the roads I drive the rear moving around is pretty noticeable especially with any weight in it. It seemed to me the continuing to stiffen up the rear was the right direction.

I'm curious if people like Drader who are running the same setup have also done a sway bar. I have not yet but plan on doing it soon. It should obviously improve body roll on turn in and I'm hoping will stiffen things up a little over uneven bumps as well and maybe get me where I want to be.
I was planning GTI front spring and R Variant rear on my 2017 Alltrack, but now you have me thinking I should get some R front springs too.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I deeply regret not adding them to my e-acca order for the R variant springs. Already checked eBay but none to be found.
Sent you a link but those should be re-usable unless torn up.

Reactions: greginacar

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was planning GTI front spring and R Variant rear on my 2017 Alltrack, but now you have me thinking I should get some R front springs too.
I actually think that's the setup to go with and I think its ultimately my goal. Many people have done golf R fronts and R Variant rears, but the alltrack is lighter in front than the golf R and about the same and the GTI. The R and GTI have about the same wheel rate in the front so I think the alltrack on GTI springs will be the same as the stock R/GTI.

I just ordered a sway bar and will hopefully get it on in the next week. Unless that really changes the ride of my car which I don't expect it to, I'll probably order some R variant springs in the next few weeks. I will try to measure the spring rates of them before I put them on because I haven't been able to find that anywhere. I'm expecting them to be ~280lb/in which would give the Variant the same wheel rate as the hatchback and I'm hoping will eliminate the dip I'm feeling on the R hatch springs.

If you wanted to go R springs on the front I'd probably suggest the S3 mag-ride springs that I measured to be about 310. I think that would probably be fairly firm but should be a good match.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I actually think that's the setup to go with and I think its ultimately my goal. Many people have done golf R fronts and R Variant rears, but the alltrack is lighter in front than the golf R and about the same and the GTI. The R and GTI have about the same wheel rate in the front so I think the alltrack on GTI springs will be the same as the stock R/GTI.

I just ordered a sway bar and will hopefully get it on in the next week. Unless that really changes the ride of my car which I don't expect it to, I'll probably order some R variant springs in the next few weeks. I will try to measure the spring rates of them before I put them on because I haven't been able to find that anywhere. I'm expecting them to be ~280lb/in which would give the Variant the same wheel rate as the hatchback and I'm hoping will eliminate the dip I'm feeling on the R hatch springs.

If you wanted to go R springs on the front I'd probably suggest the S3 mag-ride springs that I measured to be about 310. I think that would probably be fairly firm but should be a good match.
I was given some GTI struts and rear shocks/springs w/30,000 miles on them, and have already ordered the R Variant rear springs. I have 10,000 miles on the stock Alltrack suspension, and will probably use B4's (spec'd for the GTI) all around, and maybe the EuroSport Camber Kit. If I don't like the balance, I can always add different front springs in the future.

1201 - 1220 of 1247 Posts