VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1247 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was given some GTI struts and rear shocks/springs w/30,000 miles on them, and have already ordered the R Variant rear springs. I have 10,000 miles on the stock Alltrack suspension, and will probably use B4's (spec'd for the GTI) all around, and maybe the EuroSport Camber Kit. If I don't like the balance, I can always add different front springs in the future.
I think thats gunna be a great setup. If I had to do it again with what I know now that's exactly what I'd do or maybe B6's all around.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was given some GTI struts and rear shocks/springs w/30,000 miles on them, and have already ordered the R Variant rear springs. I have 10,000 miles on the stock Alltrack suspension, and will probably use B4's (spec'd for the GTI) all around, and maybe the EuroSport Camber Kit. If I don't like the balance, I can always add different front springs in the future.
Why a Camber kit? You'll be near stock GTI height with the same alignment options as a stock GTI in front and R in back. Balance should be good but hold off on a rear bar until you drive it for a bit. Your adding a bit of rear bias in that setup which is good but you don't want to over do it if you ever have weight back there.

·
Registered
2017 VW Alltrack S DSG Silk Blue
38 Posts
Why a Camber kit? You'll be near stock GTI height with the same alignment options as a stock GTI in front and R in back. Balance should be good but hold off on a rear bar until you drive it for a bit. Your adding a bit of rear bias in that setup which is good but you don't want to over do it if you ever have weight back there.
I’m coming from autocrossing a slightly lowered NC MX-5, which had a fully adjustable suspension, and could get good camber in the front to help with handling, and benefitted greatly from a stiffer rear sway bar. I’m unfamiliar with the available camber from a stock height GTI.

Also expecting the Alltrack to rotate better with the softer front GTI springs vs stiffer rear R Variant springs, and the weight balance from a wagon.

I used to own an old Plymouth Fury wagon, and you could alter it’s handling from understeer to severe oversteer just by changing the front/rear tire pressure balance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m coming from autocrossing a slightly lowered NC MX-5, which had a fully adjustable suspension, and could get good camber in the front to help with handling, and benefitted greatly from a stiffer rear sway bar. I’m unfamiliar with the available camber from a stock height GTI.

Also expecting the Alltrack to rotate better with the softer front GTI springs vs stiffer rear R Variant springs, and the weight balance from a wagon.

I used to own an old Plymouth Fury wagon, and you could alter it’s handling from understeer to severe oversteer just by changing the front/rear tire pressure balance.
I dont believe a camber kit is really necessary just going to stock GTI height but I will say that one of my fronts is slightly out of spec and since there is no front camber adjustment I'm sort of stuck with it. Doesn't bother me really since its close, but if you care the camber kit isn't a bad idea.

One other point, the Alltrack with Variant springs(and also the R hatchback) will still probably be softer than the stock GTI in the rear based on the motion ratio calcs I've done. The wheel rates of the GTI and R are actually about the same. The GTI is a little softer in the front and stiffer in the rear I assume because its fwd. Obviously there is a different weight distribution so dynamically there will probably be some impact from that. I would love if I could get the Alltrack to rotate like my WRX did...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont believe a camber kit is really necessary just going to stock GTI height but I will say that one of my fronts is slightly out of spec and since there is no front camber adjustment I'm sort of stuck with it. Doesn't bother me really since its close, but if you care the camber kit isn't a bad idea.

One other point, the Alltrack with Variant springs(and also the R hatchback) will still probably be softer than the stock GTI in the rear based on the motion ratio calcs I've done. The wheel rates of the GTI and R are actually about the same. The GTI is a little softer in the front and stiffer in the rear I assume because its fwd. Obviously there is a different weight distribution so dynamically there will probably be some impact from that. I would love if I could get the Alltrack to rotate like my WRX did...

You got a WRX to rotate? ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So what's the consensus GTI in the front and R Variant in the back ?
Also if R Variant spring is little longer what shock to use ?
You'll want to use stock GTI/R height shocks. The Variant springs should give you stock R ride height, I believe the extra length is just to make up for more compression due to the added weight of the wagon.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Makes sense and if it's for that purpose, go for it. I prefer more rear bias than most as well but since it's a wagon, if you're loaded back there and you need an emergency maneuver on a slick road... Sounds like you got it down but I was thinking wagon use and worst case scenario. Like braking on a slick offramp with a couple hundred pounds on the back.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is so confusing
Can someone publish spring rates if available.
I was only able to find spring weight codes
Example Alltrack spring = 7
Audi A3 = 3
A3 and Alltrack almost weight the same confused 🤔

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
569 Posts
Why are people using GTI springs in front? It only makes sense to me if you're trying to build a suspension with the cheapest secondhand parts possible. The front R springs come in different version for manual or DSG (I don't think the GTI springs do) which helps dial in the ride height. R front and R Variant rear is awesome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why are people using GTI springs in front? It only makes sense to me if you're trying to build a suspension with the cheapest secondhand parts possible. The front R springs come in different version for manual or DSG (I don't think the GTI springs do) which helps dial in the ride height. R front and R Variant rear is awesome.
I’m open to all suggestions. Was given GTI suspension and seems like others here used GTI front, R Variant rears successfully. Just starting to gather parts, and have the R Variant rear springs on order.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree. If you have GTI springs like I do, use the lot and stack an EMD spacer on a TT pad in back. I carry loads plus people in the back and have never bottomed out. Here it is on a slight uphill that would bias weight back a touch. Spring rate is still clearly higher than stock alltrack/sportwagen so squat isn't an issue.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

If you want R spring rate, buy R front and avant back. If you're OK with GTI spring rate which is still significantly stiffer than stock both front and rear, just do that. I forget the actual rates but the GTI has a greater rear spring bias than the wagons or even the R does. The GTI springs have the highest rear to front spring ratio of the Mk7s. It's not soft back there but you need to control the height. The handling Bias will actually be better than stock but it could still use an R or aftermarket rear bar if you want the back balance closer to neutral.

I'd just install what you got, perhaps with better shocks, stack a spacer in the rear if you prefer it a little higher than the front as I do, and see how you like it. Go from there. B4s ride great. Special Actives (what I use) do not ride as well as B4s but clearly better than B6s over small imperfections like tar strips etc. If the stock shocks are OK, they'll work fine as well but the least good option. For the amount of work involved, I'd swap shocks and at least the B4s are reasonably cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don’t see sway bar links in any of the part lists in this thread. Is anyone swapping out for shorter or adjustable front end links when they lower? If using R springs should I grab some R end links to have the correct length for the new ride height?

Edit: I think the answer is they all use the same length front end links but leaving this for someone smarter than me to answer…

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this was a popular option due to the availability of the springs and GTI fronts/R rears seemed like a good match to get cheap GTI-like ride quality and handling. I am currently running this setup and its good, maybe good enough for some depending on where you drive. I find that the rear is still too soft though so I will likely be going to variant springs soon.

I will however keep the GTI springs on the front as I think this will be the right match for the Variant rears. The golf R and GTI are almost identical wheel rate on the front and the alltrack front axle weight is nearly identical to the GTI so it follows that an alltrack on GTI springs will give you the same wheel rate as a GTI which is the same as a golf R. There are a lot of assumptions going on about the R variant since we have very little info on it(same front weight as R, same rear weight at Alltrack) but given that rears are a lot easier to change than fronts I'm happy to just change those and see how it rides.

End of the day its all subjective. I've come to terms that I'm probably not going to achieve a true OEM ride quality but should be able to get close and hopefully we can all tune it to our liking with the parts available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don’t see sway bar links in any of the part lists in this thread. Is anyone swapping out for shorter or adjustable front end links when they lower? If using R springs should I grab some R end links to have the correct length for the new ride height?

Edit: I think the answer is they all use the same length front end links but leaving this for someone smarter than me to answer…
End links are the same for all Mk7s I believe. No need to change them unless you're going to a real stiff bar or need the spherical bearing for adjustability.

·
Registered
2018 VW Alltrack SE
569 Posts
I think this was a popular option due to the availability of the springs and GTI fronts/R rears seemed like a good match to get cheap GTI-like ride quality and handling. I am currently running this setup and its good, maybe good enough for some depending on where you drive. I find that the rear is still too soft though so I will likely be going to variant springs soon.

I will however keep the GTI springs on the front as I think this will be the right match for the Variant rears. The golf R and GTI are almost identical wheel rate on the front and the alltrack front axle weight is nearly identical to the GTI so it follows that an alltrack on GTI springs will give you the same wheel rate as a GTI which is the same as a golf R. There are a lot of assumptions going on about the R variant since we have very little info on it(same front weight as R, same rear weight at Alltrack) but given that rears are a lot easier to change than fronts I'm happy to just change those and see how it rides.

End of the day its all subjective. I've come to terms that I'm probably not going to achieve a true OEM ride quality but should be able to get close and hopefully we can all tune it to our liking with the parts available.
Makes sense. But since the manual Alltracks are 45 lbs lighter over the front wheels, a manual AT with GTI front springs might ride a big higher than desired.

1221 - 1240 of 1247 Posts