VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1267 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think this was a popular option due to the availability of the springs and GTI fronts/R rears seemed like a good match to get cheap GTI-like ride quality and handling. I am currently running this setup and its good, maybe good enough for some depending on where you drive. I find that the rear is still too soft though so I will likely be going to variant springs soon.

I will however keep the GTI springs on the front as I think this will be the right match for the Variant rears. The golf R and GTI are almost identical wheel rate on the front and the alltrack front axle weight is nearly identical to the GTI so it follows that an alltrack on GTI springs will give you the same wheel rate as a GTI which is the same as a golf R. There are a lot of assumptions going on about the R variant since we have very little info on it(same front weight as R, same rear weight at Alltrack) but given that rears are a lot easier to change than fronts I'm happy to just change those and see how it rides.

End of the day its all subjective. I've come to terms that I'm probably not going to achieve a true OEM ride quality but should be able to get close and hopefully we can all tune it to our liking with the parts available.
R front springs are about 10% stiffer. Either get R springs or go with what I said earlier. What you're getting will work OK but your assumption about rates is wrong and the back will be stiffer relative to the front. If you go the route you intend, don't change the rear bar until you test it as the handling will have more rear bias than even an R avant. The Avant uses the same rear bar as an Alltrack. If you have a non 4wd model, it's lighter than the avant and the rear will be that much higher and stiffer. The GTI springs have the highest back to front spring bias of all the models. The biggest difference for the wagons is spring length and not rate. If your sportwagen is 2wd, you're likely better off with the GTI springs you have on TT pads. If you are 4WD and still want some positive rake, do all variant springs or add a EMD spacer like I did. GTi front with variant rear should be OK but if you're going to trouble of getting variant springs, just get the R fronts as well instead of experimenting.

GTI spring rates are: Front - 175 lbs/in, Rear - 230 lbs/in, R is something like 190 front and 240 back. Don't know about the variant but the rears could actually be softer and longer. Since the added rear weight actually helps it rotate. Alltrack rear springs are not stiffer either, just longer and compress more. If they were stiffer, they wouldn't need the extra length.

Reactions: Skeej760

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There, “new” old member here. Been mostly reading posts here and there. Picked up a 2018 Alltrack for my wife a few years ago and decided to drop the car with Bilstein PSS10 B16 back in summer. Took 3 months to ship and got it done last week. Here are some pics on the day I got it back, thought the folks here might like to see. Enjoy.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 VW Alltrack
1,097 Posts
I like the lowered look for sure. Not sure about the amount of sidewall you have on those tires. What size are you running? Looks like it would be a comfy ride though

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the lowered look for sure. Not sure about the amount of sidewall you have on those tires. What size are you running? Looks like it would be a comfy ride though
those are my winter tires with quite a bit of side wall like you said. In summer I’ll change them back to stock 225/45/18. It’s certainly a very comfy ride now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
R front springs are about 10% stiffer. Either get R springs or go with what I said earlier. What you're getting will work OK but your assumption about rates is wrong and the back will be stiffer relative to the front. If you go the route you intend, don't change the rear bar until you test it as the handling will have more rear bias than even an R avant. The Avant uses the same rear bar as an Alltrack. If you have a non 4wd model, it's lighter than the avant and the rear will be that much higher and stiffer. The GTI springs have the highest back to front spring bias of all the models. The biggest difference for the wagons is spring length and not rate. If your sportwagen is 2wd, you're likely better off with the GTI springs you have on TT pads. If you are 4WD and still want some positive rake, do all variant springs or add a EMD spacer like I did. GTi front with variant rear should be OK but if you're going to trouble of getting variant springs, just get the R fronts as well instead of experimenting.

GTI spring rates are: Front - 175 lbs/in, Rear - 230 lbs/in, R is something like 190 front and 240 back. Don't know about the variant but the rears could actually be softer and longer. Since the added rear weight actually helps it rotate. Alltrack rear springs are not stiffer either, just longer and compress more. If they were stiffer, they wouldn't need the extra length.
I appreciate your input, but I have already been experimenting for a year or so with a few different set ups, so why stop now? You may be right that R front and R Variant rears will be the best set up, but the fact that my alltrack is lighter on the front than the R variant at least gives me reason to believe that it will work well with the GTI front springs. Worst case I end up with the rear a little bit stiffer in which case it will handle more like a GTI than an R which below the limit will not be much difference, plus I will have the extra stiffness for hauling which I'm happy to have. Ride height is something that I can dial in with some combination of original pads, TT pads and EMD spacers, I'm more concerned about spring rate. Based on my experience with where I drive I feel that I need a stiffer rear, and I think the calcs I've done agree with that. If I'm wrong, the experiment continues...

·
Registered
2017 VW Alltrack S DSG Silk Blue
50 Posts
I just drove some really twisty bumpy east Virginia back roads with stability control turned off and was very pleased with the stock handling. I wonder how the GTI front/Golf R Variant rear will deal with the rough roads with less wheel travel.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just drove some really twisty bumpy east Virginia back roads with stability control turned off and was very pleased with the stock handling. I wonder how the GTI front/Golf R Variant rear will deal with the rough roads with less wheel travel.
Better unless you hit the bump stops which should never happen without a large pothole small curb etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am loving me some Bilstein B8’s finally got them installed and they are amazing when paired with the Eibach Pro Kit. The car is very different is such a good way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got new Bilstein B4’s with standard GTI springs and bump stops on the front, and Golf R Variant rear springs with matching bump stops. Much firmer ride and feels very balanced.

A local VW enthusiast helped me install them using the 2x4 method. last week got an IS20 with APR 91 IS20 tune and DSG tune installed, and the car is very quick.

Before and after photos.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just got new Bilstein B4’s with standard GTI springs and bump stops on the front, and Golf R Variant rear springs with matching bump stops. Much firmer ride and feels very balanced.

A local VW enthusiast helped me install them using the 2x4 method. last week got an IS20 with APR 91 IS20 tune and DSG tune installed, and the car is very quick.

Before and after photos.
View attachment 142035
View attachment 142034
Very classy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Very classy.

Before and after photos.
View attachment 142035
View attachment 142034
Question for you…you replaced the bump stops in the rear? If I remember correctly, when I installed my springs, there were no bump stops to replace? Was the bumpstop integrated inside the shock somehow? Inside the dust boot maybe? My memory is dingy at best. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Question for you…you replaced the bump stops in the rear? If I remember correctly, when I installed my springs, there were no bump stops to replace? Was the bumpstop integrated inside the shock somehow? Inside the dust boot maybe? My memory is dingy at best. Thanks.
The bump stop is on the shock shaft, covered by a plastic tube that is zip tied to the upper shock mount.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The bump stop is on the shock shaft, covered by a plastic tube that is zip tied to the upper shock mount.
Well, shoot. Guess I still have the OEM ones in there. Meanwhile, the R bumpstops I bought are still sitting on my workbench. Ride quality seems to be fine so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Here is a photo of the bump stop on my old rear shock, with the upper shock mount removed.

Hand Automotive tire Finger Gas Automotive wheel system

The Alltrack bump stop was considerably longer than the Golf R Variant. Here is the Alltrack next to a standard GTI rear bump stop.

Food Ingredient Staple food Wood Cuisine

I didn’t take a photo of the Golf R Variant bump stop, but it was similar in length to the GTI, but there was a black insert inside the base of it. You can see both the standard GTI and Alltrack bump stops are the same color inside their base.
Wood Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Automotive wheel system

The bump stops contribute to the spring rate so I got the matching ones for the springs I used.

Another observation was the Golf R Variant rear spring was considerably shorter than the Alltrack spring. It was close to the same length as the standard GTI rear spring, but had at least one more coil.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is a photo of the bump stop with the upper shock mount removed.

View attachment 142061

The Alltrack bump stop was considerably longer than the Golf R Variant. Here is the Alltrack next to a standard GTI rear bump stop.

View attachment 142062

I didn’t take a photo of the Golf R Variant bump stop, but it was similar in length to the GTI, but there was a black insert inside the base of it. You can see both the GTI and Alltrack bump stops are the same color inside their base.
View attachment 142063

The bump stops contribute to the spring rate so I got the matching ones for the springs I used.

Another observation was the Golf R Variant rear spring was considerably shorter than the Alltrack spring. It was close to the same length as the standard GTI rear spring, but had at least one more coil.
I’m just laughing at myself right now. So this is the rear?

·
Registered
50 Posts
After removing the rear shocks from the car, we couldn't get the nut loose holding the shock to the upper shock mount using an impact gun. The easy solution was to cut the zip tie and slide the plastic tube (have to pry it away from the upper shock mount) and bump stop down the shaft, then used vise grips to hold the very top of the shaft (just under the upper shock mount) and the impact gun zipped the nut right off. Don't worry about damaging the shock shaft as the very top of it never enters the shock body.

Also remember to put the cap back on top of the upper shock mount whenever everything is reassembled before attaching the upper shock mount to the car. (don't ask ;-)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m just laughing at myself right now. So this is the rear?
Yes, that is my old rear shock with the upper shock mount removed (as it was placed back on the new B4 shock). I went back and edited that post to identify it was the rear shock.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, that is my old rear shock with the upper shock mount removed (as it was placed back on the new B4 shock). I went back and edited that post to identify it was the rear shock.
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I’m gonna pop out the rears so I can put in the R bumpstops. Your rig looks real classy. Nice job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I’m gonna pop out the rears so I can put in the R bumpstops. Your rig looks real classy. Nice job.
Hope the tips above about how to get the top shock shaft nut loose helps.

If you didn't pull the rear shocks out last time, here are some more tips.

You don't need to completely remove the rear fender liners, just remove the two T25 screws closest to the middle, near the shock. You can then pull enough of the fender liner away to access the top shock mounting bolts.

On the right rear, there is a black plastic thing to the left of the shock (something to do with emissions) that blocks access to the left top shock mount bolt. You can remove the single 13mm (I think) bolt holding the bottom of the plastic thing, then tug it down (wiggle it) enough to gain clearance to the left top shock mount bolt.

1241 - 1260 of 1267 Posts