VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at new differentials lately after having numerous problems with snow and ice and my stock open diff. Some big manufacturers that I know of are Quaife and Peloquin. Quaife I've seen advertised one LSD for all 02J configurations, which from what I've gathered refers to a MKIV engine setup, regardless of engine. (I've just been told that does not refer to the 337, 20thAE, R32, so I really have no clue what 02J means.) Is that right? If that's the case, does that mean all differentials are the same final drive ratio for every engine option?
I ask because I'm interested in getting at least a limited slip differential for my car. That'd probably be the best bet, I don't need a viscous coupling or anything. So would the LSD for the 02J be compatible with my 2000 TDI?

·
Registered
11,724 Posts
Re: LSD and final drive ratio... (Jeraass)

The differential housing (which determines limited-slip versus open) is separate from the ring gear (which determines final drive ratio) and the ring gear is bolted to the diff housing.
In every case I've ever heard of, during the installation procedure, you detach the ring gear from the stock diff and bolt it to the new diff, thus retaining the same final drive ratio.
O2J refers to the design series of the transmission. All Mk4 5-speed-manual transmissions have a general design referred to as O2J. This determines, for example, the shape of the outside housing, the design of the shift linkage, the arrangement of the shafts inside, etc. The various engine options have different gear ratios inside their respective transmissions (there's another code suffix that relates to what ratios are in there) but they all have the same general design - O2J.
O2J doesn't apply to the 337, 20thAE, R32, or GLI because those are 6-speed transmissions which are an entirely different design series.
An O2J differential is what you need for yours.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: LSD and final drive ratio... (GoFaster)

Ahh, thanks a lot. Yeah I always thought the ring gear came with the aftermarket differential, but you do have a much better explanation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts