VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok kids, I HAVE to find a limited slip somehow. There HAS to be one out there. I can't race if I don't have one. Plain and simple. Here it is. If I can't find a LSD, I'm parting out and selling the Fox 'cause it's useless on the track otherwise.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Re: LSD (Evilclown)

Quote, originally posted by Evilclown »
Phantom Grip looks promising, if you don't mind shelling out $300. They don't list it, but it looks like they can custom make one.
http://www.phantomgrip.com

They list that they can make one for any Audi transmission from '76 - '91, so that should have us sorted. Price displayed is $349.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Re: LSD (the brit)

Or you could source a 914 transmission (or a 911 and flip the diff), install a cable shift linkage, fab up the mounts for it, get one of the adaptor plates that Vanagon people use to install watercooled inlines in place of the air-cooled motors and run it like that.
But I think asking Phantom Grip to make one for an Audi 2P and installing that in the Fox might be a better idea. Certainly easier and probably a lot cheaper too.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: LSD (the brit)

Quote, originally posted by the brit »
I asked Peloquin, and they don't have one that will come close to fitting. If we had a few people maybe they'll make a batch. I'd be in.

Uh..yeah. If we could gather two or three people together for a "group" buy, maybe we could convince a company that makes differentials for the top 1% of performance consumers to tool up and make three differentials for us. I'll start holding my breath now...

As for the Phantom grip, it surely looks like a scam product to me. Maybe not, but I would have to know what would get removed in order for the PG to fit in our diffs.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: LSD (FrankenFox)

ya, um, the phantomgrip won't even come close to helping. maybe on a low HP car running quarters. But, damn...I pretty much cooked my tires today.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Re: LSD (HiJinx)

Oops! I thought this thread was about groovy stuff.
....oh, yeah, about that "Custom Phantom Grip group", I'm in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Re: LSD (SuperFox)

yeah...ok-so-anyway...
I saw a nifty producton HP TV today, but I have no idea how a locker mightbe fitted to our transmissions. It would require mad fab skilz, yo. Still, that would be no good for a FWD street car. Just a Quaife darn near tries to rip the steering wheel out of your hands under power ina turn. Posi FWD is a nightmare!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Perhaps it is not finding LSD for a Fox...
But finding an LSD tranny that can go in a Fox...
Cable shift... Hydraulic clutch... outside the box....
The DHW used in the 1.8t front wheel drive Passats and A4s in 1997 and 1998.
The how to would definitely make the FAQs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: LSD (voxwagen88)

I though i read somewhere that samrabbit from the A1 forums had experiance driving a LSD Fox? Maybe one of you could get in touch with him. I dont think I've seen many post from him lately, not sure if hes on the tex anymore but it might be worth a try!
matt

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Re: LSD (CanadianFox)

If a company was willing to make us an LSD for the Audi 2P trans, would it also fit others trannies? Like the PSA, 9Q/3M and the like?

·
Banned
804 Posts
Re: LSD (CanadianFox)

Quote, originally posted by CanadianFox »
I though i read somewhere that samrabbit from the A1 forums had experiance driving a LSD Fox? Maybe one of you could get in touch with him. I dont think I've seen many post from him lately, not sure if hes on the tex anymore but it might be worth a try!
matt

Liars don't last long 'round here.
I have a limited slip, I call it my "light" right foot

Of course someone could always weld their diff, that should make daily driving fun.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: (Evilclown)

Has anyone asked Zarrir about this??? You would figure that they would have something like this available for the ever-popular fox in brazil.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Re: (dtompsett)

hmmm just a theory but.....the 5 cyl. front wheel drive trannies look similar in size and shape and I'm pretty sure they make lsd for those.....if we could get an adapter plate or something to make the tranny bolt into the back of our engine..........maybe thats farfetched but just throwin up another idea

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Hey.i`m not sure what a LSd is........but if is that thing that don`t aloud the wheels to spin (Like Burn out) some kind of Blocking sistem they have in Brasil......Or in matoscar or beepturbo..I don`t remeber

·
Banned
984 Posts

The Porsche (haha) 924/944 supposedly uses exactly the same guts in their transmissions as a fox. There almost HAS to be an LSD for those.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Re: LSD (angusmf)

yes I've heard the same about the 944. At my local VW auto parts they told that there was a circuiit fox around here with an lsd from a porsche 944

1 - 20 of 25 Posts