VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New pictures on page 4 :wave:
DSC_2045 by johnbennett9877, on Flickr

Hey everybody! I'm John. Been on the vortex for quite some time now and had a few too many mk4's. I'll try and keep this updated as much as possible, but it will be slow as I am doing this alone and outside. Plus I'm a broke college student... :banghead:

Here is my last TDI.

Now onto the current stuff. I picked up mk4 #7 at the end of July this year. Finally got a wagon, and only paid $2500 for it!!! It is a 2002 GLX vr6 5speed. Unfortunately it is reflex silver:facepalm:. Had 158k miles on it, and had not seen a bit of maintenance...or even a good cleaning for that matter :banghead:. The only thing the PO kept up with was oil changes. The vr had a bad misfire, exhaust leak, a handful of coolant leaks, and super noisy chains. But it drove great, and seemed to be a solid car!

I have always wanted a tdi wagon, but with the way the tdi market is you can't come by one cheap. A good friend of mine totaled his '03 tdi sedan back in March and I bought it with the intentions of using the drivetrain. So why not build a diesel wagon with options not originally with a tdi.

Parts list:
Interior and license plate leds
High Bolster Black Leather seats
Golf front end swap
TDI swap 95% complete

To do list/parts I already have but not installed:
Button up TDI swap
Black interior conversion
Air
Fix rust on rockers
Gli skirts
Refinish 4 spoke steering wheel
Rock the c5's for winter
.:R pedals

Plans for next year:
Tune
Nozzles
Real wheels
Redo headliner and pillars
Possible respray

The wagon.

And the donor.

The day I brought the wagon home.

I don't think it had been washed or vacuumed in years. I had to bug and tar the entire car. Here is after a good cleaning.

Swapped some led's over.

Did some trading with a friend. Golf front end (minus bumper) with Helix headlights and C5's. It sat like this for 3 weeks in my driveway. MOAR 4x4 status! :laugh:

Picked up a set of high bolster black leathers.

Found a reflex bumper and two more fenders that were in better shape than the others. Also got some beetle steelies for dirt cheap.

Picked up my "new to me" tdi trans and axles. The trans from the parts car has some internal issues.

Drove the car to Florida and back at the beginning of October. 1800 miles, 27.1 mpg average, and a vr that was running like crap. Didn't miss a beat! :what::)

Finally parked the car on October 28th and started getting to work!

Started yanking the vr out.

Cleaned the bay. 162k miles of dirt and grime :facepalm::banghead:

Then I started tearing the tdi apart.

Had to use my cousin's John Deere to lift the tdi out because the car was in grass.

This place is turning into a volkswagen junk yard :laugh:

Got all the other parts that I needed off the sedan.

Got the tdi prepped for the wagon. Had to take the old trans off, install a new clutch, and put the new trans on.

Old tdi trans busted the cover and has an issue with 5th gear.

Got the tdi set in the wagon. And made it look like a car again.

Swapped fuel tanks, and this is how I left it sitting today.

Hoping to have it running in the next couple of days.

Things left to complete tdi swap:
Install axles
Fluids
Rear beam and rear brakes
A few small wiring indeavors

:wave:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome, subscribed. I get the feeling a gas to diesel swap would but a pain to get inspected in NY state unless the engine is same year or newer. Your last tdi was very nice!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You should swap those high bolster seats back onto the Power bases of the GLX seats so you have power High bolster black seats :thumbup:

Its alot easier then you would think. :thumbup:
Was thinking the same! Awesome progress man, its nice to see more than lowering it and wheels. Glad to see someone actually turning wrenches.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice project. In to see where this ends up :thumbup:
:thumbup:

Awesome, subscribed. I get the feeling a gas to diesel swap would but a pain to get inspected in NY state unless the engine is same year or newer. Your last tdi was very nice!
Here in WV we don't have inspection other than annual, and they barely look at most cars. Especially if you know people :laugh: In your case, my swap would work. 03 tdi going into an 02 wagon.

You should swap those high bolster seats back onto the Power bases of the GLX seats so you have power High bolster black seats :thumbup:

Its alot easier then you would think. :thumbup:
I have thought about this but hadn't found enough promising info to tear into the project. Got any information you can share. Also the black leathers are from a two-door, so they have the flip forward function.

Was thinking the same! Awesome progress man, its nice to see more than lowering it and wheels. Glad to see someone actually turning wrenches.
Thanks! Oh it will get low and wheels too :D

Do you know which tune and nozzles you are looking at yet? Also, any other performance mods in the future?
My last tdi had RC3 and PP764 stage 2 nozzles. Loved the way the car drove. So until I go big turbo, I'll just do as much as the stock turbo can handle.

·
Registered
2009 A8L W12; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1982 Caddy 2.0T
8,274 Posts
I have thought about this but hadn't found enough promising info to tear into the project. Got any information you can share. Also the black leathers are from a two-door, so they have the flip forward function.
The rears you wont need to do anything with to convert them to power because there well... not powered ever in any mk4 lol

But the fronts are easy basicly strip down the GLX power seats to the frame and motors take all the foam and seat covers off etc etc. Then do the same for the high blster sets and swap the foam over the seat frames are identicle and the only thing thats diffrent is the foam and covers, POSSIBLY there will be a extra support bar for the bolsters on the sport bases. If thats the case cut it off and weld it to the GLX power bases. I have a set of power GLI recaro seats i built that are just waiting to be upholstered. But all yuo ned to do basicly is swap foarm and seat covers. and your good to go. Should be easy considering your talant. :beer:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rears you wont need to do anything with to convert them to power because there well... not powered ever in any mk4 lol

But the fronts are easy basicly strip down the GLX power seats to the frame and motors take all the foam and seat covers off etc etc. Then do the same for the high blster sets and swap the foam over the seat frames are identicle and the only thing thats diffrent is the foam and covers, POSSIBLY there will be a extra support bar for the bolsters on the sport bases. If thats the case cut it off and weld it to the GLX power bases. I have a set of power GLI recaro seats i built that are just waiting to be upholstered. But all yuo ned to do basicly is swap foarm and seat covers. and your good to go. Should be easy considering your talant. :beer:
Definitely sounds do-able. I would love to have power bases on the high bolsters. I miss the passenger mirror dropping when I go into reverse. :( Got any pictures of your teardown and rebuild? I'd be interested in seeing them. I appreciate your help dude :wave:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!

Got some progress done today. Rear beam is in and GLI rear brakes are done. Had to get a new drivers side rear caliper, but no one had the right rear. :mad::banghead: I'll paint them eventually. TDI cluster is in. Got the fuel sender plug switched, and it works!!! Put fluids in and primed the fuel system. Air ride controller is mounted and ethernet cable ran.

Put the battery in, turned the key on and the glow plug light came on and went off as it should! :eek::cool: So pumped about this!!!! Everything I have read has said I would have to manually wire the glow plugs. On another note, even after a ton of research the immobilizer chip in the key is activated THROUGH the ignition switch and not just proximity.:confused: So I will have to swap the tdi ignition switch and tumblr until I can get it to the stealership to reprogram the wagon key. :facepalm:

Going to try and get most of the air management done tomorrow, swap the ignition switch, and get it running! And now for the pictars :peace:

Modified the original dust shields. Not pretty, but they can't be seen and I will get gli/20th correct shields later.

Plenty of clearance now.

This little ******* was $26...

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Here is some pictures of the seat backs built

Recaro High bolster Foam with the GLX power metal frame (With motor)

All i needed to do was shave a little bit of the foam around the motor to make the foam fit properly.

Here is what the GLX power base looks like.

The bucket part i the same so the foam will fit perfectly the part tht is diffrent obviously is all the junk underneath (Manual - Power etc)

On the left here you can see the recaro bolster support wire (You may or may not have this i dont know)

If you do have them simpley cut them off the sport seat bases and weld them back onto the GLX power bases.

The foam on the seat bucket requires no trimming at all and is a direct swap.

Swap the heating elements over, rerun the wires and throw the seat covers and plastic side covers back on and your done :beer:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is some pictures of the seat backs built

Recaro High bolster Foam with the GLX power metal frame (With motor)

All i needed to do was shave a little bit of the foam around the motor to make the foam fit properly.

Here is what the GLX power base looks like.

The bucket part i the same so the foam will fit perfectly the part tht is diffrent obviously is all the junk underneath (Manual - Power etc)

On the left here you can see the recaro bolster support wire (You may or may not have this i dont know)

If you do have them simpley cut them off the sport seat bases and weld them back onto the GLX power bases.

The foam on the seat bucket requires no trimming at all and is a direct swap.

Swap the heating elements over, rerun the wires and throw the seat covers and plastic side covers back on and your done :beer:
Einkaufswagen......you are my hero! :heart::wave: I'm going to see if I can find out if the high-bolsters have the support bar. If not, I can get this done within the next month or so. It will be done this winter regardless. Thanks again!

Can't wait to see the end of this:popcorn:
X2 cnat wait to see a wagon rolling coal :thumbup:
Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Einkaufswagen......you are my hero! :heart::wave: I'm going to see if I can find out if the high-bolsters have the support bar. If not, I can get this done within the next month or so. It will be done this winter regardless. Thanks again!
No problem loving your work so far I had a opportunity to do this same build and I passed it up because I was a chicken **** :(

If you need any more help let me know, And check out my build thread for more ideas on stuff seems like you have the capability to do some really awesome work :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 195 Posts