VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
All states are different. In NJ, I can fix a totaled car (and have) and I kept my title…. Title status never changed.

Years ago, I got the totaled car back for free. Last time, I had to pay about $250 for it. They rationalized it was salvage value and I couldn’t profit twice.

On that same car, I was originally offered around $1000. I ended up getting $5000. This had to be 10 years ago.

Have comps and justify the value.

-Todd

·
Registered
Yellow 1981 4-Door Rabbit L FI Gasoline 1.7L
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Alright, thanks a ton to all of you. This is my first accident and I need the money badly.

I was looking at the BaT auctions and they are way more than what I was expecting and was quite happy with that. Typically about $12k I think on average for the GTI models. I was thinking they should value my car at at least about $7k since mine is not as special as a GTI or whatever.

I will have to look into placing a claim on my insurance company if I have to. I don't know anything about that area but it is a nice idea. I also don't know anything about going after the lady who hit me and I thought that would cost me money but the insurance company doing it for me could be good.

The Rabbit is too old to find it on KBB so I looked at how they priced something like a Toyota MR2 and they said ~$1500 for one in excellent condition. That's complete bogus so I am expecting that I'll have to fight my insurance for sure.

The Rabbit was very clean and I only improved how it ran and such since I got it. I have some old service records and basic inspections so maybe that will help.
As for parting it out, I was assuming it'd be pretty difficult and I need money fast. If someone gives me a very good price, I might sell it but I doubt I'll get a good offer.

Thanks a lot for your help on options and such. I don't get much feedback from my parents and it's nice to hear other options or ideas.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Was the car fully covered? Did you have under insured motorist coverage? If not, I do not believe they owe you anything. Most people do not have coverage for that old of a car. Just liability.

Fast? My crystal ball says that is not going to happen. Like my BMW ISTA tester tells me all the time "Please be patient"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Was the car fully covered? Did you have under insured motorist coverage? If not, I do not believe they owe you anything. Most people do not have coverage for that old of a car. Just liability.
I do have full coverage, a $500 deductible, and under-insured motorists coverage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I did get a response from my insurance. They are offering me just above 7k for my car if I make it a salvage title and I keep the car. They offer an extra $300 if they keep it but pbtbtbt I think not.

I'm looking at a Mk4, 1999 GTI GLS so I can have better heating and such for winter coming up. I am going to hold onto the Rabbit for a while because I can still drive it about once I hammer the metal out. I would rather not part the rabbit out and sell it as a whole for a decent price, but, odds are that the person who buys it won't fix it and will part it out. Soooo I dunno. Any thoughts on what I should sell it for if I need to?

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
I gotta admit I really want to buy a Caddy though.
Caddys have the same doors as the fronts on the four door, so you may be able to use many parts from your Rabbit on the Caddy interior. They often need an interior makeover.

All of your other parts in the front half of the Rabbit are also likely compatible.

Reactions: JohntheLeprchaun

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I’d take the $7k, and pay the $300. As mokoosh said, parts will be compatible with other A1s. You’ll easily recoup your money, if you part it out. This assumes you have the space, for it.

In NJ, it’d need to get the salvage title changed to a reconstruction title, to be roadworthy. This in itself, is a process… not sure I’d want to do it.

-Todd

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Woah, how'd you find this?
Just happened upon it on IAAI and thought it looked familiar from your post recently because of the wheels and how clean it was other than the damage. Hope it all works out in the end for you and considering you don’t have agreed value insurance $7k seems reasonable. GL👍

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I’d take the $7k, and pay the $300. As mokoosh said, parts will be compatible with other A1s. You’ll easily recoup your money, if you part it out. This assumes you have the space, for it.

In NJ, it’d need to get the salvage title changed to a reconstruction title, to be roadworthy. This in itself, is a process… not sure I’d want to do it.

-Todd
Oh yeah, it's coming back home. I am sure I can still use it for daily use for a while.

I will have to look into the reconstruction title if I have the resources.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Caddys have the same doors as the fronts on the four door, so you may be able to use many parts from your Rabbit on the Caddy interior. They often need an interior makeover.

All of your other parts in the front half of the Rabbit are also likely compatible.
That's great. I assume big things like the dash and seats are the same as well. I'm thinking I might keep my car and wait for a caddy to pop up for cheap. So I can transfer parts. I've wanted a caddy before the rabbit I've got now and I still think it'd be awesome.

Are the caddies just very hard to find or am I out of the loop on how to find one? I guess I can be considered as being in the market for one now. :)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I don’t think they’re rare… maybe scarce. Research…. these have known rust issues. Many ended up being scrapped.

The damage your current Rabbit has, is nothing compared to what you’ll probably need to fix, on your average Rabbit pick up. It may be easiest, to look to the west or south, if you truly want one.

I almost forgot to ask… Was their $7k offer, their first offer?

-Todd

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I don’t think they’re rare… maybe scarce. Research…. these have known rust issues. Many ended up being scrapped.

The damage your current Rabbit has, is nothing compared to what you’ll probably need to fix, on your average Rabbit pick up. It may be easiest, to look to the west or south, if you truly want one.

I almost forgot to ask… Was their $7k offer, their first offer?

-Todd
I might have to accept not getting a caddy until I have my own place and a good welder. 😂

$7,100 (with me keeping the car) was their first offer.
If you were hoping that I had fought for that payout, I didn't because I couldn't.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts