VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was doing some maintenance on the 16v such as a new head gasket and timing belt. i sent the perfectly fine head out to the shop to have it resurfaced and now it has a lifter like tick, I suspect that this is just a loose timing chain. and it idles like is has a crazy cam. i think that they set the cams incorrectly. what do you guys think?

· Registered
6,674 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (pxahxc)

I think you should check the intercam timing, otherwise you'll never know.
And on the cam chains in these heads there is no tensioner or anything, the only way it would get loose is if it stretched.

· Registered
5,706 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (pxahxc)

pull the valve cover and shck the cam timing. then do a compression check after to see if that ticking is the valves and pistons tapping eachother

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (weeblebiker)

Quote, originally posted by weeblebiker »
pull the valve cover and shck the cam timing. then do a compression check after to see if that ticking is the valves and pistons tapping eachother

Not sure how checking compression would tell you if the valves and pistons were hitting, if they were i think you'd have more problems then a little bit of ticking.
Did they put new lifters in for you? If they did then they might not have soaked them in oil for long enough or at all before installing them. Check your oil pressure also cause if its too low then the lifters will start ticking like its going out of style. Also yes check that the cams are ligned up properly and that there isn't any slack in the cam chain, i got slack in mine and my car idles like sh*t and it's loud so i'll be changing that asap. G/L with the car hope you find out what the problem is.

· Registered
2,368 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (whiteriot)

Quote, originally posted by whiteriot »

Not sure how checking compression would tell you if the valves and pistons were hitting, if they were i think you'd have more problems then a little bit of ticking.
Did they put new lifters in for you? If they did then they might not have soaked them in oil for long enough or at all before installing them. Check your oil pressure also cause if its too low then the lifters will start ticking like its going out of style. Also yes check that the cams are ligned up properly and that there isn't any slack in the cam chain, i got slack in mine and my car idles like sh*t and it's loud so i'll be changing that asap. G/L with the car hope you find out what the problem is.

If the cam timing is off, generally you get lower compression readings.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (machschnelGTI)

Quote, originally posted by machschnelGTI »

If the cam timing is off, generally you get lower compression readings.

but the 16v is an interference motor so if the timing was off would it smack the valves bending them, although i guess there would probably be a tiny bit of leeway with it.

· Registered
48,510 Posts

but the 16v is an interference motor so if the timing was off would it smack the valves bending them, although i guess there would probably be a tiny bit of leeway with it.

theres a couple teeth worth of fudge room

· Registered
5,706 Posts

bent valves don't hold compression

· Registered
1,929 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (SvenRasta)

Sounds like you need to just let the lifters pump up if they assembled the head the lifters need to be bled down ...Thus, after they need to be pumped up,once again bleed down pump up bleed down pump up....

NOW PUMP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: machine shop screwed me... (Rado.16vT)

thanks for all of your input guys. im waiting for my new chain to come in the mail before i pull the valve cover off. it doesnt sound like the lifters but if it is i have a spare head.

· Registered
496 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (X K R O M X)

this happened to me also. it ended up being the chain, and gears. the chain was hitting the top of the valve cover, thus making the noise. it is amazing how worn the gears get. they are easy to replace with a freezer

· Registered
5,706 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (keinreis)

Quote, originally posted by keinreis »
this happened to me also. it ended up being the chain, and gears. the chain was hitting the top of the valve cover, thus making the noise. it is amazing how worn the gears get. they are easy to replace with a freezer

how does a freezer help?
I always have to use a hydraulic press.

· Registered
911 Posts
Re: machine shop screwed me... (weeblebiker)

When things get cold, they get shrink to a certain degree. All the males present can attest to that.
So, get the cam cold (dry ice) and get the gear hot (propane torch) and things should seperate easily. Tried and true old timers trick; works like a charm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.