VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Maestro 7 Tuning: FAQ, DIY, hard data, and advice thread

1M views 7K replies 390 participants last post by  Lowdub02 
#1 ·
I know there is already a Maestro thread as posted by AL@pagparts.com (Arnold) but that is 15pgs. worth of announcements, information, and armchair racing (not in that order), so I would like to have a dedicated user thread for specific information on self-flashing, tuning, logging, and other Eurodyne/Maestro experiences. Please post up anything that would help other Maestro users with their set-up (*cough* settings/hardware).
I am speaking as the owner of a 2003 BEA 225TT, which means ko4-022/3, VVT, and wideband o2 stock with 72k; I have a turboback, TIP, and Eurodyne Stg.1 flashtune (Tapp file necessary for any of this to work, obviously). All the specific info I included (the graphs/info shots) were from a full-throttle pull after shifting into third gear; it was about 50% humidity and 55°F.
The steps to being tuned:
- Get the Powertap unit and cord out of the box (smaller that I thought, not a bad thing); you must have it plugged in to use either the Maestro or Flash programs; the dongle is actually two pieces, it uses a proprietary printer USB cable to connect the cable to your computer. You have to install the driver file before you install any other software. You will also probably have to do a Windows update, that killed 45 mins. on my end

- You then e-mail Chris, and get your UN/PW
- Sign into Eurodyne to download the necessary software (which includes the Powertap driver). You have to download three programs, as each does a different thing:
1. Maestro 7 – tuning suite, allows adjustment of all tune settings with 3D maps (adjustment through numerical settings, maps non-adjustable as of 10.19.2009)
--- Diagnostics (readiness)
--- Boost
--- Fuel
--- Spark
--- calculator

2. Eurodyne Flash – actual flashing program (first picture below)
--- Read + Write the ECU, get ECU info
--- “Log Data” takes you to a separate data logging screen, displays real-time data on many parameters (second picture below)
--- “Read settings” is sort of deceiving, it actually opens another separate screen which is basically V-tune/Lemmiwinks/Unisettings, though on mine boost isn’t really adjustable, as it is currently at 100% but I only maybe spike at 21psi and taper to 19psi.

3. Log Viewer - allows you to analyze the entire log file; you can zoom to a specific section, print the graph, or save it as an image.

- Once you get the software installed and working, you have to Read ECU with the flash program; I would enable hi-speed since my connection crapped out with it unchecked (probably car dependant). Once you read/save the file, you’ll e-mail this to Chris, and he will send you a tuned file. Barring any problems, you will be able to simply download the file, hook up your computer and flash your ECU. Here is a visual sequence:
Action pic:

Reading the ECU:

(…a few days/emails pass…)
Flashing the ECU:

Time to play!!

I will amend this thread if I or any of you guys give me a simple run-down off the specific features, and what each means and does; I’m a n00b and I know someone else can probably just rattle off a simple explanation for each.
I really like the extra power from my flashtune but I’m excited to dig into my tuning; my only complaints are about the logging window; it is good but not great, although you can save the image I know that future updates are going to come for the software. A few suggestions: I would like the log graph to be available in a separate, full window, I'd like to be able to pick my own line/background colors, labels for most/all the variables in the Log Viewer window would help, and being able to define the values for each axis in the graph (such as psi, *F, CFM, a/f) would kick ass

Maestro guys, please contribute to this thread so we can compile a ton of info to help each other out, and I hope this is informative for anyone thinking about getting the Maestro 7
Here is a picture of a full-throttle 3rd gear run, I can get other info graphed if people want…

Modified by l88m22vette at 6:00 PM 10-21-2009

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Maestro 7 Tuning: FAQ, DIY, hard data, and advice thread (l88m22vette)

Geez took you long enough

#4 ·
Re: Maestro 7 Tuning: FAQ, DIY, hard data, and advice thread (16plus4v)

I recommend a full laptop not a net book. Difficult to see the full screen.
the icons on the maestro screen will open all related windows to make the appropriate changes

Modified by VRT at 11:29 PM 10-19-2009

Modified by VRT at 11:42 AM 10-20-2009

#6 ·
Re: FV-QR (halchka99)

Quote, originally posted by halchka99 »
looks nice, i will also be contributing to this thread once mine comes in

que ? wtf.. no more SM4 ?

#8 ·

Oh ya.. brain fart, lol thinking of someone else. Good sell btw http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#15 ·
Re: FV-QR (dubinsincuwereindiapers)

Quote, originally posted by dubinsincuwereindiapers »
Wait a minute.. No access to fuel, timing, boost, and readiness?? That's a bit dissapointing..

It's all there.

#18 ·
FV-QR

Actually I can... He states that as of 10/19/2009 those maps are non adjustable..

I believe you can change the maps, from this picture it appears he his altering the boost duty map, he changes the numerical value which then translates to the visual 3D map. I believe he says the 3D maps are adjustable through changing the numerical data in the table and not through actually grabbing points on the graph and moving them around(I could be wrong thought).
Quote, originally posted by l88m22vette »
allows adjustment of all tune settings with 3D maps (adjustment through numerical settings, maps non-adjustable as of 10.19.2009)

#21 ·
Re: Maestro 7 Tuning: FAQ, DIY, hard data, and advice thread (VRT)

Quote, originally posted by 16plus4v »
Geez took you long enough

Quote, originally posted by VRT »
I recommend a full laptop not a net book. Difficult to see the full screen.

yea, I tune in Maestro on my desktop, then transfer files to/from my netbook for flashing and logging. Even if you could see on the netbook screen having an actual workstation is much easier...
Wait a minute.. No access to fuel, timing, boost, and readiness?? That's a bit dissapointing..

Actually I can... He states that as of 10/19/2009 those maps are non adjustable..

Quote, originally posted by Stinky Binky »
I believe he says the 3D maps are adjustable through changing the numerical data in the table and not through actually grabbing points on the graph and moving them around(I could be wrong thought)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif There is basic adjustment through "Read Settings" in Flash or with a lot of detail in Maestro

#22 ·

Quote, originally posted by halchka99 »
i had uni before. just sold that and ordered this

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
if i got forth with anymore mods to my mk4, Maestro 7 is on the "to get" list

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.