VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparing for my new air intake I'll be installing tonight I decided to checkout the condition of the MAF after 36,000 Km of K&N panel filter use.
There was a very very fine black coating on the plastic grid in front of the MAF housing. Nothing really to get excited about. I have pics, but nothing shows up at all. Anyhow I removed the MAF and surprisingly the metal surfaces ( side and interior ) were very clean. I still cleaned the MAF and let the runoff collect in a white bowl. I was expecting to see a little bit of black accumulation after I had finished cleaning the MAF, but there was nothing at all. The alcohol was still perfectly clear.
If you examine the MAF it seems to be ( dare I say... ) well designed. There are small turblence generators in front of the measuring surfaces that collect and dirt that may still be in the incoming air. Anyhow that's what I've seen. I imagine if anything is going to kill my MAF it's going to be the cone filter I'm going to be hanging off it shortly.
Oh, and the K&N panel filter was cleaned twice during the 36K.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: MAF Inspection after 36000 Km of K&N panel filter use (SnowGTI2003)

Quote, originally posted by SnowGTI2003 »
I imagine if anything is going to kill my MAF it's going to be the cone filter I'm going to be hanging off it shortly.
Oh, and the K&N panel filter was cleaned twice during the 36K.

I think one of the big killers of MAFs is vibrations from the resonance of some intakes and cone filters. But honestly, the MAFs fail in all sorts of conditions so that just points to a POS design more than anything else.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MAF Inspection after 36000 Km of K&N panel filter use (MRP2001GTi)

I totally agree with the vibration / resonace theory.
I'm working on rubber mounted supports to hold the cone filter and pipe in place.
BTW. I was measuring underhood temps before I decided on a cone filter and they were far far lower than I though they would be.
Highway driving it was +2 degrees above ambient
City was +10 ~ +20 degess above ambient.
Temp sensor was placed on the side of the battery box facing the rear of the car. No heat shield.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts