VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had a problem personally. I went out Saturday night with a very good friend of mine whos a manager at a VW dealership in chicago. I was asking him if they have allot of people come in regarding the maf failure. He told me that it is a recall item and that it will be replaced for free. Has anybody had this done for free?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (gqjeff)

I had mine replaced last week. My warranty covered it and the service advisor didn't mention a recall.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (LBC01VR6)

I suspect this is something that is kept in the dark. My car goes in to check MAF next week and i believe that its gone bad. I would also like to find out about this recall as my car's warranty has expired.
..............i hate VW service....An hour and a half of labor charges just to plug into the computer and diagnose. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (vivagarcia)

The MAF should be covered under your emissions warranty. If that doesn't work, try calling VW's customer service number and explain the situation. They should approve the warranty work. Remember that you'll catch more bees with honey than vinegar...

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (LBC01VR6)

FYI - CA has an enhanced emissions warranty. Most states, it's only 2/24 for pre-2002 cars.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (BostonMk4)

what do all of you say is the problem with your car to validate a "maf check" under warranty? bucking? poor gas milage? loss of power? suggestions...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (gqjeff)

I bet if you call VWoA and tell them you are aware of the huge MAF problems they are having, they'll give you a ticket number, contact the dealer for you, and pay for the replacement. My friends window reg. on his 99 Jetta took a dump and he paid for the replacement! I told him to call VW; he did, they acknowledged, through the reimbursement check, that it is an issue. I'm learning that all car companies don't publicly advertise vehicle defects; this is not VW specific. You, as the consumer and purchaser of their product, have to keep up-to-date (thanks Vortex) and fight for yourself and your beloved VW!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (ROCKRLR)

If they dont cover it, you could keep driving it until is causes engine damage. Then it would be covered.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (Yellow Rabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]If they dont cover it, you could keep driving it until is causes engine damage. Then it would be covered.
[HR][/HR]​
oh. what are the symptoms of a bad maf?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (vivagarcia)

quote:[HR][/HR]I suspect this is something that is kept in the dark. My car goes in to check MAF next week and i believe that its gone bad. I would also like to find out about this recall as my car's warranty has expired.
..............i hate VW service....An hour and a half of labor charges just to plug into the computer and diagnose. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif [HR][/HR]​
I called VWofA today and the assigned me a case number and told me they would follow up with my $hitty Service Dept. Very helpful. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Only hope they cover it now.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (bablasz)

quote:[HR][/HR]What is a MAF?? What does it look like??
[HR][/HR]​
Mass Air Flow Sensor........i don't know WTF it looks like or where its at. All i know is that they suck and about 50% if not more people on this forum have had problems with it. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
4,913 Posts
Re: Maf sensor problems? (Golfn'it)

quote:[HR][/HR]I bet if you call VWoA and tell them you are aware of the huge MAF problems they are having, they'll give you a ticket number, contact the dealer for you, and pay for the replacement. My friends window reg. on his 99 Jetta took a dump and he paid for the replacement! I told him to call VW; he did, they acknowledged, through the reimbursement check, that it is an issue. I'm learning that all car companies don't publicly advertise vehicle defects; this is not VW specific. You, as the consumer and purchaser of their product, have to keep up-to-date (thanks Vortex) and fight for yourself and your beloved VW![HR][/HR]​
REALLY??? VWOA never re-imbursed me for the MAF that I replaced. poop...they never even heard about bad MAFsensors!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts