VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
7,953 Posts
Fall '97, I lost the bearing on my oe G ladder. I was still running an all stock motor since the car was under and extended warranty (but not on the G ladder). The dealer offered a rebuild service on the charger and they had no info on who was repairing them. I would be the 1st to use the service. Sketchy! When this article on TEC came out I knew this was the way to go. I ended up paying about $750 more than what the dealer wanted for a stock charger rebuild vs. the TEC GT-1 with a twin belt pulley.

I got another 5 years out of the GT-1 before another bearing went out. Two of those years were running an Autotech Stg III kit. New Dimensions had recently sent a few of their guys over to Germany for a TEC G60 rebuild class. I had purchased my G ladder from ND so it made sense to ship it back to them for the rebuild. It took over two weeks and it showed up late in a box from from an address in OR. ND was in CA.

ND said they couldn't figure out how to get the charger back together??? They shipped it off to BBM to finish it. I was pissed ND said nothing about a pretty significant detail. BBM was really cool about it and said nothing negative. ND had closed it's doors the next time it was ready for a rebuild. BBM elaborated a little more on what happened and why it was sent to them last time. TEC smoothed a resin like compound over the areas they cut and ported their chargers. It did a good job and looked pretty good but, very unexpected.

ND had media blasted the GT-1 when they had it. They didn't realize they'd removed all the resin. The GT-1 showed what it really looked like ... a little rough around the edges, but still mechanically sound. BBM had applied new resin in the past. They kept mum on TEC's process until they closed their doors. The GT-1 was brought back to TEC's spec's after ND sent it over to BBM in a box. BBM's 1st repair and rebuild was good for about five years when the Corrado was a daily for me.

BBM lost money on repairing it for ND on the 1st rebuild. I didn't know that then. I do remember talking to John back then and he kept on say'g I got a good deal on the 1st rebuild and not to worry about it. :p When BBM rebuilt the GT-1 the second time (about 5 years later) they installed the new widebelt pulley they just came up with. BBM has been around for a long time in Corrado years. I can't believe the TEC GT-1 they rebuilt (twice) got close to 200K miles before I killed it from neglecting an oil leak that soaked a wide belt. If I would of had the charger serviced 3 mo's earlier when the G ladder started to bleed I could of saved it from grenade status. The wide belt did it's job for those three months.

Looking back, the G ladder (when serviced correctly) was more reliable than the ecu replacement, 3 waterpumps, 2 rad. cooling fans, passenger side axle, 7 trips in to the dealer for failed gaskets on the trans & motor, complete bottom end rebuild from failed rod bearings, cracked pistons and broken rings, two AC press switches and too many other items covered under warranty until 2007. This car is a case study in what an economical supercharged coupe turns into. At least they got it right with the 1.8t 5v turbo a decade later.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I love about threads like this, is that they drum up old memories from the swan-song years of VW tuning. Thanks for the story Brendan. :thumbup:

While I agree ND should have notified you of what happened, I do give them some credit for having the fore-thought to send it off the BBM once they realize they messed things up. While ND did shutdown, there were few negative things said about them over the years. Sure, BBM ended up getting your business, but ND was always more in the business of parts supplying, versus tuning. Compare that with the business practices of EIP and/or EastSide? Cannot compare.

Had ND notified you of their plans from start to finish, you probably would have been that much more impressed with them, but nevertheless.

:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
7,953 Posts
Nice to see the
icon back on the threads for pages with photos/attachments. It's cool you can hover on it and get a nice description of what it is.
:thumbup:
:thumbup:​

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Nice to see the
icon back on the threads for pages with photos/attachments. It's cool you can hover on it and get a nice description of what it is.
The Icon simply means it has Tags for it's topic. Has nothing to do with there being any attachments.

Calibra Side Skirts.
Azev's
Syncro

So many things that were way ahead of their time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Nice to see the
icon back on the threads for pages with photos/attachments. It's cool you can hover on it and get a nice description of what it is.​

The Icon simply means it has Tags for it's topic. Has nothing to do with there being any attachments.

Calibra Side Skirts.
Azev's
Syncro

So many things that were way ahead of their time. :thumbup:
No, Vbul uses them for Picture, Album Gallery navbar and navtab. If this stuff is important I should of mentioned this one
is for attachments.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
ND was a reputable dealer back in the day. Thats more that can be said about some other dicey G60 rebuilders. For the life of me I can't remember his name. But there was a guy doing charger rebuilds for a while that was a pure scam artist. Walter? bahhh I've put his name and company out of my mind for YEARS. but I remember back in the day all of the issues and beef this guy stirred up. anyone remember?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.