VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: (White5)

Quote, originally posted by White5 »
I took of the resonator and one muffler, replacing the other muffler with a magnaflow...

Yeah i got a 3in DP ... and a 2.5 C/B and magnaflow muffler... sounds good... ill try to take a clip soon for you

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Magnaflow Muffler for an MK V (Old Fart)

I got a price quote today. To have one resonator and stock muffler replaced with a Magnaflow it would be $129.47
I plan on reusing the stock muffler dual tips.
Should I remove just one of the resonators or both?
I don't want to sound too loud.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Theres only one resonator, and thats the first triangular shaped one in the middle of the car, right after the clamp that comes after the catalytic converter.
Remove the triangular resonator, and the "suitcase" muffler in the rear. You wont be using the stock tips, because they are true dual tips that go into the muffler, not a Y pipe.
Don't remove the middle muffler (bulky one) and the resonator together...I did it, and it sounded horrible....so I saved for a Magnaflow Cat-back instead.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Old Fart »
Has anyone just replaced the stock VW muffler wiith a Magnaflow muffler?

not magnaflow but flowmaster baby!!!
I took it to a muffler shop not knowing what it was going to sound like and I didn't know if it was a resonator or part of the muffler.
If your worried about it being too loud you might want to keep the resonator on, put the muffler behind it, then fire it up to see what it sounds like. then you can always pull the resonator off and have them fab up a pipe. That's what i did. However, If I was doing it again i would put the muffler in the resonator spot. Then you'll have more options out back on the bumper.
Wish I had a sound clip for ya but I don't. I was afraid it would sound bumble beeish. It has a real nice low rumble to it.
wait....mybad i have a jetta you have a rabbit....I think you have plenty of room under the back bumper.

Modified by cdbspankie at 8:57 AM 9-16-2008

·
Registered
175 Posts

Will my exhaust sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...lated

Mine is a lot more low pitched, smooth, and not crackly. More of a varoom. It might sound like that chipped with headers, straight pipe, and CAI. If that's what your going for you probably want something different than a magnaflow. Even though that's an R32 i bet you could get your car to sound close to it.
Search this site, someone was running straights from the cat on a rabbit and I thought it sounded pretty good.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (SupDoc)

Quote, originally posted by SupDoc »
Theres only one resonator, and thats the first triangular shaped one in the middle of the car, right after the clamp that comes after the catalytic converter.
Remove the triangular resonator, and the "suitcase" muffler in the rear. You wont be using the stock tips, because they are true dual tips that go into the muffler, not a Y pipe.
Don't remove the middle muffler (bulky one) and the resonator together...I did it, and it sounded horrible....so I saved for a Magnaflow Cat-back instead.
Today, I had the muffler replaced with the Magnaflow and held off on removing the triangular resonator. I thought the sound was going to sound pretty loud since the muffler that was installed is pretty small in size. Boy, was I wrong! The only difference from the stock suitcase muffler and the Magnaflow was just a little bit more growl. I am going back tomorrow to have the triangle resonator removed. It is only going to cost me $10, so that would bring the total cost of replacing the stock muffler with a Magnaflow and removing the resonator to $120. I almost forgot the stock tips were reused with the Magnaflow.

Modified by Old Fart at 9:07 PM 9-17-2008

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (SupDoc)

Quote, originally posted by SupDoc »
Do you have a manual transmission?

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Re: Magnaflow Muffler for an MK V (BlkMkVGTi)

I removed resonator, suitcase, and mid muffler, and installed a mid muffler borla. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The sound is amazing.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Magnaflow Muffler for an MK V (Xyphyr)

Quote, originally posted by Xyphyr »
I removed resonator, suitcase, and mid muffler, and installed a mid muffler borla. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The sound is amazing.
I did the same thing but with a Magnaflow in the place of the suitcase. It sounded like complete sh!t!! I went back the next day and put the triangular resonator back on...and it still sounds way too ****ing loud!!
I regret even messing with the stock exhaust in the first place. I could have spent the money wasted on tinted windows.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts

I did the same thing but with a Magnaflow in the place of the suitcase. It sounded like complete sh!t!! I went back the next day and put the triangular resonator back on...and it still sounds way too ****ing loud!!
I regret even messing with the stock exhaust in the first place. I could have spent the money wasted on tinted windows.

I spent $300 total on my stainless borla exhaust. My exhaust doesnt drone on highway, so its awesome.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

How much is a brand new VW OEM exhaust system for the Rabbit?

·
Registered
7,690 Posts

How much is a brand new VW OEM exhaust system for the Rabbit?

If u were closer id sel u my stock one for $100

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.