VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and tried to figure out some of the difficulties that are had when installing a magnaflow cat back exhaust. I have a 1995 Jetta with a 2.0 . The biggest concern that I have is that it will hang too low, and that it will stick out too far. The solutions I have found for the sagging are either replace the hanger in the rear, or use zip ties around it to tighten it up. The only solution I found to making sure the tips don't stick out too far would be to cut some of the pipe off of the part that slides into the cat before you clamp it. If anyone had to do anything else or make any other adjustments than please let me know. I want to be prepared so when I go to install I don't run into anything that will set me back. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Modified by paulleywaulley at 7:20 PM 9-13-2005

· Banned
2,385 Posts
Re: Magnaflow Question (paulleywaulley)

adjusting your center pipe and over axle section will help with how it hands and how far it sicks out. just make sure you get it to slide onto the cat as far as possible. about the tips sagging in the rear. the ziptie idea works for some, not for me. i didnt feel like replacing it everyday. go to the autoparts store and get yourself the proper hanger. i used a hanger that had a thick solid rubber piece, about 8inches long, with holes drilled into it used for hanging exhausts. cut the size you want, slide it over your stock hanger on the exhaust, and hook it up under he body. i used a bolt to do so. ill try to get a pic for you later.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Re: Magnaflow Question (paulleywaulley)

my magnaflow.. mmm everything is good with it, the tips sit straight, sounds good.. the only problem is one in which you mention, it hangs to low. the rubber hangars that once kept the stock one up, the magnaflow is more up the the height of the hangar itself (where the rubber bits hook on to) my exhaust at the moment sits on the torsion beam, it will remain to do so until i find out a better way to hold it up than zip ties. It may work for a while, i couldnt imagine my reaction if the broke and the whole exhaust dropped down 2 inches to smack the torsion beam where it once sat

· Banned
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My current exhaust pipe is sitting on the torsion beam because I have no muffler, thus nothing for it to hang from. I want to make sure I can avoid this problem when installing it. Any other suggestions??

959 Posts
Re: (paulleywaulley)

ummm...
its designed to sit up and out of the way. if its resting that low, then replace the hangers and ziptie them as well(insurance)
As for the tips sticking out to far a. make sure its all the way forward. a couple of whacks with a mallet will do the trick. if you want the tips to sit really flush. cut about 1" off the front pipe by the cat and knock it all the way forward. That way when the metal expands the tips will be just flush

· Banned
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (wagonist)

Quote, originally posted by $8.99 - Mark of the Feast »
ummm...
its designed to sit up and out of the way. if its resting that low, then replace the hangers and ziptie them as well(insurance)
As for the tips sticking out to far a. make sure its all the way forward. a couple of whacks with a mallet will do the trick. if you want the tips to sit really flush. cut about 1" off the front pipe by the cat and knock it all the way forward. That way when the metal expands the tips will be just flush

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably end up getting some new hangers just. Happen to know how much they run?
Quote, originally posted by wagonist »
two words:
Ill Rich.

What the crap?

959 Posts

Quote, originally posted by paulleywaulley »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably end up getting some new hangers just. Happen to know how much they run?
What the crap?

pretty cheap
ill rich is Fab master flash. he's the head of Magnaflow's tech center, Andy was there when rich was building the exhaust for my cabrio.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Re: Magnaflow Question (Lawn Ninja)

When you get new hangers, get ones for a GLX. The VR6 muffler is heavier and the hangers are beefier.

· Registered
4,954 Posts

Quote, originally posted by paulleywaulley »
Do the VR hangers fit the same as the 2.0 hangers when the bolt up to the body?

Yup. Only difference is the rubber. Like I said, beefier for the extra weight. I believe it is 1H0-253-144-C $7.55 each. You will need 3.

· Banned
11,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Magnaflow Question (DST VR6)

Quote, originally posted by DST VR6 »
adjusting your center pipe and over axle section will help with how it hands and how far it sicks out. just make sure you get it to slide onto the cat as far as possible. about the tips sagging in the rear. the ziptie idea works for some, not for me. i didnt feel like replacing it everyday. go to the autoparts store and get yourself the proper hanger. i used a hanger that had a thick solid rubber piece, about 8inches long, with holes drilled into it used for hanging exhausts. cut the size you want, slide it over your stock hanger on the exhaust, and hook it up under he body. i used a bolt to do so. ill try to get a pic for you later.

Did you ever manage to get a picture of this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.