VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
18,711 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (EffRyeGoGTI)

theres tons of posts about this same topic, do a search and im sure u can find more info, im going with TT 2.5 though, but both are very good systems i've heard numerous times http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Banned
4,638 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (Letsgopens13)

there's never been a back-to-back dyno of these two systems. from talking to corey, i get the feeling that the systems are VERY close competition. it all comes down to money. it seems the consensus is that the TT is a bit better, but the stainless TT is aroudn $150 more than magnaflow's system (also stainless).
i find it a little strange that neither company has purchased one of the other comany's product and tested them back-to-back.

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (Pfeil)

some people are gonna say magnaflow, some are gonna say TT. i'm in the latter crowd, but have never had a magnaflow system. TT is not the prettiest system but it makes the power. they are both good systems, but until magnaflow steps it up with a 2.5" set-up, the good money will keep going to TT.

· Registered
3,312 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (Sofa_King)

Quote, originally posted by Sofa_King »
, but until magnaflow steps it up with a 2.5" set-up,

you mean a muffler w/ a 2.5" "in", right? cause i'm about to buy one w/ a 2.5" "in" from Jeg's.

· Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (abdrury)

Quote, originally posted by abdrury »

you mean a muffler w/ a 2.5" "in", right? cause i'm about to buy one w/ a 2.5" "in" from Jeg's.

no, i mean the complete 2.5" system they have been talking about for what seems like years. why are you buying just the muffler from jegs?

· Registered
8,300 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Pfeil »

i find it a little strange that neither company has purchased one of the other comany's product and tested them back-to-back.

well in order for u to do a back-to-back test it has to be on the same exact car with the same exact conditions... meaning the two exaust systems would have to be put on, taken off, and swapped as fast as possible with no problems such that the conditions would be the same and yould only rent the dyno out for one day only...
OR
the two systems would be tested on the same car on different days that have the same temperature and humidity levels

i'm an engineer.... i think like an engineer.... but regardless... i think the difference in gains would be at MOST 1hp if that
i got a 2.25" w/Borla and love it
for a nonboosted 2.0, the largest u wanna go is 2.25"
for a nonboosted VR, the largest u wanna go is 2.5"

Modified by CuCo33 at 9:27 PM 1-8-2004

· Banned
4,638 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (CuCo33)

i know it would be tough to do it nuno, but that's not to say it couldn't be done. on a lift or in a pit, it takes an experienced installer say a half hour to put on an exhaust, and then another 10 to get it to operating temperature. figure 45 minutes total. it could be done.

you were saying that the tt and the magnaflow have about a 1hp difference? i agree.

· Registered
3,150 Posts

TT is a proven .2 of a second faster than the Magnaflow in the 1/4. Been proven numerous times. Search the 12v forum and see for yourself. Corey's opinion is biased, he works for Magnaflow.

3,488 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (darren p.)

my opinions not biased.
Ive said numerous times i think we give up a pony or to in the top end to TT. .2 in 1/4 isnt a proven (concrete) as its up to human reaction times, temperature, tracj conditions. I know its Billy and he pulled off our system for a TT and got a better time. I just wouldnt say thats the end of it.
there are several factors as to why we built a 2.25" sound and good all around power are the top 2. Get pulled over w/ a TT system , see where you stand with johnny law. Get pulled over with a Magnaflow, we test all of our systems to be below Californias 95 db limits.
Oh just someone find a mildly modded car is cali w/ a TT system and ill dyno it back to back agianst our's.

· Registered
493 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (dub_addict)

I checked out the magnaflow system on the web, but it seems the photos are generic. Are there any differences between the 2.0l & 2.8l 2.25" cat backs or are they the same? I'm aware there is a 2.50" thats coming out. But I'm curious how the 2.25" vr6 cat back is constructed. From what I've seen so far its looks like two mufflers are involved one acting as a resonator. I just haven't had any luck locating a vr6 specific photo of the magnaflow
The reason I'm so interested is I'm trying to keep the db's down but still want the flow

3,488 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (dub_addict)

sorry didnt get to finish....
TT Pro's: Good fit, Good gains, great sound (might be a few ponies higher than the current MF), Not sure of warranty (but with aluminized system its gotta be 1 year, SS might be longer? (but its $150 MORE
TT Con's: Poor Finish, short warranty, no tip or shoddy tip. No db level data available, or adequate testing done by TT to provide sound level test data.
*not sure about rubbing issues on LOW car's.
MF Pro's: Excellent fit, good gains (all around), great sound, LIFETIME WARRANTY, inexpensive
DB Legal in California (one of the strictest states)
MF Con's: some rubbing issudes on LOW cars. smaller diameter tubing (which doesnt means its bad!!!)
With that being said, we have tested, extensively tubing sizes, muffler sizes, muffler cores, core perferation size and spacing. When we make a system the ultimate goal is to not be illegal (due to sound restrictions) make great power, have a awesome sound, have exceptional fit and finish.
Offer a product whose value far exceeds its cost.
Im not claiming we are better than TT in terms of performance, but i'll take the pepsi challenge any day agianst one of their systems.
So, I guess maybe I am Biased.

I'll make this claim, I had a Leistritz Sport exhaust on (2.25 or 2.3") i put on a magnaflow, made 3.3 HP and 4.2 Ft-Tq over the Leistritz (which is aftermarket as well) that was immediate gains, no breaking in, no ecu learning, simply dyno, install, re-dyno.

· Registered
166 Posts
Re: magnaflow vs. techtonics...which is better? (MAgtiVR6)

i own a magnaflow and like it alot but only problem i have had w/ my mkIII is the gay intakes that are offered since i own a 99 wolfsburg 8v 2.0 (wish i had a VR)...bought a eurosport racing intake and yeah its wack so only way to install it and let it work somewhat is to ghetto the crap out of it....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.