VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have pretty much all the hardware to start my build except for bearings. I can't tell if I need to tear down to figure the colors out, or if I can just order am aftermarket set of bearings. Also I found 1 thread that says 3.6 bearings are factory coated. Has anyone experienced or used those?

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,710 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "colors" for sure but its not like a Honda that has different bearing sizes. You can get standard, "x" which is .001 more clearance or .010" less clearance for cranks that needed to be ground to repair damage.

The 3.6 bearings are coated and work well. Generally on performance builds I use King X series.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by "colors" for sure but its not like a Honda that has different bearing sizes. You can get standard, "x" which is .001 more clearance or .010" less clearance for cranks that needed to be ground to repair damage.

The 3.6 bearings are coated and work well. Generally on performance builds I use King X series.
I'm getting the 3.6 for rods, another member pmd me about those. Its the mains that have colors. See the options in this link.

That makes it sound sound exactly like you say it isn't. Also there are threads that say the thickness of the caps is laser etched on the end of the crank.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate it! I think I'm going with 3.6 rod bearings and a set of glyco mains if I can locate them

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
when I built my 3.2 I purchased calico coated bearings from integrated engineering. Never once saw anything about color (which relates to crush when torqued) until now.

I'll try to find my original bearings and see if they mention a color/letter (3.2 mk4 r32)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.