VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a completely stock 1995 Jetta GLX with 115k on the odometer. Previous owner had the clutch replaced 10k ago. As far as I know they did not replace the chains, BUT the chains are completely quiet at this point. This is the most quiet vr6 motor I've ever heard. I've done the research on the "chain sound" and i have nothing of the sort.
I recently developed a coolant leak somewhere in the crack pipe/ thermostat housing region and am about to pick up a kit off of MJM to replace all of that. I'm not going to go with the metal crack pipe, because after days of reading crack pipe replacements, It seems that most find the cause of the leak to be in the seals of the thermostat housing or the o-rings on the stock pipe - not the pipe itself broken.
1. At this point, should I bite the bullet and buy: Timing chain kit, waterpump, serp belt, rear main seal, thermostat housing kit, valve cover gasket, change trans oil and spark plugs = $400+ ?
2. OR, should I just replace the thermostat housing kit for $60, replace the chains when they start to get noisy, replace water pump/ heater core when they start leaking and basically replace parts as they go out?
I don't really have the funds to do the full chain and other parts job right now, but I could make it happen if I put all my pennies together. I'll be doing all the work myself, so labor costs aren't an issue. Just seeing what you higher mileage vr6 owners would suggest? Anything else I'm leaving out? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,648 Posts
just do the thermostat. i dont see why you would want to touch chains that make no noise just because of leaking coolant. replacing the thermostat can be done pretty easy, just a tight space. crackpipe is not to bad, just removing the entire from end and pull the radiator out of the way. (the front end will come off in one clean piece, grill bumper lights rad support, all that jazz)
my chains started rattling around about 53k (bought it at 43k) the driving habits changing may have been the cause but either way, i dropped in some decent money and got the clutch, fw and lsd out of the way because i knew my future plans.
also, ive you havent undertaken a serious mechanic project yet make sure to read up religiously on replacing the timing chains. you want to get it all perfect the first time because if you mess the install up there may not be another chance to fix it
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by dankvwguy at 4:53 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (dankvwguy)

Yeah, replacing the chains doesnt' have anything to do with the leaking coolant, its just that the coolant issue has me thinking of replacing pretty much everything that could go wrong just for the peace of mind. Another thing that helps is I've got an extra car right now so I could get all of this stuff done while I've got the extra transportation.
Chain stories like yours are what scare me. I've got 115k on them and they are quiet? Seems pretty rare. This car was older lady driven before me and has obviously been sort of babied. I don't drive that hard either, especially in the Jetta.
I've done timing belt jobs in toyota camrys, a 2001 honda prelude, as well as put a 1.8t swap in my last VW - 88 GTI. I think with a weekend, the chain job would be no problem for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts