VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New user here and proud new owner of a bone-stock 1998 candy white MKIII VR6 in very good shape! I'll post some pics soon. :cool:

The car looks really clean but the motor has 165k and feels a little tired. My goal is to get it back to as close to original performance and smile-factor as possible without overhauling the engine.

Decided to tackle some of the small things first: Replaced central locking, new struts all around, new Sachs clutch, new battery, new T-stat housing. Engine seems to run fine, no leaks, idles at 850 smooth most of the time, but it can hunt around at 1k when I do a cold start. I think there is a fuel-air issue going on, but haven't been able to get to the root of the problem.

Here are the major issues I'm wondering about:

#1. Timing chains. There seems to be a light chattering noise coming from the upper drivers side of the motor, it gets pretty quiet again when up to temp. I do not know how severe this issue is and the P.O. did not have any record of them ever being serviced. I do not think they have. Pulling the motor and trans is not an option for me, I'm going to have to get this work done. What's the best case scenario with chains? Could it just be the upper chain and guide? I understand you replace them once in the life of these motors. Is chain maintenance always a full transmission-out job?

#2. CEL codes P0411 Secondary Air upstream Incorrect Flow and P0442 Small EVAP leak - Not trying to go down this rabbit hole in this post, just a question: I understand the pre-cat 02 sensors are offline as long as this fault is present, is that correct? Does that mean I'm running rich with a "closed-loop" fuel air ratio? Could this cause a significant loss of power?

Thanks vortex community!

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Volkswagen golf GL 1997 Volkswagen Golf Joker
10,080 Posts
If you have no proof of the chains ever being done, assume they have not been.If you have a shop do them, it will run you 1800-2200 most likely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a white one too :laugh:

the chains...i wouldnt advise to just do the top guide. do it all at once. why wasnt it done when the clutch was done?

and the P0411
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1995162
Thanks - I knew that question was coming! Short answer is I couldn't afford it at the time. The clutch was an unexpected repair. It failed and I had to get the car towed out of town to a German auto shop that would pull it apart cheaply. (I may go back there to do the chains) Turned out it was actually the clutch fork. Replaced it all and called it good, didn't have any more money to put it in at the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.