VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be perfectly honest, my 2012 has been somewhat unreliable since I've owned it which has been surprising since it has low kms and the general reliability stories of the 2.5. I bought it in 2016 at 50,000kms on the clock. I've had dealership oil changes every ~6000kms since I've owned it and I've just hit 80,000kms.

Aside from an oil change, what would be some good maintenance things to do as spring is coming up? Sparks and coils? Transmission flush?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Proper procedure for the 6 speed auto non-dsg is to drop the pan, clean it, change the filter, put everything back together and then fill.

What sort of reliability issues have you been having?

What maintenance have you done to date?
Just routine oil changes and a coolant flush @ 65K

Front sway bar links have been replaced. I've also replaced the Valve Cover and MAP sensor ( MAP 3 times ) , and cleaned out the TB/Intake Manifold ( 3 times ) + software update - but that was due to a persistent P0106 code.

Headlights have also both stopped working. Replaced switch as per research but that didn't help. Tried new bulbs, still not working.

Oil Pan/Block heater ( don't know which one it has ) also doesn't work anymore as of ~1 month ago. Not worried about that until next winter though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
- You're probably overdue on your plugs. I believe they are supposed to be done @ 64,000 kms
- Some dealers may tell you that the transmission is a lifetime oil - that's what I was told by multiple dealers when I lived in Toronto
- Make sure you're doing your engine and cabin air filters as well.

I'm surprised you've had as many issues with such a low mileage vehicle.

With regards to your headlights, is it just the Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) or just no headlights at all? How about high beams?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
- You're probably overdue on your plugs. I believe they are supposed to be done @ 64,000 kms
- Some dealers may tell you that the transmission is a lifetime oil - that's what I was told by multiple dealers when I lived in Toronto

With regards to your headlights, is it just the Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) or just no headlights at all? How about high beams?
DRLs, high beams and fogs work fine. Just the headlights. I'm away for 3 weeks on vacation, so Ill worry about it when I get back

Car has been disappointing for sure especially with the low kms

When I get back, I'll have them do trans and oil change and look at my headlights. I will do sparks/coils and filters myself (dealer wants $400 for sparks/coils hahaha)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Cabin filter- 20k miles/~30k km
Engine filter- 40k miles/~65k km
Trans service- 50k miles/~80k km
Plugs and coils- 80k miles/130k km

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
(dealer wants $400 for sparks/coils hahaha)
AFAIK there is no regular service interval for the coil pack. You don't have to replace them but yes, the plugs should be changed. You're overdue on the transmission service. You should've it serviced at 64,000 kms.

Service at 40,000 miles:
● AdBlue Fluid: Check and add if necessary (3.0L TDI engine only)
● Airbag System: Perform visual inspection (Every 1 year regardless of mileage)
● Battery: Check (and second battery if applicable)
● Body: Visual inspection for corrosion
● Brakes: Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thickness of brake pads, brake disc condition and check brake fluid level
● Convertible roof, CSC roof, and retractable hard top: Check for function and damage, clean and lubricate seals (if applicable)
● Coolant level and frost protection: Check
● Convertible roof: Check latch: (if applicable) (Every 2 years regardless of mileage)
● CV joints: Check for leaks and damage
● Door checks and mounting pins: Lubricate
● Dust and pollen filter: Replace (if applicable) (Every 2 years regardless of mileage)
● Engine: Change oil and replace oil filter
● Engine and engine compartment components: Check (from above) for leaks and damage
● Engine and engine compartment components: Check (from below) for leaks and damage, check transmission, final drive, and drive shaft boots
● Exhaust system: Check for leaks, damage and secure fittings
● Fuel filter: Replace (2.0L TDI and 3.0L TDI only)
● Headlights, daytime running lights, curve lighting, and automatic headlights: Check adjustment
● Hybrid components: Perform a visual inspection of high voltage components and the lines in the engine compartment and the rear of the vehicle for damage
● Interior lighting and glove box lights, cigarette lighter / power outlets, horn, and all warning lamps: Check
● Lighting: Front and rear lights, luggage compartment lighting, turn signals, hazard warning lights: Check
● Power steering: Check oil level
● Rear window: Check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)
● Ribbed V-belt: Check condition
● Service interval display: Reset (if applicable)
● Service sticker: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to the driver's side door pillar
● Spark plugs: Replace (2.0L MPI only)
● Spark plugs: Replace (2.5L only)
● Sunroof and panoramic sunroof: Check, clean, and lubricate (if applicable)
● Sunroof: Open sunroof and check front water drains and clean if necessary (if applicable)
● Test drive: Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, air conditioning, and handling
● Tie rod ends: Check for excessive play, check boots
● Tires: Check tread depth, condition, tire age, wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including spare)
● Tires: Rotate front to rear
● Tire mobility kit: Check and observe expiration date on the tire filler bottle (Every 2 years regardless of mileage)
● Tire mobility kit: Replace tire filler bottle (Every 4 years regardless of mileage)
● Transmission: DSG (non automatic): Change fluid and filter
● Underbody sealant: Inspect for damage
● Windshield washers, headlight cleaning system, and wiper blades: Check for damage and function, Check fluid level and add if necessary

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Service at 50,000 miles:
● AdBlue Fluid: Check and add if necessary (3.0L TDI engine only)
● Airbag System: Perform visual inspection (Every 1 year regardless of mileage)
● Brake Pads: Check thickness and brake disc condition (front and rear)
● Brake fluid: Change fluid (Touareg, Eos, Passat models, Jetta models, GTI, Golf, Tiguan, and CC) (Every 3 years regardless of mileage and every 2 years after)
● Engine: Change oil and replace oil filter
● Hybrid Components: Perform a visual inspection of high voltage components and the lines in the engine compartment and the rear of the vehicle for damage
● Rear Window: Check cleaning nozzle functionality (if applicable)
● Service Interval Display: Reset
● Service Label: Enter the date of the next service on the service sticker and apply to the driver side door pillar
● Tires: Rotate front to rear
● Transmission: Automatic (non DSG): Change fluid (all 2.5L, 2.0L MPI only)
● Windshield Washer, Headlight Cleaning System, and Wiper Blades: Check for damage and function, Check fluid level and add if necessary

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE-RLine 4MO
192 Posts
With spark plugs replacement due, are NGK and Bosch pretty comparable?
Recommended gap?

-------

Update 3/25/18 : Took original plugs out at 50K miles. Not awful but electrode partially rounded with increased gaps.

Stock plugs are Bosch and apparently copper core, so I replaced with same. Recommended gap is 0.043''
Added anti-sieze to threads for easier removal next time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With spark plugs replacement due, are NGK and Bosch pretty comparable?
Recommended gap?

-------

Update 3/25/18 : Took original plugs out at 50K miles. Not awful but electrode partially rounded with increased gaps.

Stock plugs are Bosch and apparently copper core, so I replaced with same. Recommended gap is 0.043''
Added anti-sieze to threads for easier removal next time.
Not all the plugs would require anti-sieze. If you put too much on the plug, it can interfere the ignition.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not all the plugs would require anti-sieze. If you put too much on the plug, it can interfere the ignition.
Right. NGK plugs already have proprietary anti-seize on them when new. If you remove them and then replace them, you may want to add a tiny bit of anti-seize.

I've known many people who have had trouble with Bosch plugs and I've read about those who have had problems with Bosch coils. I've been using NGK plugs in my cars, trucks, motorcycles, outdoor power equipment and they have never given me a problem. The iridium plugs last twice as long as copper plugs.

I've used NGK coils and coil packs in my Japanese and American cars and trucks with no problems.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I got a 2011 mk6 2.5. How often should you flush coolant/power steering by fluid? I got a local shop out here telling me it’s not required but I’m having a hard time getting past that
vw states it is not required. if it bothers you do the coolant. i wouldnt flush my power steering but its your car and if you can find someone to do it then just do it

·
Registered
422 Posts
What if I’m trying to take the car to 300,000 miles do you think it would be necessary then?
Absolutely! I wouldn't expect any automotive fluid in a car to last more than 100K miles or even 10-years of sitting still. If it is not collecting contaminants, it is drying up and clotting.

Here's my approach:
If I had hydraulic steering, I would do a drain and fill 60-80K miles.
I test coolant every oil change. I check coolant color, temp rating, alkalinity, and electrolysis. If it's good, I leave it with a mandatory change at 80K miles.
Auto/Manual trans fluid and filter every 50K miles. (40K for DSG)
Engine oil every 6K miles, full synthetic, approved oils only.
Brake fluid every 2-years or 20K miles.

If you stay on top of these critical tasks, any problems you have should be minor or from normal wear and tear, like tires, brakes, hoses, etc. You could make it well past 300K miles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.