VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: Maintenance Schedule for the GTI 2.0 (D.Passat00)

sweet thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm going to just use this one as my '06 "GTI" (well, at least it came with a GTI) manual has about 5 models and engines to wade through

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (ssaffioti)

Quote, originally posted by ssaffioti »
Wow, the timing belt replacement interval for the 2.0T is 120,000 miles! They must have just figured this out... My 2006 manual does not mention when to change the belt.

maybe it's a lifetime timing belt for the '06!

j/k

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts

It's safe to assume they use one schedule for the entire fleet?
I noticed the 5.0 TDI in there.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (adROCK319)

Quote, originally posted by adROCK319 »
good thread.
quite frankly, i'm surprised you didn't make it into a pdf.

actually, i was going to, but i figured it'd be easier to read this way, since there aren't that many sheets.

13,866 Posts
Re: Maintenance Schedule for the GTI 2.0 (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »

I would think so, what with the V8 TDI, 3.6L FSI and the 4.2L engine mentioned. I think it may also include the City Jetta in Canada (when it says 2.0L Canada only).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wait, this might be dumb, but does that mean oil changes are every 10k miles once you get past the first 10k miles? Or does that just not mention that you should still get one every 5k? I'm sure my car will let me know when I need my next oil change but I'd be pretty stoked if I was good for another 8k miles (I just had the 10k service done a couple months ago)...

13,866 Posts
Re: (ZGerman)

Quote, originally posted by ZGerman »
Wait, this might be dumb, but does that mean oil changes are every 10k miles once you get past the first 10k miles? Or does that just not mention that you should still get one every 5k? I'm sure my car will let me know when I need my next oil change but I'd be pretty stoked if I was good for another 8k miles (I just had the 10k service done a couple months ago)...

Your car may or may not tell you when your next change is due, and it may or may not be right when it does. If you read the schedule you'll see that oil changes are required every 10,000 miles. However my dealer set my car to message me at 15,000 cause they want the extra business.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Maintenance Schedule for the GTI 2.0 (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »

from what i can tell, all us-spec 2007 vw cars, but the beetle.

·
Registered
13,875 Posts

Not surprising, but it doesn't make any sense, nor coincide with the information we got at the dealer. Take spark plugs for example on a 2.0T. Don't replace until 60K....then again at 80K and twice at 120K. The last schedule I read at the dealer said replace @ 20K, 60K, 100K, etc...Dust/pollen filter replace @ 40K, 80K and 100K. Is it every 20 or 40K miles? Make up your mind Vw. I wish they would make one clear, concise list that made some kind of apparent sense, and was actually coherent from the owners manual, to online schedules, to dealership schedules.

BTW, I replaced a 2.0T timing belt last week @ 74K miles, and I definitely wouldn't wait until 120...it's easy for them to say 120K when they won't be footing the bill if it breaks at 100. With plastic impeller water pumps, it's probably a moot point anyway.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: Maintenance Schedule for the GTI 2.0 (veedubtek)

Quote, originally posted by veedubtek »
BTW, I replaced a 2.0T timing belt last week @ 74K miles, and I definitely wouldn't wait until 120...it's easy for them to say 120K when they won't be footing the bill if it breaks at 100. With plastic impeller water pumps, it's probably a moot point anyway.

How did the belt look? How many hours work to replace it on the 2.0T? Seems like it is very hard to reach. I've never replaced a timing belt before.

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Re: Maintenance Schedule for the GTI 2.0 (ssaffioti)

Quote, originally posted by ssaffioti »
How did the belt look? How many hours work to replace it on the 2.0T? Seems like it is very hard to reach. I've never replaced a timing belt before.

Its very similar to a Mk4 2.0 t-belt, which is only a little different than a mk3 t-belt. The part that makes mk4 and mk5 a little trickier is the engine mount... you need to use a jack (and 2x4) to support the engine while you remove the mount... then you'll need to jack the engine up a little to help you reach the bolts.
If you've never done a t-belt before... I'd say at least 4hrs. But I did the last t-belt on my mk4 in about 2hrs (including water pump).
As previous poster mentioned... the water pump has a plastic impeller. As many past vw owners found, these break into little pieces. When you do the t-belt... DEFINITELY replace your water pump... and DEFINITELY get the upgraded one with metal impeller http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I plan on doing a t-belt DIY when I do mine. I figure with my current mileage, I'll be one of the first on here to have to do it... (38k miles now, prolly do the t-belt between 70k and 80k).

Modified by digitalhippie at 10:34 PM 5-21-2007

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.