VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well...when I go to drive the car it will hesitate when starting off..were talking major hesitation..like it feels as if its giong to stall out....unless I have the RPM's up at around 3500 to 4,000...which just isn't what you should be doing...so...I changed the fuel filter, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor...I checked all my vacuum lines...checked my intake boot to see if there's any cracks, or slices in it...there didn't appear to be...does anyone else have any ideas? my next steps are going to be to run fuel injection cleaner, and to pull the cat off the car and see if its clogged...I can't imagine what else it would be...it idles a little high as well...around 1,000 to 1,100
so I guess my ?'s are
1. could a clogged cat cause hesitations like this
2. what else should I check...other than the intake boot, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor

· Registered
10 Posts
Re: major hesitation in my new 89 GTI 16V (The_Jerbel)

Does it do this at every launch? If you turn car off and back on is it good for one good takeoff before becoming unlaunchable?
Plugged cat would give you problems all over the rev range.
I've had a similar problem with a bad fuel pressure regulator as well as another time with a broken knock sensor harness - car would automatically retard ignition.

· Registered
5,714 Posts
Re: major hesitation in my new 89 GTI 16V (Vr6DubNY)

My '89 GLI 16V was behaving similarly here and there. I wound up stealing the differential pressure regulator off my CIS-injected Fox. That was 2 weeks ago, no problem since. The part is expensive(and we're not sure it's the culprit), so try a used one out if you can. My buddy is a 12-year Audi master tech, and he says it's the same Bosch # for many, many Audi & VW cars - That makes it easy to find one. Just make sure you don't lose the o-rings on removal, and wear eye protection - Them little buggers can spit gas pretty far when you loosen the screws!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.