VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im here at the dealership, supposed to get the 12v cover replaced in my center console and get an update on my complaint about my transmission update. So the tech said cant do anything about the update but to complain to vw. Ok no prob. So im thinking he's gonna just pop in the new 12v cover and im on my way.........NOPE. Time goes by and i look into the garage and i see my car with the seats pulled out.....WTF......i ask whats going on and in order to replace that little cover the tech haz ripped out my center console and middle of dash just to put this part in. When all that in my eyes shouldve been done was to pop.off the old.cover and spring and pop in the new. Its an easy fix i was able to do this myself when i tried to fix it last week after i got home from bringing it to the dealer for them to fix. Man if i was told that he was going to rip it all out i would have said forget it, just give me the part and ill do it myself. All that need to be done is partially get the cover in, use a small flathead to push the spring end into its place in order to put tension on the spring so it will self close, and pop in the other side of the cover and bam all done.

but no, now my new car is taken all apart, more potential for something to not be put back right and have new issues. I just hope he'll put everything back the way it was. Now im going to be always worried something wasnt put back right. This sucks.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
It's how warranty repair works at some slimy dealers, the reimbursement rate is less than the retail hourly posted, so they need to bill for more R & R codes.

I just hope he'll put everything back the way it was. Now im going to be always worried something wasnt put back right. This sucks.
If it's not, they'll be able to charge VW for the time to fish around some more. :banghead:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's how warranty repair works at some slimy dealers, the reimbursement rate is less than the retail hourly posted, so they need to bill for more R & R codes.

If it's not, they'll be able to charge VW for the time to fish around some more. :banghead:
man, i hope thats not the case here. I asked him to scan the car as well to see what trans sw version is on there, but he was saying he has 22 appts today alluding he is super busy. So i hope he wouldnt try to milk it if he has that many appts. I dont know man....

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
man, i hope thats not the case here. I asked him to scan the car as well to see what trans sw version is on there, but he was saying he has 22 appts today alluding he is super busy. So i hope he wouldnt try to milk it if he has that many appts. I dont know man....
i'm curious to know which VA VW service dept you used:
springfield vw
alexandria vw
stohlman vw
karen radley vw

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
when it rains, it might as well be $hi77ing, lol!

well i won't have to worry about that one....LOL.

hope u got ur tiggy back and it's all good.
lol! so i just got home from the dealer, so after this ordeal, I peek into the garage every so often thru the service managers office windows and I see the tech slowly but surely putting my car back together, short of story, the 12v cover has been replaced successfully the long way!! BUUUUTTTTT......in putting back together the dash and especially the two front seats, the tech accidentally and badly scratched both front door panels and the drivers b pillar near the floor trip plastic, AND scratched and knicked up my drivers door jam paint!! so long story short and 7.5 hours later im home. but the service manager was excellent he's taking care of the repairs and plus some. the scratched plastics are getting replaced, the knicked paint will get fixed, and 1 month car payment paid by them!

Service manager said this situation was handled in an ill manner and I shouldve been given weekend loaner vehicle. The job took 6 hours and i was waiting the entire time. He said if he wouldve known about the task to get this little 12v cover installed he wouldve stopped it immediately and informed me. I wish I had known too, I wouldve said forget it, not worth it. But since I partially fixed the broken one last week, just by popping the cover and spring off by hand (center dash and center console not even thought about to remove) and getting a small flathead to push and wind the spring into place then pop the cover back on, this was all that in my mind was needed to do this job. i even got the service advisor to get me into the bay and explain to the tech how i did the procedure at home. they showed me the new piece, it was two pieces, a small plastic cylinder that popes into the centerconsole which then the outlet itself pops into that. i explained to them how i did it last week, then he said how will you know it'll hold, then i said well the problems lies in the broken spring which was shorter than new one so i know it will hold. then he got frustrated and said i'll do it however you want me to, then the service advisor said to just let him finish the way he was doing it since that car was in pieces already.

i was upset but i didnt go postal, im picky with my vehicles and for it to be torn down that way as a brand new car, pisses off my OCD'ness, and makes me mentally ill for some time! lol! i constantly wonder did he put everything back correctly, if not, how can i prove its wrong and was caused by his negligence if some other issues pops up due to sloppy work.

my car feels old to me now! lol!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wow, sounds like either a newbie tech, or a completely incompetent one.

I've only had my car in once where they had to remove the center console. My electronic parking break freaked out and wouldn't work anymore (might have been the coffee that got spilled on it :sly: ). To replace that they removed the center console, but didn't have to remove the seats or anything else, just the center console. No clue what your guy was doing. Oh and they put it back great, no problems, solid as a rock. And done under warranty.

This was Stohlman in VA where so far I've been pretty pleased with their work quality, by far better than ANY VW dealer I tried in MD. My only gripe is their service costs... they want around $1K for the 40k service coming, sounds insane!

·
Registered
478 Posts
lol! so i just got home from the dealer, so after this ordeal, I peek into the garage every so often thru the service managers office windows and I see the tech slowly but surely putting my car back together, short of story, the 12v cover has been replaced successfully the long way!! BUUUUTTTTT......in putting back together the dash and especially the two front seats, the tech accidentally and badly scratched both front door panels and the drivers b pillar near the floor trip plastic, AND scratched and knicked up my drivers door jam paint!! so long story short and 7.5 hours later im home. but the service manager was excellent he's taking care of the repairs and plus some. the scratched plastics are getting replaced, the knicked paint will get fixed, and 1 month car payment paid by them!

Service manager said this situation was handled in an ill manner and I shouldve been given weekend loaner vehicle. The job took 6 hours and i was waiting the entire time. He said if he wouldve known about the task to get this little 12v cover installed he wouldve stopped it immediately and informed me. I wish I had known too, I wouldve said forget it, not worth it. But since I partially fixed the broken one last week, just by popping the cover and spring off by hand (center dash and center console not even thought about to remove) and getting a small flathead to push and wind the spring into place then pop the cover back on, this was all that in my mind was needed to do this job. i even got the service advisor to get me into the bay and explain to the tech how i did the procedure at home. they showed me the new piece, it was two pieces, a small plastic cylinder that popes into the centerconsole which then the outlet itself pops into that. i explained to them how i did it last week, then he said how will you know it'll hold, then i said well the problems lies in the broken spring which was shorter than new one so i know it will hold. then he got frustrated and said i'll do it however you want me to, then the service advisor said to just let him finish the way he was doing it since that car was in pieces already.

i was upset but i didnt go postal, im picky with my vehicles and for it to be torn down that way as a brand new car, pisses off my OCD'ness, and makes me mentally ill for some time! lol! i constantly wonder did he put everything back correctly, if not, how can i prove its wrong and was caused by his negligence if some other issues pops up due to sloppy work.

my car feels old to me now! lol!
I feel your pain- our Tiguan went in for warranty repair and came back worse than it went in...brought it in a second time and it was butchered and damaged even worse still. Currently in month seven trying to get these things (and many other problems) worked out with VW of Canada and VW AG.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, sounds like either a newbie tech, or a completely incompetent one.

I've only had my car in once where they had to remove the center console. My electronic parking break freaked out and wouldn't work anymore (might have been the coffee that got spilled on it :sly: ). To replace that they removed the center console, but didn't have to remove the seats or anything else, just the center console. No clue what your guy was doing. Oh and they put it back great, no problems, solid as a rock. And done under warranty.

This was Stohlman in VA where so far I've been pretty pleased with their work quality, by far better than ANY VW dealer I tried in MD. My only gripe is their service costs... they want around $1K for the 40k service coming, sounds insane!
The service manager says he's a good tech......I can't comment on that. lol. But if common sense would kick in and tell him OK youre not actually replacing the 12v outlet, just the stupid dust cover and spring, then my car would have been spared from the evils he imposed on it! Thanks for the suggestion for the dealer in stohlman. I'll keep them in mind if I ever move out of B.F. Culpeper, VA lol!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel your pain- our Tiguan went in for warranty repair and came back worse than it went in...brought it in a second time and it was butchered and damaged even worse still. Currently in month seven trying to get these things (and many other problems) worked out with VW of Canada and VW AG.

Good luck to you.
Wow, sorry to hear about the long term problems youre having. I hope everything gets taken care of and then some. Good luck to you as well!

·
Registered
71 Posts
would you happen to have the picture of the 12V cover that you are trying to replace?
I'm trying to picture which one..
the one by the under the radio? in the armrest or by the back passenger seat?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
would you happen to have the picture of the 12V cover that you are trying to replace?
I'm trying to picture which one..
the one by the under the radio? in the armrest or by the back passenger seat?
Its the one in the center console, which is the same exact as the one on the rear side of the center console facing rear seats, and the same as the 12v cover in the trunk area. Only difference is the way "12V" is written due to which way the 12v cover is hinged. I dont have any pics, sorry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
so the cover broke off and he has to remove all your interior to install..:mad:

from what I read, it seems like he's not happy withe doing this minor work!!!
now i'm afraid to ask the Tech to take the dead bugs out of my roof reading light..he might remove the whole bluetooth assembly as well :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so the cover broke off and he has to remove all your interior to install..:mad:

from what I read, it seems like he's not happy withe doing this minor work!!!
now i'm afraid to ask the Tech to take the dead bugs out of my roof reading light..he might remove the whole bluetooth assembly as well :(
Common sense would tell me anyway to find a easier way to do the job, but get the same good quality end result. but thats just met....lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.