VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to the article

"Mr. Allen Swift ( Springfield , MA.) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Picadilly P1 Roadster from his father, brand new - as a graduation gift in 1928. He drove it up until his death last year...at the age of 102 !! He was the oldest living owner of a car from new. Just thought you'd like to see it. He donated it to a Springfield museum after his death. It has 170,000 miles on it, still runs like a Swiss watch, dead silent at any speed and is in perfect cosmetic condition. (82 years) That's approximately 2000 miles per year..."

Hopefully this isn't a repost. I did a quick search but didn't bother going back to 2010 to look.

So, what is the longest you have owned a car, either from new or used?

For me it was a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix that I got used in 2001 and drove until 2007.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
I had owned my MkIII Golf for 17 years from new when I sold it for my new Golf TDI. There was nothing wrong with it, other than it had no airbags. Great low cost of ownership, extremely reliable, and decent handling (for the time).

·
Registered
25,717 Posts
I'm actually not that impressed.

Being that he was given a Rolls at the age of 20, means his family and himself were rolling in cash.

This was just before the Great Depression remember. To even be able to keep the car over the next few years means they were filthy rich.

It's not hard to keep something nice when you can afford to stick it in a warehouse and pay to have it maintained in tip top shape. I'd have much more admiration for an average Joe that kept a normal car alive a long time. There is significantly less motivation when it is a plain car owned by a plain guy with less means to do so. So when that does happen, it shows greater sacrifice, and a true love of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

Being that he was given a Rolls at the age of 20, means his family and himself were rolling in cash.

This was just before the Great Depression remember. To even be able to keep the car over the next few years means they were filthy rich.

It's not hard to keep something nice when you can afford to stick it in a warehouse and pay to have it maintained in tip top shape. I'd have much more admiration for an average Joe that kept a normal car alive a long time. There is significantly less motivation when it is a plain car owned by a plain guy with less means to do so. So when that does happen, it shows greater sacrifice, and a true love of the vehicle.
Troll elsewhere and quit bashing the rich. Just because you have money doesn't mean you don't care about cars as much as the next person. I'll bet this guy could have bought a brand new S Class if he wanted to.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

Wah wah wah. You fail on so many levels. :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Troll elsewhere and quit bashing the rich. Just because you have money doesn't mean you don't care about cars as much as the next person. I'll bet this guy could have bought a brand new S Class if he wanted to.
He has a point...Wow, rich dude kept a really expensive and timeless classic for his entire life. It doesn't mean it was his daily driver and he probably owned many other cars at the same time...All it means is he had the coin to keep and maintain a really expensive car for a lifetime, not that difficult. Hell, he donated a cool $1 Million along with the Rolls when he died...

There's more to the story if a poor guy kept his 1965 Chevy Pick Up from turning to dust by wrenching on it in his garage and it having a million miles on it...

·
Registered
455 Posts

Really? Not impressed? You're so jaded and world weary that nothing impresses you any more?
He kept the car for EIGHTY TWO YEARS! Nobody does anything for 82 years.
Filthy rich? Maybe - but wouldn't that be even more impressive as don't most rich people keep cars for shorter periods of time? (I'm generalizing just as much as you)

Is there a formula of car "plain-ness" vs. length of ownership vs. net personal worth = awesomeness that I can refer to?

I guess in the Dubber scene it would be: buying a used Mk4, keeping it for 5 years while being employed at McDonalds. THAT would be way more impressive.

·
Registered
32,543 Posts
82 years will never be topped, although I'll still :rolleyes: at a new Rolls as a graduation gift.
That's not trolling -- that's my opinion.

Although I didn't technically "own" my family's '65 Bug, I was its guardian for 17 years.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts

Did you occupy wall street as well? Mr. 98%

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
2003 Mk4 GTI, 9 years with 65k on the clock.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.