VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Replacing the clutch cable!

You guys are the bomb!

Had to replace my manual clutch cable, y'all said through the instrument cluster was the way to go, and damned if you weren't right!

Unhooked the cable from the transaxle, pulled out the instrument cluster, pushed down the clutch pedal, and there it was! Made a hook from coat hanger wire, hooked the cable, and it popped right out. It pivots up to the right point and snapped out of the pedal, easy as can be.

Now, the fun part, putting the new one in. I cheated, I took off the sleeve on the end of the cable, lined it up with the pocket in the clutch pedal, held the pedal down and used a flat-bladed screwdriver to pop the cable end into the pedal. Given that the clutch arm keeps a constant tension on the cable, I'm not worried about the cable and pedal parting ways.

Beats the **** out of the instructions in the Bentley manual, made this a REAL easy job, to say the least!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bump, since people still need to do this work. And since the original photos are gone here is one that will help.

This is a view from the top (gauge cluster removed) view. This photo was taken after the plastic bastard cover that separates the pedals from the wires, has been moved to the right. Before the plastic shield is moved, you can only see the cable barrel end through an oval shaped hole between two black shields when the pedal is at the floor. A flashlight is absolutely required. You will read in this thread some people talk about moving the plastic shield to the left - they are lying on their back looking up from the floor board. When going in through the cluster/top, it moves to the right.

As stated you have to move the plastic cover/shield out of the way to do this. It would be impossible otherwise.

As stated you have to remove the two wires that run along the top of the plastic shield from their oval-ring holder. Its a PITA because it has one of those inner fingers that you have to move the wires around before moving them out of the ring and its just conveniently far enough into the cavity that its very hard to reach. I don't know how people with large hands could do this DIY. But once the wires out of the ring, you can give the plastic bastard cover a tug to the right and it will move free.

Once you have the view that this photo shows, you can use the coat hanger trick to pull up on the cable with your right hand. With you left hand reach down and move the pedal back and forth... the barrel cable end will eventually pop up and out after a moment. You shouldn't have to pry it out.

When putting the new cable back into the pedal, its actually easier to line up the barrel cable stop with the pedal at the floor, and then again with your left hand, lift the pedal off the floor... this gives you that 90 degree angle of the pedal on the cable for it to click into place. Folks who said on here that they were hammering it in with a punch were basically breaking the plastic pedal slot shape into accepting the cable end without the 90 degree angle.

Hope that helps folks. Once you "get it" it really is quite easy... But it takes an hour to "get"

81 - 82 of 82 Posts