VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find this in the search but here I go.
Doing some searches for various P-cars - 997, 996 carreras and 981 and can definitely see a large gap in value slanting toward manual transmission cars. Seems like those owners got the last laugh. When purchased new, the auto boxes were costlier add-on options. 10-15 years later, the stick still reigns. I can see at least $2k difference in value.

What other cars are like this?

·
Registered
44,071 Posts
I'd say that not too many are like this. P cars that aren't SUVs and Miatas? Sure. FRS/BRZ would probably skew manual as well. Camaro/Mustang? It's probably close to a wash, leaning slightly towards manual. With GTIs it could go either way, but the FiST and FoST would also skew manual being more desirable and therefore more expensive, too.

Is that it? Maybe. :/

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Basically every enthusiast (i.e. sporty) vehicle produced in the past 40+ years where both transmissions were an option. Dual clutch transmissions have reduced the impact to a degree, but even then, manuals will hold their values better over time.

M3, 5-series, CTS-V, every single JDM sport compact and coupe, every Vette pre-C8, and the list goes on and on.

The manual + N/A engine combo is a recipe for strong resale values, and it's something I strongly consider when buying a weekend toy.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
I'd say that not too many are like this. P cars that aren't SUVs and Miatas? Sure. FRS/BRZ would probably skew manual as well. Camaro/Mustang? It's probably close to a wash, leaning slightly towards manual. With GTIs it could go either way, but the FiST and FoST would also skew manual being more desirable and therefore more expensive, too.

Is that it? Maybe. :/
I'd say it's true of most high performance cars that were offered in manual. Doubly so from the late 90s and early 00s when most autos were not very good. Probably less true for pedestrian/economy cars. Likely a wash to cars with mainstream/enthusiast crossover appeal (like the pony cars).

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,607 Posts
E46 values are a perfect example.

I think it's a great example overall, because at the time the automatics really neutered the cars with lower power. Manuals at least made them engaging. Newer cars? Eh. The transmissions are good enough now that it's a wash.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
E46 values are a perfect example.

I think it's a great example overall, because at the time the automatics really neutered the cars with lower power. Manuals at least made them engaging. Newer cars? Eh. The transmissions are good enough now that it's a wash.
What about examples like the 911R when the GT3 was PDK only? It was a good automated transmission, but nearly identical car with a manual was more valuable.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
isn't this the case with virtually every "sports" or "enthusiast" car: Supras, Corvettes, EVOs, E36, E46, E93, 1M, M2, Miata, FRS/BRZ, R34, R8, TT-RS, all Porsches, Jeeps, etc. etc. etc.

edit: fixed. :thumbup:

·
17,607 Posts
What about examples like the 911R when the GT3 was PDK only? It was a good automated transmission, but nearly identical car with a manual was more valuable.
Oh I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all anymore. I just think that the newer the car, the more mainstream the buyer, and today's buyers don't seem to care as much. Likely due to how good the DCT transmissions are.

Obviously boutique brands like Porsche and others are going to continue offering manuals because they sell low numbers to begin with, and they cater to enthusiasts. But the market has spoken, the new Shelby GT500 is a perfect example. I'm sure someone would have paid for a manual, but nobody is complaining at the lack of one.

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
isn't this the case with virtually every "sports" or "enthusiast" car: Supras, Corvettes, EVOs, STIs, E36, E46, E93, 1M, M2, Miata, FRS/BRZ, CTR, R34, R8, TT-RS, all Porsches, Jeeps, etc. etc. etc.
Some of those were never offered in auto (STI, CTR).

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
isn't this the case with virtually every "sports" or "enthusiast" car: Supras, Corvettes, EVOs, STIs, E36, E46, E93, 1M, M2, Miata, FRS/BRZ, CTR, R34, R8, TT-RS, all Porsches, Jeeps, etc. etc. etc.
Which of these were more expensive with an auto but are now worth more because they're a stick?

·
17,607 Posts
Which of these were more expensive with an auto but are now worth more because they're a stick?
I'm not up to speed on the others, but I know that manual E46 M3's are far more valuable than the SMG cars.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Not necessarily. "Enthusiast owned" cars, meaning clean, well-maintained cars with desirable options that weren't abused or run into the ground always command a premium. Cars like this often have a manual transmission because the people that care enough to preserve them may tend to prefer a manual, but I wouldn't say their value has any inherent relationship to the transmission.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
I'm not up to speed on the others, but I know that manual E46 M3's are far more valuable than the SMG cars.
This is why auctioneers like BaT will write in "XXX with 6-speed manual" in the title, if the car came in both auto and manual. It's the more rare, sought after version that commands a premium.

As I stated above, DCT's are sort of a wash (with a few exceptions) for cars that are like 1-5 years old, but my guess is that we'll see the same thing happen to those cars down the road as people will seek manual cars because they are less common and also simpler to maintain/replace. The PO replaced the DSG on our TT the year before he sold it, and it was a $7.5k job at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
The manual + N/A engine combo is a recipe for strong resale values, and it's something I strongly consider when buying a weekend toy.
Hell, with resales as strong as they are, and potential WFH shifts and implications, I'm considering one as a "daily". We are fast approaching the day when that combo will be in finite supply.

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Add manual Pontiac G8 GXPs and Chevy SSs to the list. Although the GXP was a $700 cost add. The SS was a zero dollar option.

Either way, they now command a healthy premium over automatics.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not necessarily. "Enthusiast owned" cars, meaning clean, well-maintained cars with desirable options that weren't abused or run into the ground always command a premium. Cars like this often have a manual transmission because the people that care enough to preserve them may tend to prefer a manual, but I wouldn't say their value has any inherent relationship to the transmission.
I don't think that is necessarily true. I was looking at C4/C5 corvettes a while back. Many of the C4 corvettes that were mint condition were automatics; driven by older people who wanted a weekend cruiser. The manuals still had more demand/value even in less than ideal cosmetic conditions.

·
17,607 Posts
I remember when my ex gf was getting her E46 M3 and the salesman tried saying that the SMG would have a better resale value :laugh::screwy:
Makes sense, right? It's the more expensive car, so it has to be worth more later!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The price gap is even more drastic with super cars. For example, I have seen Manual, V10 R8’s and Gallardo’s go for up to $20k more than their auto counterparts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
The price gap is even more drastic with super cars. For example, I have seen Manual, V10 R8’s and Gallardo’s go for up to $20k more than their auto counterparts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is for two reasons:

1) Those are the last of the supercars that came in manual (other than from boutique manufacturers like Pagani that will make you whatever you want).
2) The early to mid 00s dual clutch transmissions were quite problematic. Keeping them in working order is often an expensive headache, and they are annoying to live with even if they are in working order.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts