VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am looking at running a DSG in a 1.8T Corrado.

It will be running the later DBW loom and ECU, hoping for around 360bhp.

So far I have looked through your findings and believe I need the gearbox, databus and then link the wiring together.

I would like to run paddle shifter but I do not want to run all the steering electronics etc. May try and work out a better way of doing this, alternatively just extend the gear shifter and use my left hand :D

I find the paddles hard to use in tight turns anyway.

My next issue is gearing, I am worried the DSG boxes will be too high geared for racing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

One thing you certainly need more is a DSG stick. The stick has a build in controller which tells the box (via CAN) to change between neutral, drive, reverse etc. With the stick you can also do manual changes. So far I did not get the paddles to work, but I am still working on it.

Reverse light and speedo are two other things that are not working in my car.

I do not have a problem with gearing. I used a box from a MK5 Golf GTI, which has about the right gearing for my application (800 Kg RWD sportscar) I do have a lot less power however. The DSG is specified to handle max 350 Nm, some folk put a lot more to it and it survives. Increasing the pros sure on the clutch helps preventing clutch slip.

Bye,

Bertram

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
You actually do not need the shifter paddles at all. You can just run off the gear selector ...makes it alot simpler.:thumbup:
and is a cool way to do it IMO. i often drive days using only the sequential control stick and never the paddles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am looking at running a DSG in a 1.8T Corrado.

It will be running the later DBW loom and ECU, hoping for around 360bhp.

So far I have looked through your findings and believe I need the gearbox, databus and then link the wiring together.

I would like to run paddle shifter but I do not want to run all the steering electronics etc. May try and work out a better way of doing this, alternatively just extend the gear shifter and use my left hand :D

I find the paddles hard to use in tight turns anyway.

My next issue is gearing, I am worried the DSG boxes will be too high geared for racing.
The gearing of the DSG should not be the problem in your corrado because the tires you use are a lot smaller than those of the newer cars.
A friend has TFSI and DSG in a golf mark 2 and driving 120 km/h the engine is doing 3200/min.
He used the paddle shifters of a touareg and fitted them on the steering house.
Friends in Germany made the software for shifting, cruise control, revs, etc.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

One thing you certainly need more is a DSG stick. The stick has a build in controller which tells the box (via CAN) to change between neutral, drive, reverse etc. With the stick you can also do manual changes. So far I did not get the paddles to work, but I am still working on it.

Reverse light and speedo are two other things that are not working in my car.

I do not have a problem with gearing. I used a box from a MK5 Golf GTI, which has about the right gearing for my application (800 Kg RWD sportscar) I do have a lot less power however. The DSG is specified to handle max 350 Nm, some folk put a lot more to it and it survives. Increasing the pros sure on the clutch helps preventing clutch slip.

If you are searching for someone who might be able to put other software in your mechatronic you can contact JD engineering in the Netherlands.
He changed the software of my friens DSG in his golf mark 2. The clutch can handle now 450 Nm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In China over 4000 DSG has issue

In China. totel we have total 4000 consumers DSG issue. around 200 changed the gearbox.unfortunatly, we are only 4 years or 150,000 km guarantee period. we will complaint DSG with your guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
DSG to DSG swap

On a similar note, does anyone know if you need to code a different DSG box into a car is you swap it? I have a gearbox from a 170TDI which is higher geared which I am going to swap into my 104TDI, just wondering if it will need coding/ or even work? Physically it is looking the same

·
Registered
389 Posts
In China. totel we have total 4000 consumers DSG issue. around 200 changed the gearbox.unfortunatly, we are only 4 years or 150,000 km guarantee period. we will complaint DSG with your guys.
How many DSG cars are there in China?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Another one here looking to make the swap :)
I have passat '08 2.0TFSI with tiptronic and APR stg3 on it.

Have anyone finished the swap?What about the mounts,the flywheel and the driveshafts?are the same??

Thanks
George

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thinking myself of doing it and yes my car came from factory with the dsg option, so what are the parts needed ?
- DSG gearbox
- gear selector
- double pedals kit without clutch
- engine starter
- wire loom from gearbox to can bus
- axles ?

How do you remove/delete the hydraulic clutch circuit ? (will check into etka/elsawin later)

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone know here got one of these on the road yet? I have one bolted into a corrado, working on axles and a flywheel. I hear the tiguans have the same crank bolt pattern as the old 4 cyl blocks, anyone confirm?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thinking myself of doing it and yes my car came from factory with the dsg option, so what are the parts needed ?
- DSG gearbox
- gear selector
- double pedals kit without clutch
- engine starter
- wire loom from gearbox to can bus
- axles ?

How do you remove/delete the hydraulic clutch circuit ? (will check into etka/elsawin later)

Thanks.
Yes dsg box with harness
Shifter with harness
Starter
Axles
Flywheel early mk5 GTI,gli, eos Tiguan has 6 bolt flywheel
For older cars

21 - 34 of 34 Posts