VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Piecing together all the parts I need for the swap, just wondering if it's necessary to use the under dash harness for the rear window switches. I plan on putting it in eventually, just wondering if it'll work w/o it for now at least.
And what relay is needed for the pw setup?

Modified by tuned2.0 at 10:18 AM 6-26-2005

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Manual to Power Window swap ? (stage3 16v)

I already have 3 of the 4 regulators/motors. Trying to decide if this swap is gonna happen or if I'll be sticking w/ the manual. You know if the under dash harness is needed?

·
Registered
The mk3.75
20,050 Posts
Re: Manual to Power Window swap ? (tuned2.0)

you'll need the factory power window wiring harness to make it all work. Your car is not pre-wired for power windows. The sub-harness and dash switch for the rear windows are NOT required for the rear doors' window switches to work.
Good luck...figuring out where all the plugs on the window harness go is a headache and a half. When I moved over to mk4 stuff, I quickly understood why they redesigned it all as one interior harness with intertwined systems.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Manual to Power Window swap ? (punkassjim)

Is the factory power window harness a separate harness in addition to the standard harness or would I have to pretty much remove the entire interior harness and replace it w/ a interior harness that was designed for power windows?
Sounds like a day of downtime if it's the later.

·
Registered
The mk3.75
20,050 Posts
Re: Manual to Power Window swap ? (tuned2.0)

I pulled my power window harness from a '95 GTI VR6 back in the day, and it was a seperate harness. I also got the power mirror harness, which was seperate too. The early mk3 is a very modular vehicle. I'm told the later mk3's have all the harnesses taped together.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Manual to Power Window swap ? (punkassjim)

Oh, ok. So it might not be THAT bad. Just have to find a power window harness now I suppose. You know where that runs to/from ( I know someone parting one out now so I might be able to grab it)? And do you know where the underdash harness runs too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.