VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i posted before about me putting in a trans i think is for an 8v trans, with a 16v clutch.. now what is the big diffrence, is the made wider on the 8v one to meet up with the shorter output shaft on the 8v trans? Just trying to make sure i have a 8v trans on the car before i go and spend cash on a new clutch put it in, and it doesnt work again, i am only aloud to work on my car in my job once a month so this is my next shot at this, then i have to wait another month to do something.. If you can help me identify the diffrence between the 8v trans and the 16v, the major diffrence i can see right off the bat is the Reverse switch, the one i took out of the car which i belive is the 16v trans is a square reverse switch, and the one i put in which i belive is the 8v trans, has a round reverse switch.. Is that enough to tell the diffrence between the two?? thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: Manual Trans (Canth523)

What is the code on the transmission you have now? And what is the code on the one you are putting in?
The code is located in the yellow box in this pic:

(I hope Broke doesn't mind me borrowing his pic.)
Here's a picture of what a code might look like:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Manual Trans (Racer_X)

trans code on the trans i took Out of the car waz AGB.. That is the trans for the 16v trans, i dont have access to the car at the moment to see which one i put in there, but does the 8v trans have a round reverse switch??? Cause i know thats whats in my car, the trans has a round reverse switch...

Thanks for helping..

·
Registered
7,181 Posts

ok, here is the lowdown:
the 16v and 8v are basically identical with one major exception - the input shaft. the input shaft on the 16v is slightly larger (meaning it has a few more splines on the shaft - three to be exact). This makes it slightly larger in diameter. With this change come some limitations when choosing gearing (inside the transaxle) and clutch options.

clutch options:
16v transaxle used on either an 8v or a 16v...
you must use a 16v disc. either pressure plate will work. 16v disc is recommended. BTW: 16v 2L pressure plate clamps more than the 16v 1.8L one and costs marginally more making it a better value.
8v transaxle on either an 8v or a 16v...
you must use a 8v disc. either pressure plate will work. 16v disc is recommended. BTW: 16v 2L pressure plate clamps more than the 16v 1.8L one and costs marginally more making it a better value.
Backup light switch...
Two different styles were used, large plug and small plug. These can be modified and both came on both 16v and 8v transaxles.
Drive shaft flanges (also known as CV joint flanges...
Two different styles were used, large 100mm and smaller 90mm. These can be swapped easily and both came on both 16v and 8v transaxles (IIRC)
If you have any specific questions - ask away - cause i had to learn this stuff the hard way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Manual Trans (rockin16v)

if i put the 8v trans with the smaller input shaft, with the 16v disc, would that cause the trans to make a whinning sound when i put down on the clutch pedal?? And not move the wheels when i have it in a gear, would that be that the shaft is so much smaller it's not gripping the disc? and it's just makeing a whinning sound cause it's just touching??? that is my theory, and i wanna try and throw the 8v disc in cause i think it will catch the input shaft correctly... am i on the right track in getting to my solution?? Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

Yes, using a 8V transmission with the 16V clutch doesn't work. Splines barely touch at all, and it won't turn properly. You can actually damage the input shaft or the clutch disc splines doing that because they do touch a little. Usually, it's the clutch disc splines that get messed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.