VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one with this problem?
I have 08 GTI with M/T, and its been great for past few weeks,
but now shifting from 1-2, 2-3, 3-2 is stiff, and I would have to pull on the gear stick hard to shift.
Its buttery when stationary or off, but when its running, or accelerating, it gets stiff.
Help?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Manual Transmission 2nd gear problem? (Elwood)

Try varying your clutch pressure a little bit. If it won't go in maybe come off the clutch like 10-15% and see if it will slide in. I have the same thing happen to me with reverse and first sometimes and that usually lets it go into gear.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Re: Manual Transmission 2nd gear problem? (cardoza)

I dont have a GTI but my second gear feels the same way some times. I think the second gear syncros are weak. Feels like someone is holding you back for a second before you get to put it in second, ha ha no pun intended... or like its sort of jamming in between before it gets to second. I'm going to switch to syncromesh and i hope and am pretty positive it will go away or be reduced. If you dont got a short shifter that will help out. At least for me it did, either that or its the bushings that improved it.
Switched between a couple diff tranny fluids in my old car and syncromesh made the shifts feel like a butter knife slicing through a soft piece of butter.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4703768

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
02Q is the smoothest shifting gearbox I have ever owned.

While clutch is a very real possibility,
might want to check / rule out shift mechanism adjustment first.
Mis adjustment could be a possible cause for your problem description.
I'm at 110k miles, original clutch, and it still shifts as well as the day it was delivered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.