VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone who got a manual transmission is adjusting to the ergo of the seat adjustments and steering wheel for clutch and pedal usage?

I'm 5'10/145 lbs and I have the seat at the lowest height adjustment with the highest steering wheel adjustment and I kind of brush my right knee against the bottom of the steering column and feel like I'm straddling the steering wheel sometimes if I'm wearing a suit. All of the gauges are visible with nothing obstructed in line of sight. I can't move the seat back anymore or I'd be "toeing" the clutch with no bend in my knee and I kind of wish the steering wheel could go up prob .5 inch higher. I'm curious to know what shorter and taller people are finding themselves in terms of the seat positioning and ergonomics and if anyone's right knee also rubs against the bottom of the column? :confused:

I'm in the 4 door if that makes any difference also...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm 6' 203 and with my leg completely extended the clutch is at full depression. I prefer to somewhat toe the clutch so maybe that's just me but I have the steering wheel dang near all the way down and out and I have plenty of room in my 2 door

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if it's because of the GTI or just back problems, but the upper part of my right leg gets kinda numb and sore if I'm not in the perfect seating position. I'm 5'10 or so and do not like toeing the clutch, so I sit reasonably close, and yeah I basically straddle the steering column. It's alright though, I've adjusted it so that at least my knee won't rub on it if I'm braking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
im 5'8 and i have the same issues. I posted about this a while back. my right knee is kind of blocked by the center console. it's like the center console wants me to sit more to the left but the bucket seat wont let me. anyway..i got used to it..kind of..

I guess it was designed with taller people in mind, who can put the seat back and still reach the pedals without having their knee on the center console.

·
Banned
53,535 Posts
im 5'8 and i have the same issues. I posted about this a while back. my right knee is kind of blocked by the center console. it's like the center console wants me to sit more to the left but the bucket seat wont let me. anyway..i got used to it..kind of..

I guess it was designed with taller people in mind, who can put the seat back and still reach the pedals without having their knee on the center console.
The OP is talking about knees hitting the SW not the center tunnel. BTW, what is the problem with your knee/leg resting on the center tunnel side?

·
Registered
118 Posts
6'2" and 150lbs (34" inseam). I haven't run into any issues with my knee rubbing on the center console or straddling the steering column. I sit just far enough back that my knee has a slight bend when the clutch is fully depressed, and my seat is probably 20 or 25 degrees reclined beyond the "full upright" position (much to my GF's dismay). I could steer with my knees if needed, but I try to avoid that if possible.

However, I do see the issue that a lot of people have with the center console flaring out toward the knee. Aesthetically. it looks great, but from a functional standpoint it seems like an oversight. If my legs were beefier and a little shorter, I would certainly have a comfort issue.

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
6'2" and 150lbs (34" inseam). I haven't run into any issues with my knee rubbing on the center console or straddling the steering column. I sit just far enough back that my knee has a slight bend when the clutch is fully depressed, and my seat is probably 20 or 25 degrees reclined beyond the "full upright" position (much to my GF's dismay). I could steer with my knees if needed, but I try to avoid that if possible.

However, I do see the issue that a lot of people have with the center console flaring out toward the knee. Aesthetically. it looks great, but from a functional standpoint it seems like an oversight. If my legs were beefier and a little shorter, I would certainly have a comfort issue.
:eek: Jeezus Mr. Skeletor!! eat something! :laugh:

At your height and 190 lbs I also had no issues when I test drove a 4 door Mk7.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm 5'10" and have the seat raised up (and 1" spacers under the front of the seat) and the steering wheel about in the middle and have no issues. In fact I like it the way it is.

Mike

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI
814 Posts
I'm 6' and have everything setup perfectly. Steering wheel is about midway, seat is raised to where my head has about 3 inches of clearance from the roof and I can still put the clutch pedal to the floor. I really like my setup; typically I have to fidget and re-position while I'm in my Jetta but in the GTI I don't need to adjust at all.

With your back fully against the seat, typically you want to aim for having the distance of the length of your arm (from fingertip to elbow) from your torso to steering wheel while remaining comfortable. That is really the basis of my setup and it works extremely well.

·
Banned
53,535 Posts
.....However, I do see the issue that a lot of people have with the center console flaring out toward the knee. Aesthetically. it looks great, but from a functional standpoint it seems like an oversight. If my legs were beefier and a little shorter, I would certainly have a comfort issue.
Why would a person's knee or leg resting on the side of the console be an "issue" ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I watched the video to reassure my thought process in the set up- thanks for that. Yeah, "straddling" the steering wheel is a bit of an exaggeration and I did adjust the the seat a few clicks back which seemed to aid but my right leg/knee seems to still be somewhat graze and juggle between the bottom of the steering rack and the center console when going from throttle to brake. It's not terrible and it's not even consistent but I'm sure I'm also getting back used to a manual seating position after driving automatic and getting lazy for years.

I personally like a nice firm plant on the clutch as opposed to toeing it but I might adjust to toeing it if that's what a lot of others are doing because then I could def move the seat back even more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I watched the video to reassure my thought process in the set up- thanks for that. Yeah, "straddling" the steering wheel is a bit of an exaggeration and I did adjust the the seat a few clicks back which seemed to aid but my right leg/knee seems to still be somewhat graze and juggle between the bottom of the steering rack and the center console when going from throttle to brake. It's not terrible and it's not even consistent but I'm sure I'm also getting back used to a manual seating position after driving automatic and getting lazy for years.

I personally like a nice firm plant on the clutch as opposed to toeing it but I might adjust to toeing it if that's what a lot of others are doing because then I could def move the seat back even more.
I found a $10 clutch stop to help me with a similar issue. There's A LOT of dead space at the end of the clutch travel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm the same size as you and have no issue brushing the steering wheel. I have the seat at the lowest position as well. I actually have the steering wheel around mid height, if not kinda low. Maybe the wheel is too close to you?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'm the same size as you and have no issue brushing the steering wheel. I have the seat at the lowest position as well. I actually have the steering wheel around mid height, if not kinda low. Maybe the wheel is too close to you?
my 2cents:

6'3" and 190lbs here. Seat all the way to the floor (this is regardless of the height, always GO LOW as long as you can see over the wheel), reclined as little as possible, steering wheel all the way back in nearly the top-most position. Fairly close to the pedals (seat forward) so my legs are spread apart. This gets me down in the car and close to the wheel where I want it. Proper position should be wrists on top of wheel leaving your arms a little slack so you can turn the wheel 200+ degrees without moving or letting go with both hands.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've been sitting in the position the video describes for about 9 years now. It was drilled into me whenever I did driving schools and for me, it's the most comfortable, no matter what I'm driving.
The most difficult aspect of this position is being able to get your wrist over the top of the steering wheel while your shoulder blade still rests on the seat. This is a very important aspect of the seating position. As a racer (I have my SCCA and BMWCCA comp license) you waste time if your initial reaction is to move forward and then turn. This isn't really possible with 5 or 6 point harnesses as you're locked in to position, but in a street car, you can and it does waste time.

I'm 6'0" and 175lbs. I have the seat as low as possible and moved forward quite a bit. I don't like hunting for the pedals at all. I'll move my seat up closer in order to have my wrist over the top of the steering wheel as described above. I usually have the steering wheel telescoped out as far as possible to help with this. This also helps with my leg movement for heel-toe shifting and not hitting the steering wheel either when lifting up. I don't feel the steering wheel is too close or low. I'm actually pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
118 Posts

:eek: Jeezus Mr. Skeletor!! eat something! :laugh:

At your height and 190 lbs I also had no issues when I test drove a 4 door Mk7.
Surprisingly, I eat a ton but have a very difficult time gaining weight. Super fast metabolism I guess. Back when I was going to the gym regularly it was frustrating how much I had to eat to not be at a calorie deficit and prevent weight loss.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.