VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no knowledge to contribute to this, but I thought this could be interesting (maybe not) post a manufacturer and post the BEST engine they've ever made in your opinion and the WORST engine they've ever made in your opinion. Can be any manufacturer from any time period. Best and Worst engine they made.

:beer:

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Best:
VW ABA 4cyl
GM LS series V8
GM LBZ Duramax diesel
Toyota 2UZ V8

Worst:
Ford 6.0 Powerstroke :D
The French Italian (yuck) eco-diesel crap in FCA trucks and SUVs

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best:
VW ABA 4cyl
GM LS series V8
GM LBZ Duramax diesel
Toyota 2UZ V8

Worst:
Ford 6.0 Powerstroke :D
The French eco-diesel crap in FCA trucks and SUVs
Sorry, was thinking format more like this:

Audi's
Best Engine:
Worst Engine:

Ford's
Best Engine:
Worst Engine:

VW's
Best Engine:
Worst Engine:

GM's
Best Engine:
Worst Engine:

Porsche's
Best Engine:
Worst Engine:

Etc....etc.

Not just listing various good engines and bad engines. :beer:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
BMW

Best: S54
Worst: N54

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
what's wrong with the d17? Haven't really heard or seen any major issues apart from them not being very powerful or tuneable
They are pretty fuel efficient, but otherwise ugh. Overheating, headgaskets, and other cooling issues like being a pain in the ass to bleed to disappearing coolant or coolant pushing to the overflow.

You can get around 150k miles on one before it starts having issues which I mean you really can't complain about if you are like my family and purchased them new back in 02 and 04 and still have continued service out of them, but that makes them a crapshoot on the used car market. From my experience is it will chug along an additional 50k to 70k miles with the cooling issues, but you have to hawk for it and constantly check it. Not something the average person is willing to do.

But as a whole package, 7th gen civics suck.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts
VW's best engine is arguable, but their worst is the 1959 "oddball" or "bastard" engine. It was used for about 6 months in Buses. It had some things in common with the 36 horse and some in common with the 40 horse, but it also had lots of unique 'features' as well. The most notorious is that the thrust bearing was #2 instead of #1, so you would have to completely dismantle it to set end play. This is bad enough if you're building an engine, but if you're merely working on one and it's out of spec you're either living with it or pulling it apart completely. :mad:

It was their least reliable of the time, too. VW replaced them under warranty with the far more modern and reliable 40 horse. They'd break crankshafts, which was very rare in the 36 horse.

The only redeeming quality is that the cam was a bit more peaky, so the Formula Vee guys would pay top dollar for that "B" cam in it. Other than that they should be thrown over the hill.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
They are pretty fuel efficient, but otherwise ugh. Overheating, headgaskets, and other cooling issues like being a pain in the ass to bleed to disappearing coolant or coolant pushing to the overflow.

You can get around 150k miles on one before it starts having issues which I mean you really can't complain about if you are like my family and purchased them new back in 02 and 04 and still have continued service out of them, but that makes them a crapshoot on the used car market. From my experience is it will chug along an additional 50k to 70k miles with the cooling issues, but you have to hawk for it and constantly check it. Not something the average person is willing to do.

But as a whole package, 7th gen civics suck.
F yes. My wife had an '02 Civic in college that started giving us problems around the ~10 year old mark - and guess how many miles :laugh:

Started by intermittently losing heat, which meant we'd been losing coolant. I checked it several times for external leaks. Had it checked out a few times as well, nothing found either. No tell tale signs of head gasket distress. Finally after exhausting all options, we just went for a head gasket replacement, and found a TINY split. Small enough to lose enough coolant over time, but kind of annoying when you buy a vehicle for its mechanical reputation.

The rest of the vehicle wore pretty poorly too. Headliner and door fabric delaminating, lots of hard plastic, just generally cheap-feeling. Things that you would expect in a more bargain-priced vehicle, not a Honda. It did give 11 years/175k miles, so it wasn't a total pile. Just pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
Gold-level Member
19,351 Posts
Honda
Best: K-series 4-cylinder
Worst: Carbureted A-series 4-cylinder (3rd-gen Accord)

Do you like vacuum hoses?!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Subaru
Best: EZ36. The last of the 6-cylinder Subies :(
Worst: EJ25D -> at least the turbo EJ255/257's had the decency to provide some fun before they self-destructed. The EJ25D was the DOHC N/A 2.5L in the late-90s that powered the mundane Outback and 2.5GT Legacies - and at one time, they required Premium. Talk about not worth it...

BMW
Best: It's too close to decide between the S54 and S65, for me. The S54 is the pinnacle of classic ///M engineering, but the S65 (rod bearing issues and being strapped to the E90 chassis aside) is such an event to drive, from its cold start routine to ripping to its 8400 RPM redline.
Worst: A toss up between the N62 and N63. The N62 for badly getting the fundamentals wrong, and the N63 for just throwing too much you-know-what in a 5-pound bag.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Subaru
Best: EZ36. The last of the 6-cylinder Subies :(
Worst: EJ25D -> at least the turbo EJ255/257's had the decency to provide some fun before they self-destructed. The EJ25D was the DOHC N/A 2.5L in the late-90s that powered the mundane Outback and 2.5GT Legacies - and at one time, they required Premium. Talk about not worth it...
The EZ36 was pretty gutless in Outback form, and they never really put it in anything all that fun.

I don't think you can talk about best Subaru engines without talking about the EJ22G. Closed deck, forged internals, 7,800rpm redline. Nothing Subaru has brought to the U.S. is in the same league.

·
Registered
519 Posts
GM:
Best = The Mighty LS (pick your flavor. My personal fav would be a supercharged LT5).
Worst = Probably the Vega 2.3? The Iron Duke wouldn't be far behind though.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts