VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maodys Golf VII .:R on the 'Nordschleife'

As told in my introdution thread I will post onboards from Nordschleife here regularly. In the MK VI zone I opened a similar thread two years ago to show onboards out of the VI .:R. So I thought there might be Ring enthusiasts here in the MK VII zone as well and it might be not too wrong to show some stuff here. Perhaps it is interesting for one or two users here besides me. ;)

First visit to NoS in my brand new VII .:R (got it Tuesday, 1st of April), still in completely stock condition. Enjoy :)

A little tricky situation @ 4:50 (hidden crash and stock brakes), after this the GT-R appears.

There is more to come soon.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
that was awesome...thanks for sharing, and nice driving! i really wish we could switch places for a day. haha.

i'm surprised that gt-r let you pass, though.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As you liked the first one, here is the second one, even a bit faster, nothing coming into my way in this lap:

:thumbup:

Outstanding!

I guess your R is broken in now.
Thanks! :)

Not broken but he was a little battered. ;) To be able to do this often in future I will modify some things. Wheel/tyre combination first, BBK then (both next week). Coilover Kit follows later...

that was awesome...thanks for sharing, and nice driving! i really wish we could switch places for a day. haha.

i'm surprised that gt-r let you pass, though.
Thank you, you're welcome. :thumbup:
This is a question of experience. Well experienced NoS-Drivers are able to pass cars with far more HP if their drivers are less experienced. Perhaps skills may play a roll a bit too. ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
As told in my introdution thread I will post onboards from Nordschleife here regularly. In the MK VI zone I opened a similar thread two years ago to show onboards out of the VI .:R. So I thought there might be Ring enthusiasts here in the MK VII zone as well and it might be not too wrong to show some stuff here. Perhaps it is interesting for one or two users here besides me. ;)

First visit to NoS in my brand new VII .:R (got it Tuesday, 1st of April), still in completely stock condition. Enjoy :)

A little tricky situation @ 4:50 (hidden crash and stock brakes), after this the GT-R appears.

There is more to come soon.

Cheers
Markus
Marcus

This is pure awesomeness. VW should employ you for increasing the "drool factor" for this car in North America.
Can't wait for the Canadian version of this car....even if we don't have a Nordschleife here!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Also fantastic!
Thank you.

All we need now is a split screen so that we can see the driver at the controls and also see the track :p
Like it if you like it. :)

Moment, Sir, I just try to get used to HLT since I made more than 100 vids only using one GoPro. MultiCam is still too high for me ;)

funny. that was my exact thinking while watching that vid

JEALOUS!!
Thanks, mate! :)

Marcus

This is pure awesomeness. VW should employ you for increasing the "drool factor" for this car in North America.
Can't wait for the Canadian version of this car....even if we don't have a Nordschleife here!!
Don't make me blush, man. ;)

You don't have Nordschleife, but you've got Road Atlanta. I would like to drive there once.

Sooo jealous!
Which wheels/tires are you putting on? What is it on now?
Thanks to you as well! :)

Now I have the OEM 7,5 x 18 ET51 Cadiz with 225/40/18 Conti SportContact 5. And next week a set of 8 x 18 ET45 OZ Ultraleggera with 235/40/18 Conti ForceContact (Semis) will be mounted. ;)
And an 8-pot 356 mm BBK will be mounted instead of the OEM front brakes. Both I already had on the MK VI .:R before.

·
Registered
333 Posts
set of 8 x 18 ET45 OZ Ultraleggera with 235/40/18 Conti ForceContact (Semis)
That's exactly the setup I am planning to get in a year! My only consideration is Michelin PSS or Pilot Cup in 235/40/18. Since I plan mostly city/highway driving I think I'll settle to PSS or similar. Have you considered 245/35?
Please keep posting!!! Makes me drool, I can't wait I can order one here!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks for posting. I am curious as to why everyone is getting the cadiz wheels since they are so widely hated. Why not go for the pretoria? It sounds like you already had a nice set of wheels to put on the car, so it probably made more sense to save the money.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That's exactly the setup I am planning to get in a year! My only consideration is Michelin PSS or Pilot Cup in 235/40/18. Since I plan mostly city/highway driving I think I'll settle to PSS or similar. Have you considered 245/35?
Please keep posting!!! Makes me drool, I can't wait I can order one here!
I'm sure the PSS is the better choice if you plan to drive more all days (regularly here the same). If I have the ForceContact down I'm thinking of a set of Hankook RS-3 in 235/40/18, they should be similar to the PSS. But PSS is a possible choice as well. These ForceContact were a rebated offer for participants of a two days trackday end of this month (I joined). And I couldn't help but buy them. ;)

245/40/18 may be possible but after big problems with 235/40/18 on my VI .:R (after deepening by a KW coilover kit) I wanted to try 235/40 first and then have a look what space is in the wheel houses. Especially if you go from a 7,5' wheel to a 8' wheel and from ET51 to ET45 you reduce the space by this alone in a big amount.

Thank you and keep the photos/videos coming! They will always be appreciated here.
Thanks, good to hear. It's more fun to me if it's fun to you. :)

Thanks for posting. I am curious as to why everyone is getting the cadiz wheels since they are so widely hated. Why not go for the pretoria? It sounds like you already had a nice set of wheels to put on the car, so it probably made more sense to save the money.
You're welcome. :) And concerning the (uggly) Cadiz you are quite right. The plan was from the beginning to degrate them to pure winter wheels and only drive them from November to March. For the summer (and thus for track) I had the OZs already. Saving money. ;)

P.S.: There are more videos in my channel (Sig.) that are not linked here but interesting as well. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great videos, thank you for sharing them! Can you comment more on the balance of the car and how it drove on the track? Thanks! Cannot wait for this car to get here in the U.S.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Great videos, thank you for sharing them! Can you comment more on the balance of the car and how it drove on the track? Thanks! Cannot wait for this car to get here in the U.S.
Hard to say in English if you are no native speaker. Got to try my best. The rear is more 'loose' than the rear of the VI .:R so that you have a more sporty driving feeling. With the OEM chassis the car moves more around both, vertical and longitudinal axis. This was better in the VI .:R with DCC I had, OEM I can't compare sadly. The chasis could be a bit firmer. The rear moves from left to right whilst hard braking. Cause in the 'race'-modus the ESP gives more room to move. So it's funnier but you got to get used to it. The steering is very directly, more 'pointed' as we say in German. A bit like go-karting. Whole car feels lighter and sportier as the VI .:R.

Hope that helped... ;)

I don't even need to watch the vid to know this is the #1 thread in this forum

:)
And again someone wants to make me blush. :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Hard to say in English if you are no native speaker. Got to try my best. The rear is more 'loose' than the rear of the VI .:R so that you have a more sporty driving feeling. With the OEM chassis the car moves more around both, vertical and longitudinal axis. This was better in the VI .:R with DCC I had, OEM I can't compare sadly. The chasis could be a bit firmer. The rear moves from left to right whilst hard braking. Cause in the 'race'-modus the ESP gives more room to move. So it's funnier but you got to get used to it. The steering is very directly, more 'pointed' as we say in German. A bit like go-karting. Whole car feels lighter and sportier as the VI .:R.

Hope that helped... ;)

Great review. Yeah, the car definitely looks very pointy in the braking zones, I can really see the wiggle. It reminds me of how my Z3M feels compared to my old E36 M3; easier to tell what all of the tires are doing at any point in time. Can't wait till they finally make it to the US.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ah, to watch an .:R frolicking in its native habitat.

Nice footage. Fun. I'm following along and even though I know what curves and rises or descents are coming I still want to have the experience of really driving it. Gran Turismo 6 is very accurate... it's just not real.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Hope that helped... ;)

I think you said this in English quite well, thank you for the comments!

1 - 20 of 374 Posts