VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to search this as many ways possible with no reward. My fuel tank indicate is clearly damaged; it only registers on about 1/4 of the range. Does anyone have a led on repair parts or replacement parts? I found a new gauge on the MK1 Autohaus site but they are out of stock.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I realize I missed an important piece of information I have a 81 Caddy. Does your Mark 1 use a swing float or a lift float? If it is a swing float (little ball on a rod) what is the part number if that's not too much trouble?
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I bought from Heritage is for my truck. This is what you need... Fuel Gauge Sender Unit
THANK YOU in extremely large letters. Parts chasing has consumed most of my time during this swap. I'm putting a 2.0 Liter ABA in my Caddy. I'm doing my best to do it right, do it once since this will be my wife's truck.
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
81 caddy will be harder than a rabbit
but you can measure the ohms resistance of the sender from the tank
~33 ohms = full
~270 ohms = empty
if its over 270 ohms it will always read empty

read your manual to measure these wires at the fusebox under the dash if you cant drop the tank to remove the sender

no you cant replace the sender, they are NLA. you can clean them carefully to restore the resistance

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
81 caddy will be harder than a rabbit
but you can measure the ohms resistance of the sender from the tank
~33 ohms = full
~270 ohms = empty
if its over 270 ohms it will always read empty

read your manual to measure these wires at the fusebox under the dash if you cant drop the tank to remove the sender

no you cant replace the sender, they are NLA. you can clean them carefully to restore the resistance
Many Thanks. I have my fuel tank o the ground for cleanout. It was filled with rust and gunk. The sender is DOA. I get resistance for 1/4 scale then it goes away. I can see wires from the resistor like hairs on the board.
Just ordered a repro. Price was great but shipping hurts.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
There are no truck repops made. Only for the car. Those repops even look bad in the pics. :)
Luckily the actual VW part for the truck and car are still available.

Is it old stock? I assumed since these were unavailable for so long and are still unavailable in the US, that these were being reproduced. Even if it is stamped with VW part numbers, it may be what I would call a reproduction if it is being produced using the original vw tooling, but being made currently in Latvia?

I am still using my original. It works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it old stock? I assumed since these were unavailable for so long and are still unavailable in the US, that these were being reproduced. Even if it is stamped with VW part numbers, it may be what I would call a reproduction if it is being produced using the original vw tooling, but being made currently in Latvia?

I am still using my original. It works.
I ordered the Heritage Parts Centre gauge. Not sure where the source is, going on information from Deathhare. Looks like the one I pulled out of the tank. I'll update when I receive the part. I would love to repair the original if parts can be found. The resistor board (wiper) is clearly bad on my sender.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered the Heritage Parts Centre gauge. Not sure where the source is, going on information from Deathhare. Looks like the one I pulled out of the tank. I'll update when I receive the part. I would love to repair the original if parts can be found. The resistor board (wiper) is clearly bad on my sender.
Just looked at the part online again. It states that it is Genuine VW. Given parts miss-mash I have seen I just want something that works.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I have always believed the Euro built VW's used different electronics because of the USA suppliers. Does anyone know for certain that these Euro sensors would work for the USA built trucks? I'm certain with a little butchery, they could but does anyone know if it is a for certain a plug and play thing?

I ask because my fuel level sensor if faulty. I also believe the sending unit wire shorted out, which burnt up my fuel gauge. I do have a sensor to put in, but I must remove the tank and I would love to know if this is going to be a few hour job or a few day job.

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
I have always believed the Euro built VW's used different electronics because of the USA suppliers. Does anyone know for certain that these Euro sensors would work for the USA built trucks? I'm certain with a little butchery, they could but does anyone know if it is a for certain a plug and play thing?

I ask because my fuel level sensor if faulty. I also believe the sending unit wire shorted out, which burnt up my fuel gauge. I do have a sensor to put in, but I must remove the tank and I would love to know if this is going to be a few hour job or a few day job.
Its plug and play. Same part # for US or Euro cars.

If its a truck removing the tank is much easier than a regular rabbit. It can be a messy job because you're gonna spill fuel if you arent very careful.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts