VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I plan on running a clear- sight line for the fuel level in view of the driver.

Just add some tape lines at full and empty.

I am told water tender and fire trucks also have a backup similar device for checking fuel level.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
When working on a 40+ year old car, I never expect it a simple task. So, you hope for a couple hours, but plan for days.

I do have a new level sensor and I figured if is did not fit, I have enough skills to encourage it to work.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
I got one for my Caddy a few months ago. VW Classic part from Latvia, as Heritage didn't have them listed at all at that time. I haven't installed it yet, but I did plug it in and test it, and it works perfectly with the US wiring and gauge.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The only thing holding that tank up are the two tank strap nuts. Drops directly down.

I’m in NJ and the nuts came off effortlessly. Start hosing it dow with penetrating fluid if it makes you feel better.

-Todd

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
VW Classic part from Latvia,
That's been my experience with Heritage. Latvian 'reproductions' sold as original VW parts, not that that necessarily means low quality. In this case, I'm sure that the quality is more than adequate. I'm glad that something that works is available.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Well, it may have come from Latvia, but the bag and labeling all said "VW Classic" and the sender itself is stamped "VDO" and "Made in Germany".
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Hood Cap Automotive exterior Automotive design Hat

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Latvian shops will tell you if the parts are OE or aftermarket. Unsure why, but it seems stuff which is NLA here isn’t NLA there or in EU.

I ordered B4 door handles gaskets… they had 100% identical markings, as what came off my car. NLA here for close to a decade.

-Todd

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
EU for sure has parts still.
agreed, ive also ordered from Latvia, Hungary, and Greece of all places.
trouble is finding websites, translating, an figuring out if they will ship to USA

it is also sometimes possible to get your local VW dealer to import something but it could take 3-6 months because of their shipment schedules

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
~$100 isnt unreasonable for these kinds of things. especially since they are 20-30 year old parts (mk1 caddy were produced in EU up to 1992)

there have been attempts in the past to get things from S. Africa but enough parts changed during the citi-golf era that many things are not compatible anymore
where its possible the chassis is 95% identical, everything else under the hood etc could have been redesigned and upgraded with newer later model parts
and many were, such as the dashboard and engines were refitted with newer styles.
including the fact it was a LHD, opposite driver side and road to USA.

then there is the DIY: 3d printing your own plastic parts, restoration repairs, or modding something to replace the original.

for $100 you could have had the rheostat rewired on your original, example.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
This was in my mailbox… totally forgot that I ordered it. Wrapped in tissue paper, stretch wrap, bagged and wrapped in cardboard. Arrived in perfect shape and tested from 35-190 ohms. Need to verify range, but I’m sure it’s fine.

Font Wood Auto part Plastic Gas

With all the proper logos and stampings, it looks pretty legitimate to me.

-Todd

21 - 39 of 39 Posts