VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planing to change the cylinder head Gasket on my car this weekend, Can someone quickly tell me what some people mean by marking the pulley, belt .... etc so that the timing isn't disturbed?
I know that if the belt is removed and the pulley or the cam sprocket is rotated that will affect the timing .... so what shall I do? mark the timing at TDC in the pulley together with a mark on the cam sprocket like that before putting the belts the pulley and the cam sproket are as they were before the work was done?

thanks all

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Re: marking the timing before removing the Cam Belt ! (Rico21)

put the motor on Top Dead Center on the compression cycle for first cylinder.
There is a mark on the inside of the cam sprocket(side facing the driver side of the car) that looks like | which needs to be lined up with where the cylinder head meets the block on the front of the engine. There is also the TDC ° mark on the flywheel...its a small circle not the | mark (which is 6° BTDC) which needs to be lined up. Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointed at #1.
There are other marks on pullies but I didn't use those last time I did this.
To turn the motor over to get it on TDC put the front of the car up on jack stands and take the wheels off and turn the motor over with a 19mm socket on the crank...turn it clockwise. Have a friend look for the timing mark on the flywheel through the hole in the tranmission.
Hope this helps....A Bentley or a Haynes manual is probally a good reference for all the timing marks to align.

Modified by nickinboston at 5:16 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,240 Posts

My method:
Ignore the marks on the pullies. Jump the starter (I use a remote starter switch I bought from sears for $12) to turn the crank to TDC, then use a 19mm wrench to align the cam sprocket. put the distributor rotor to the notch in the housing, and install and tension the cam belt. Turn the engine 2 revs and recheck alignment between the crank and the cam, and the adjust the distributor housing if necessary. It should be good to go, it's that simple. I learned that method from a veteran dealer technician.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to adjust anything for now, all I want is a simple way to keep the timing as it is now after the work is done, isn't there a simpler way like making the pulley or sprocket or both ?

·
Registered
171 Posts

Use whiteout and mark each pulley and corresponding tooth on the old belt before removing. 3 altogether, on cam, crank, and intermediate shaft. Then remove the old belt and transfer the marks to the new belt either by counting teeth or just laying one on top of the other. Then install new belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: marking the timing before removing the Cam Belt ! (Srom04)

Cheers thanks Srom04 thats seems like a much easier way of doing it...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rico21 »
Cheers thanks Srom04 thats seems like a much easier way of doing it...

I would just reset the timing per the instructions in the bentley, it takes all of 5 minutes to line up the pulleys. This way you know your timing will be dead on. Taking the easy route can cause you problems. Also don't forget to replace the timing belt tensioner while you are down there.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: marking the timing before removing the Cam Belt ! (brandon002)

I tried marking the pulleys and it STILL got all ^&%$'d up. Spend 2 hours fiddling with the timing etc and just took it all apart and used the factory marks.
It takes all of 5 min to do and it will be RIGHT.... learned my lesson.... follow the Bentley...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts