VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY EVERYONE,

I cooked the front rotors (not even that badly to be honest), and i need new rotors asap bc i believe the recalled rotors are WARPED. :mad::mad::mad: The car (especially steering wheel, but not the pedal) judders under hard braking, and feel like DOG SHI... So i've been researching all the choices we have (which is not many), and i came across the LOBA (nothing new) and the RACING BRAKES option. I noticed that on the site, LOBA lists the Front Rotor Upgrade at 362mm (which comes w brackets, which makes no sense to me since the rotor is smaller), which is less than the stock (370mm). Also, this front rotor upgrade is supposed to mate to their 8piston BBK. Is this correct? Even with the bracket and all, the rotor is 362mm - SHOULDN'T IT BE LARGER?!?! :screwy: Can anyone (perhaps TRICHARDS, bc i think he has these) confirm?

http://www.loba-motorsport.com/shop...quattro/36/loba-ttrs-brake-disc-upgrade?c=49#

And then, there is the RACINGBRAKES Option (which is cheaper, and MADE ON HOME SOIL?). i refuse to use OEM rotors from this point forward. They are overpriced, and not worth the cost. Anyone have any thoughts or recos on which rotors i should go with? I want to get these on ASAP so i can get back on the track.

Finally, anyone think i should get a fresh sets of brake pads w the new rotors? I am currently running PFC 08 w plenty of meat left. I really appreciate anyone's thoughts and knowledge in advance. :thumbup::thumbup:

-RG

PS - i have 034 (RS6) Rear BBK, and am trying to cook up a plan for that as well. I'll update asap w developments. ;)

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
I ran a set of RacingBrake rotors (with ST47 pads), and I got horrible pad deposits with them after one track event (despite careful bed-in procedures) that resulted in something similar to what you're describing: horrible vibration under hard braking. I tried scrubbing the deposits off, but they were on there too hard to get them completely clean by hand so much of the vibration remained. I need to get them cut on a lathe before I can try running them again...

I swapped back to the OEM rotors with ST47 pads at the last event, and had no problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

MARTY,

Thanks for the insight... Are you the only person (that you know of) who has tried the RACINGBRAKES rotor and had a bad experience? Maybe that combo of ST47 and their rotor was a no-go. The ST47 is supposedly one of the more aggressive metallic pads, no? Based on what you explained, i fear the same outcome with the PFC08 (which i want to continue running, whether new or used pads). I am going to give them a call and see what they say.

On the other note... anyone have a clue about the LOBA 362mm FR rotors? i'm still scratching my head on that one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just had to replace both front rotors due to warpage... A pair of replacement rotors ran me about $475.00 as opposed to the Racing Brake solution which was close to $1200.00 for the pair. I did not put on stock pads. Instead I opt'd for the Racing Brake ET500. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome...

As a side note, the dealer replaced both front rotors, calipers & pads this past November due to a recall. I was never happy with the replacement from Audi as compared to what the car came with.

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
MARTY,

Thanks for the insight... Are you the only person (that you know of) who has tried the RACINGBRAKES rotor and had a bad experience? Maybe that combo of ST47 and their rotor was a no-go. The ST47 is supposedly one of the more aggressive metallic pads, no? Based on what you explained, i fear the same outcome with the PFC08 (which i want to continue running, whether new or used pads). I am going to give them a call and see what they say.

On the other note... anyone have a clue about the LOBA 362mm FR rotors? i'm still scratching my head on that one.
It's certainly possible that the ST47 + RacingBrake rotor metal combo is an unlucky one that causes problems. That's certainly evidenced by my lack of problems with the ST47 pads and stock rotors not having an issue.

I certainly wasn't happy with my RacingBrake rotors and this pad combo, but others may be.

I contacted RacingBrake, and they just told me to scrub off the deposits, re-bed them, and try again. I did that, but the deposits were just too hard and despite lots of elbow grease with stainless scrub wool, I could still feel slightly bumps in the discolored areas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got the recall done last August where Audi replaced the rotors and pads and was happy for a few months that my pads were no longer noisy. Then about December, I started feeling vibrations in my brake pedal that seemed like pad deposits. Please understand the car was not tracked or driven/braked very hard over this period and I still had these vibrations in the rotors. Since I eventually was going to take the car to the track, I bought some Carbotech track pads and decided to use them to "clean" the rotors of the deposits. It worked like a charm and everything was smooth again--at least for another 4 months. When I started having the same problems again, this time I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the rotors under warranty. No change in pads but new rotors in front. I'm still worried that the problem is the pads and not the rotors but time will tell. I'm not sure what the dealer will say if it happens again--especially if I go to the track between now and then. We'll see but I'm not impressed with this OEM combo right now.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I got the recall done last August where Audi replaced the rotors and pads and was happy for a few months that my pads were no longer noisy. Then about December, I started feeling vibrations in my brake pedal that seemed like pad deposits. Please understand the car was not tracked or driven/braked very hard over this period and I still had these vibrations in the rotors. Since I eventually was going to take the car to the track, I bought some Carbotech track pads and decided to use them to "clean" the rotors of the deposits. It worked like a charm and everything was smooth again--at least for another 4 months. When I started having the same problems again, this time I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the rotors under warranty. No change in pads but new rotors in front. I'm still worried that the problem is the pads and not the rotors but time will tell. I'm not sure what the dealer will say if it happens again--especially if I go to the track between now and then. We'll see but I'm not impressed with this OEM combo right now.
I've had exactly the same issue. Replaced rotors seemed to warp after just a few thousand miles and no tracking. The dealer said it is a known issue with the new TTRS brakes. Something he called fossiling, not actual warping but it feels the same. It's like the pad material binds at a chemical level or something with the metal alloy in the rotors when they are wet and basically imprints on the rotor. Crazy stuff in my book but apparently Audi is working on a new rotor material to cure this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had to replace both front rotors due to warpage... A pair of replacement rotors ran me about $475.00 as opposed to the Racing Brake solution which was close to $1200.00 for the pair. I did not put on stock pads. Instead I opt'd for the Racing Brake ET500. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome...

As a side note, the dealer replaced both front rotors, calipers & pads this past November due to a recall. I was never happy with the replacement from Audi as compared to what the car came with.

BULL30, well said! :thumbup::thumbup: other than the noise dissipation, i think the original squeeky brake combo had more bite. AND... since i'm gonna run an after market pad (PFC08) that makes noise anyways (well not as much after the miles i'v put on them), maybe i can ask the dealer to reinstall the OG OEM setup!?!? Sounds a bit backwards, but what do you guys think of this? I think this would be a better play bc i haven't heard as many people complaining about the pre-RECALL rotors w aftermarket pads (AND i felt that they stopped the car harder than the recall version). :confused:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Why are you worried about going to the track for voiding warranties? Is this not allowed? You bought a car with launch control, upgraded brakes, awd, magnetic ride....I mean **** where do you use this stuff?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've not heard anything good about the RacingBrake Rotors on the TT-RS. Have only heard good things about LOBA but ouch on the price. Someone else posted another option a while back, Tarot. These are priced about the same as the RacingBrake. No idea on performance. I did contact the company and was told replacement disks run about $876 depending on exchange rates.

http://www.tarox.us/audi-ttrs.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
For the price of the Racing Brake or the Tarox disks you can replace with the factory disks about 3 times... Not sure they are worth the money for what amounts no more than a minimal gain in performance...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another warped rotor feeling with TSB replaced front brakes here too. Have about 2.5K miles on the new non-squeaking brakes pads and rotors have have a pretty decent vibration when applying brakes at any speed. Definitely a defect of some sort.

The original brakes never did that. Hell, I would take the noise over the warpage feeling any day.

Seems odd that Audi can't get it right. I mean do the R8's have this issue? Don't they use the same brake rotors (obviously the non-ceramic ones I am talking about)

·
Registered
7,080 Posts
For the price of the Racing Brake or the Tarox disks you can replace with the factory disks about 3 times... Not sure they are worth the money for what amounts no more than a minimal gain in performance...
I tried the RacingBrake in hopes that the improved cooling vanes would keep brake temps down at the track, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. The stock rotors feel better with the ST47 pads than the RacingBrake ever did.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Another warped rotor feeling with TSB replaced front brakes here too. Have about 2.5K miles on the new non-squeaking brakes pads and rotors have have a pretty decent vibration when applying brakes at any speed. Definitely a defect of some sort.

The original brakes never did that. Hell, I would take the noise over the warpage feeling any day.

Seems odd that Audi can't get it right. I mean do the R8's have this issue? Don't they use the same brake rotors (obviously the non-ceramic ones I am talking about)
I agree with you…give me the noise over the "warping" any day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Audi did the brake recall on my RS when it was in getting the engine replaced... Never gave it much thought as I figured Audi knows what they are doing... I also never had and noise from my original set of rotors and brakes so I was a bit confused as to why they replaced... There was 7400 miles on the clock when Audi replaced the pads & rotors... I started noticing the vibration at 14,500 miles and replaced at 15k... I chose to use the RB ET500 brake pads... Let's see how long there rotors last...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My brakes warped after the tsb too. Happened at 1000 miles with no heavy usage and proper bedding. The dealer and AoA refused to replace. They said I was using the brakes too hard. (RollING eyes)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
MASSIVE WARPAGE on recalled TTRS FR BRAKES - must pull trigger on new FR roto...

My brakes warped after the tsb too. Happened at 1000 miles with no heavy usage and proper bedding. The dealer and AoA refused to replace. They said I was using the brakes too hard. (RollING eyes)
That's crap! They have a problem with this setup and know it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't think the problem is with the rotors. I think the problem is with the pads leaving irregular deposits on the rotors. I don't think you can warp the rotors with zero track time and light duty over a 6-month period. I agree with the point above that the old squeaky pads never caused this type of problem and that is the primary reason that I think it is the new "quiet" pads that are causing this pad deposit problem. I fully expect that I will see this problem come up again because they only replaced my rotors last April. If this happens again, they should look at a new formulation for these pads to see if it will resolve the problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
From what I have seen tracking the TTRS brake setup the weakness is the OEM pads leaving deposits on the rotors. I have subjected the OEM rotors to tons of abuse with a more aggressive pad and have never had an issue. The question is then are the pads making the deposits because of a bad material composition or is the alloy the rotors being made out of particularly susceptible to picking up pad deposits. Switch to a new pad and enjoy a better pedal feel and increased stopping power. There is no way you warped the rotors with easy street miles, however I can guess the issue most likely. The ONLY time I had trouble with the TTRS setup was when I left for vacation. I washed the car, picked it up in the garage, and left for a week. When I returned and tried to move the car the brake pads were stuck to the rotors so bad that some pad material came off once they broke free. I had horrible "warped" feeling rotors for about a week after. I could easily see on a daily driven car with regular rain and washes this happening commonly. It'll all be ok, enjoy the car and don't let the little things ruin the experience.

·
Registered
253 Posts
From what I have seen tracking the TTRS brake setup the weakness is the OEM pads leaving deposits on the rotors. I have subjected the OEM rotors to tons of abuse with a more aggressive pad and have never had an issue. The question is then are the pads making the deposits because of a bad material composition or is the alloy the rotors being made out of particularly susceptible to picking up pad deposits. Switch to a new pad and enjoy a better pedal feel and increased stopping power. There is no way you warped the rotors with easy street miles, however I can guess the issue most likely. The ONLY time I had trouble with the TTRS setup was when I left for vacation. I washed the car, picked it up in the garage, and left for a week. When I returned and tried to move the car the brake pads were stuck to the rotors so bad that some pad material came off once they broke free. I had horrible "warped" feeling rotors for about a week after. I could easily see on a daily driven car with regular rain and washes this happening commonly. It'll all be ok, enjoy the car and don't let the little things ruin the experience.
Bingo.

Audi is in a tough spot trying to appease the audience wanting a quiet pad that doesn't overheat. That is like asking for a mentally stable supermodel that cooks and cleans. If you manage to find mentally stable supermodel, do yourself a favor and get a maid/housecleaner instead... IE, take race pads to the track if you can't stand the noise.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts