VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Where did you buy the grey-stitched rear euro headrest from?
Also, is there anyway to purchase just the side cargo net? Not too keen on the big middle one.
Great build so far! I wish there was a way to get dynamic rear turn while keeping the night-time look of the rear bulbs from the north american R's.
Bought them through a group buy in Edmonton for local users. You can get them from e-Acca or Cars245, haven't looked at the part number though. Should be a thread on here somewhere with more details. The "big middle" net is the most effective and its VW OEM. Great for stuffing a pizza or groceries under so the eggs don't crack open all over the back. :cool: The side ones I got from Amazon. They're just velcro backed and can be placed anywhere its carpeted. Just search for Velcro car nets.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I bought them from e-acca.com. Part #5G0885901AFCMR for both. They’re the same part number. You need to order two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Was waiting for the CTS Turbro sale for the resonator delete and decided on an impulse buy. Found out that the Audi S3 pipe is a little cheaper than O34 (In Canada at least, from local buyers) - about $100 more than CTS - but hey I got the guys at Calgary Autoworks to install it right there on the spot so yeah, I'm an impulse buyer.

Here's some thoughts:
CTS looks decent enough, I have their turbo inlet pipe and happy with it but didn't want to wait. Some say the quality isn't great but come on, how often are you going to actually look at it.
To that point the 034 is a beautiful piece of work, nice welds, stainless, clean, etc. The Audi/VW S3/GTI/R piece, well it looks like the stock exhaust steel, welds, etc. and because I may some day do a catback, it wasn't really worth it to put a "nice looking" res delete pipe in between crappy metal stock piping if I may replace it later anyway. To me, this looks more "factory" so I went with the middle ground.

Sound wise, well this is subjective as most of you know so I'll offer my subjective opinion and since there are loads of threads on this topic I didn't do any sound compare video's etc.
First, I like it. I think its subtle and just what the engine needed. I can actually hear it over the soundaktor now and its a good combo. Does it drone, well....barely. I actually thought the R droned a bit anyway, just a touch, so this adds a bit more but not the kind of drone that you get from a full catback with a really crappy resonator. In a DSG you have 7 gears so find one that doesn't drone. At 140kph we're in 2500rpm and it doesn't drone so don't tell me you can't find a gear that doesn't drone. In the city you might be cruising along in 3rd or 4th and get a little drone, but this is not in any way a mind numbing drone, its ok. And rowing through the gears makes it all worth it.

If you're cheap, try the CTS or whoever has the best sale, this is a simple mod and completely reversible. I think it was well worth it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
.....and next up, on order are some iSweep 1500 brake pads.....I am so sick of European cars and their dusty brake pads.....this Golf is worse than my Audi was and I thought that was bad. Forced me to an early BBK upgrade to the RS brakes in that car so hoping these pads will provide a nice OEM replacement until I do a BBK later on.

IS.1500.SF1290

Was on the fence about going with the 2000 pads but in the end I felt it best to stick with a stock feel and make the jump later to Hawk HPS or iSweep 2000 on a Neuspeed BBK later.

By the way, for my fellow Canadians, best way to buy these is straight from the US distributor who I won't mention as I don't believe they are a sponsor here. I'm picking them up in Eureka Montana but if I did ship them to Canada it was cheaper than our usual local resellers....by a lot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Loving the brake pads - goodbye dust and breaking feel is great!

Just did a Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU and DSG tune. Awesome! Just Awesome! Next, looking at Rear Sway Bar and rear subframe mounts to tighten things up....then need to get rid of all the rattles....sheesh!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Next, looking at Rear Sway Bar and rear subframe mounts to tighten things up....then need to get rid of all the rattles....sheesh!
What subframe inserts are you going to go with? Also, do you have a random click from the front end when turning the wheel from center at a stop?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
What subframe inserts are you going to go with? Also, do you have a random click from the front end when turning the wheel from center at a stop?
Went with 034 since I can pick them up local and no issues importing from the US. No clicking issues as you describe.

·
Registered
420 Posts
very nice build my man,

love the badgeskins emblem overlay personally, I was thinking of doing the same with my car (front and back emblems though) to make the "R" stick aout a little! But I think my powdercoated bronze chrome mags might take care of that! we'll see!

love the cargo net too, it's not too in the way in terms of trunk space and good for puttiing loose stuff that would otherwise slide around - I may pick one up too.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Crazy, I have 98% of these mods already purchased and ready to install. I have three more weeks until my Indium R arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lol. I had my car all of 5 days and all the mods I had stocked up are on the car! Nothing beats a freshly modded new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Complete, and updating soon.....
  1. OEM like functioning Fog Lights
  2. Racingline R600 intake - with a little "special modification"
  3. Complete Detail and Ceramic Coating....just to show of the shine!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Complete, and updating soon.....
  1. OEM like functioning Fog Lights
  2. Racingline R600 intake - with a little "special modification"
  3. Complete Detail and Ceramic Coating....just to show of the shine!
Seriously sorry folks, I've added some projects and wanted to wait till it was all done to post but here are some other changes coming by month end:
  • P3 Cars Digital Multi Gauge
  • clubsport rotors, matching rear cross drilled and TTS front black calipers with Neuspeed isweep 2000 pads
  • Spacers - cause big brakes now

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, I know they can sometimes cut notches in the inner faces of brake rotors for balancing but look at the amount they took off of my new clubsport rotors.....should I return them? It looks really big compared to most I've seen that are slightly hidden on the inner edges, but man thats a big chunk of steel removed.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Teaser for the new rotors. The back rotor closely matches the clubsports but not perfect. I got them from a local Canadian company that I have never dealt with so not sure of their quality but they do seem to be milled well. PM me if interested in where I got them (can't vouch for quality or performance...yet).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Little update....tomorrow morning I'll be doing the brakes and will update with pics however, I'm holding off on the rear brake rotors since the ones you see here were total crap. Do not buy from crossdrilledrotors canada or DBC....very sad to have tried these from a local Canadian company. They do look close to what the front clubsports are but unfortunately the so called electrostatic powder coating is the worst I've ever seen. You can see in the pic, but its worse in person. It looks more like a 3 year old applied a rattle can of paint. Its splotchy, dirty looking (like they coated over top of dust) and thick in areas like it ran off and pooled. I've returned them (with a lot of grief and extremely poor customer service) and bought the ECS Tuning cross drilled (which I believe are stoptechs) and am going to have them powdercoated silver to match the fronts. More to come on the weekend.

Teaser for the new rotors. The back rotor closely matches the clubsports but not perfect. I got them from a local Canadian company that I have never dealt with so not sure of their quality but they do seem to be milled well. PM me if interested in where I got them (can't vouch for quality or performance...yet).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Finally an update. Sorry folks.

First up, Fogs. I was actually able to wire these up so they act just like OEM GTI fogs, with the euro switch and wiring to the BCM.

Can't see too well in the daytime in this pic but I used Morimoto Mini ModPods (3 in each cluster) on the low voltage setting rather than the high setting. On high these puppies get extremely hot and I didn't want to melt my bumper. They are bright enough at night to shine a little bit in the front of the car but by no means are they "good fogs." I find the headlights in this car adequate to not really need fogs but all the same, I like the look of them and they are not distracting to oncoming drivers. They are also yellow tinted for something a little different and I needed the added lense "thickness" to attach them through the bumper as I have them.

Just a little drilling and dremeling on the back side to smooth it out, lots of room in this location and very stealth.

Wired up the modpod's with a factory harness, soldered and sealed tight.

How I did it:
Lots of research on this one. At the end of the day I bought:
  • GTI fog light wiring harness from Amazon and purchased matching male plugs for the lights.
  • Euro GTI headlight switch with front and rear fog function
  • 6 Morimoto Mod Pod Mini's
  • misc wire wrap, and other items to tidy it up

I used some info on other forums that had how to's on adding fog lights to Mk7 golfs, everything from TDI's in europe to GTI's that didn't come with fogs in earlier days. I also found videos of guys removing the front bumper on the 7.5 as well as getting to and removing the BCM (a little tedious to get to). Then I ran the wiring kit through the firewall to the BCM (there are 2 wires for left and right lights that need to be pinned properly into two modules of the BCM) and the factory light harness had the proper fog wiring already there so no need to run a new wire from switch to BCM...score! Just plug in the euro switch and you're good. Then you ground the wiring kit and run the lines to the fog lights and wire them up how you like (I used actual connectors and you could buy any pair on amazon that mate up). I definitely recommend some soldering skills here as well as being able to properly shrink wrap the wires to keep it waterproof and tight. Lastly there is some minor coding that I was able to do on my OBD11 pro.

Not sure what rules are for adding links to docs but if you want a more complete how to, PM me.

Coded the fogs to run independently from High beams and actually I have them on when the car is on now at all times. They are on the low settings so they are not bright and act more like a position light than actual fogs...the headlights I find adequate enough to not need fogs so they are solely for looks in my case.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Next, Intake. Finally upgraded to the VWR600 with a little extra flair....can you spot it?

Those are factory stickers on the VWR intake grill....thought it would add to the stealth look and retain the quick info thats good to have handy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
And now the P3 guage...lots of install and info on this puppy and I did the Unitronic Stage 1+ this summer so not a bad 0-60 run.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts