VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out a '96 Jetta GL today with 123,000 miles. The car is very clean inside and out. Paint looks awesome (black), and the interior and engine bay are very clean. It has a moonroof. The car started right up, and I took it for a short test drive. It seems to run just fine, but I did notice the following things:
- The radio wouldn't come on. It's the stock "premium" radio.
- Fuel gauge was at "E". I didn't notice it until I got a few miles away. It could be out of gas, or it could be that the gauge doesn't work.
- Driving at around 35-40 mph, I could feel a slight vibration. I let go of the wheel and the car tracked straight, so I think the alignment is OK. Could this be a bad wheel bearing or unbalanced wheel.
- One headlight is not working.
- After I drove it, I opened the hood and sniffed around, didn't smell oil burning or anything.
I checked CarFax and it's totally clean. 2 owners (commercial lease). The used car dealer bought it at auction in Missouri.
He's asking $4,900 for it.
Should I go for it? Should I be worried about so many miles? Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Modified by GoingGolfing at 8:16 PM 6-28-2003

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: May buy '96 Jetta GL, need your opinions quick! (GoingGolfing)

after owning a 2.0 and a vr6 now....currently a 2.0...id keep the loot n get a vr6? however...its really up to personal preference....its all about what your in to? if you like it, go for it, price seems descent..? does it come with any warrenty?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: May buy '96 Jetta GL, need your opinions quick! (bret97GT)

if you do choose to buy it...offer him somethin lower, see if he goes for it, save yourself some loot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This will be a second car for me, I just want it to drive back and forth from work. I'd probably put about 15k miles per year on it, which is why I was asking about the mileage. I may decide to upgrade the suspension or something at some point.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bret97GT »
if you do choose to buy it...offer him somethin lower, see if he goes for it, save yourself some loot

I agree, use the extra cash to fix the little things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts