VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first post on here and it’s not a fun one to make. Last week I was attempting to install a Fluidampr crank pulley on my 2017 GTI and was having a hell of a time getting the crank bolt off while holding the counter hold tool steady on my original pulley. I managed to get the bolt off but I believe that I potentially rotated my crank a bit to much backwards accidentally and now when I go to rotate my engine to make sure everything is still going smoothly i hit resistance. I have all plugs removed already so I’m under the impression I’m touching valves now. If im out of time now Im under the impression at this point I need to refix my timing chain. The issue with that is that I can’t rotate my crank back to tdc clockwise. Would I be able to pull my cams without them being in tdc in order to close my valves to rotate my crank back to tdc and reinstall the cams to their tdc or would that cause issues with my head? I feel completely stupid that I managed to mess up a pulley installation this badly because I didn’t wait for help to make sure everything was staying correct. Any help or advice would be nice. Thanks!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm certainly no expert (having only installed a Fluidamper on my old A3). I'm just going to jump in here and say that my vote is for "Everything is fine". I'm interested in what others more knowledgable than I would say about this...

·
Registered
152 Posts
It really depends on how much it jumped back. These engines have a slight amount of back and forth play that can be had before valves start bending.

Honestly they sell a tool that holds the pulley so you can remove the bolt then install a roll that has little expanders that you use to hold the crank in place while you remove the pulley, and then you install the pulley using the holder tool, take out the crank bolt tool insert the actual bolt tighten it down, and then remove the pulley tool.

How do you know you were at TDC to begin with?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts