VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to start a car with no exhaust on it whatsoever (im talking no manifold or anything right out of the exhaust ports...)
Would having no backpressure at all prevent the car from starting somehow
and I know it will be insanely loud already, thanks...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: maybe a stupid question... (JNXtheband)

I think it depends on the car...
I fired my 1.8 8v up without a mani.. It was loud as hell, hard to start and hard to keep running. Not sure why I did it, I guess just to see what it was like.
So yeah, most cars will...

·
Registered
7,748 Posts

Possible? Yes. I wouldn't recommend it though because it can do damage on some engines

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: maybe a stupid question... (1987&2001Jettas)

quote:[HR][/HR]Possible? Yes. I wouldn't recommend it though because it can do damage on some engines[HR][/HR]​

please elaborate.
already decided against it, Id just like to know what could happen...

·
Registered
8,406 Posts

i put a straight 1" dia. 6" pipe coming out of the head of a 5hp Briggs and Stratton motor on my go-kart a long time ago. It shot flames, then it melted the exhaust valve after a while. I then decided never to try this on a car.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2021 Ford Bronco Sport, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,302 Posts
Re: maybe a stupid question... (VW-BMW)

yeah i'd think it would get very hot right there. not that iron manifolds are amazing at retaining the heat of the exhaust or anything, but they certainly help. i think you could do damage to the head by having that high of temps nearby. i think the aluminum will warp some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.