VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's the deal:

1) I bought a pre-modified Stage 2+, 2017 Audi S3 from a Subaru dealer in 2019.

2) Car is not TD1'ed because it was never brought back to the dealer. It still retains the original (crappy) version 1 2016 software for the MMI and stereo. Never updated.

3) Warranty ends October 15, 2020.

4) Last week the A/C started smelling like coolant and the coolant warning keeps going on.

5) A well known flaw in the EA888's is that the coolant thermostat fails and leaks coolant.

I have an appointment at the Audi dealer on October 14, 2020, one day before the warranty is over.

They will absolutely TD1 the car.

If in fact the block is cracked (unlikely), or something like that, I will pay the repair out of pocket as it is clearly, at least somewhat, related to the tune.

But if the coolant thermometer is broken (most likely secenario), which is a known flaw that is unrelated to the tune, I will push to have it warrantied despite the TD1.

I am not afraid to sue Audi in Federal Court over the M-M warranty act (in fact I am currently suing Audi on behalf of a co-worker for a different issue - a Lemon law issue -- in Nevada you have to sue to avail yourself of the lemon law).

This thread is a just a placeholder for what will likely become a **** show in the days to come.

:). :cool:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You're not obligated to provide content for this site.

.... Thank you regardless :laugh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know how it goes in the US, but here in Brazil, VW/Audi doesnt hook your car into ODIS (the tool that gets you TD1'd) for everything.
If you come in with a blown turbo, a faulty transmission or anything that might be tune related, maybe.
If you come in for simpler stuff like a faulty waterpump or thermostat, I doubt they'd even bat an eye.
I'd take it in and see what comes of it, my bet is that it'll be the thermostat and they'll take care of it no questions asked.

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably water pump those fail left and right.

Why not get it flashed to stock and and remove the mods. Seems like a lot less of a headache than fighting a corporate giant and going to court
Because I don't have any stock parts. I bought the car with aftermarket parts.

Also, I don't actually think that I will have to sue Audi.

I think they either:

1) aren't going to plug the car in at all and just fix it; or

2) will plug it in, TD1 me, and then I will get into a war of written threats with Audi and they will end up covering it.

But it would be kind of fun to be the first person on these forums, after decades of M-M jabber, to actually litigate something under the M-M Act.

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, to be clear, I am helping my co-worker sue Audi under the NV lemon law. In Nevada, there is no administrative agency that administers the lemon law -- you need to sue.

·
Registered
2015 STi & 2016 Golf R
39,715 Posts
in for the eventual ****-show.

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
Since the failure isn't related in any way to the mods, I can't see them having a problem fixing it. Despite your history, I think this will go better than you anticipate.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
While you definitely end up in some "unique" situations, you also openly share the drama and headaches for us to learn from which is always appreciated (and entertaining).

In to see where this goes. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If in fact the block is cracked (unlikely), or something like that, I will pay the repair out of pocket as it is clearly, at least somewhat, related to the tune.

But if the coolant thermometer is broken (most likely secenario), which is a known flaw that is unrelated to the tune, I will push to have it warrantied despite the TD1.
Sounds fair.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
VW dealers around my area are very quick to refuse work on modified cars (rightfully so IMO), however in your case this a very common issue so I am hoping they will be able to help you under warranty.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts