VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,036 Posts
In:popcorn:

To be covered under warranty, would a covered repair have to be completed by October 15 or just the diagnosis that a covered repair is needed?

How much does the repair cost if not covered by warranty? Can an indy shop do it or is it dealer-only for some reason?
In my anecdotal experience, so long as an issue is logged before the expiration, it is covered. Example: Mother's Jeep Grand Cherokee lease ran 3 months past the warranty (36 vs. 39 mos). Around months 29-32 she took it in for an issue (I cannot recall what it was), Jeep checked it and passed it off as working per design etc. Fast forward to month 38 and the issue rears its head again, except this time it really affects the car. They first called, explaining they figured it out, what the fix was, and that it will cost $x.xx b/c outside of warranty. We still had the records so we politely told them to look up X date for the same complaint. They confirmed and proceeded to repair as a warrantied item.

Also, for those of you giving Schnell a hard time, this is literally what the system is for. He's hoping for the best, but preparing for AoA to be a pain in the ass. Ever since Audi updated their policies regarding TD1 flags there have been many accounts of individuals going in for service and being denied warranty coverage because of a tune or other part that is wholly unrelated to the serviceable issue. This is a blatant contradiction to the M-M act and as such is illegal. The reality is that the enforcement of the act is taken on by the consumer, similar to lemon law cases. So, knowing that the anecdotal evidence gives good reason to expect Audi (unless he has a cool dealership and good relationship with them) to open this car up, see its a stage II APR car, immediately shut the hood, and call Schnell to pick it up or pay up. This isn't a I'm going to sue for millions, this is a suit of enforcing M-M on AoA to force them to abide by their own warranty during the period and use an unrelated modification as a cop out to avoid warranty work.

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Does the dealership get paid to do warranty work? If yes, then why even bother denying a claim like this? I don’t understand.
Because the TD1 "flag" is automatically applied on Audi's national dealer network when they plug your car in. Any time the computer detects that more flashes have occurred of the ECU than Audi's databases reflect, Audi's cloud servers mark the VIN as "TD1." When a dealer sees a TD1, it means that Audi will refuse to pay them for warranty work related to the engine. So it places a burden on the dealer to clear the repair through Audi before performing the work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Because the TD1 "flag" is automatically applied on Audi's national dealer network when they plug your car in. Any time the computer detects that more flashes have occurred of the ECU than Audi's databases reflect, Audi's cloud servers mark the VIN as "TD1." When a dealer sees a TD1, it means that Audi will refuse to pay them for warranty work related to the engine. So it places a burden on the dealer to clear the repair through Audi before performing the work.
Hope someone with a dealer isn't looking at this thread right now, but just a word of advice if you drop hints that you will sue,
you will immediately be told to contact the dealer lawyer or VWoA lawyer.:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I tell you of my first hand experience when I had my MK7 Golf R.

Car had roughly 12k miles on it and full stage 2 upgrades. Was running Cobb Accessport with protune ECU and TCU.

DSG transmission started to throw all types of crazy faults after a few months of being tuned. Eventually went into limp mode.

Reset all faults and flashed ECU back to stock map.

Brought car into dealer with all hard parts on the car still and stock ecu map.

Entire DSG gearbox replaced under warranty.
But that could totally be due to the excess stress placed on the gearbox by the tuning?

I'm amazed that there's an expectation that a company should cover someone when they have tuned their car by an (un)official source, and tuning varies wildly from good to poor, probably then driven the car far harder than the average user, not had it serviced by the officially designated service providers but then cry when their toys break and expect the original manufacturer to repair their car? Is this not the age of entitlement or what?

I thought it was big boy rules: you tune your car and then accept that it's all on you from that point onwards.

Of course we all know that users are being dishonest and returning their cars to standard before trying to claim. Now that manufacturers have cottoned on it seems like many posters are crying about the fact that they can no longer get away with their dishonesty.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,871 Posts
Bingo.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,035 Posts
How are you going to argue that your aftermarket tune and parts didn't add stress to the cooling system and cause a premature failure? I can't see how cranking power way past OEM levels doesn't increase heat output and affect this in some way, regardless of how failure prone the part is in stock levels of tune.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
How are you going to argue that your aftermarket tune and parts didn't add stress to the cooling system and cause a premature failure? I can't see how cranking power way past OEM levels doesn't increase heat output and affect this in some way, regardless of how failure prone the part is in stock levels of tune.
I agree. I guess I don’t get how this isn’t effected by the tune (which I am open to learning).

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I had a dream last night that I met a guy that had a way to hack/steal cars and I got myself a new S3. I'm pretty sure it was inspired by this thread :laugh:

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
UPDATE

So this started off nicely . . . and then 7 minutes later when I was getting in my Lyft, I got a phone call from the service advisor that informed me of two things:

1) The original owner purchased Audi Care, so they are giving me a free 30k mile service (cool, I guess?); and

2) The car was TD1'd back in 2017, so they will not perform work on the car other than the service.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The lady was nice. I was very nice, too, and I agreed to pay a diagnostic fee in the event that Audi won't cover it. I did mention that it was against federal law to just blanket refuse service, and she indicated that she was aware of this, but it was dealer policy.

So let's see where this goes.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,103 Posts
Is it bad I'm reading this as good news because it means more entertainment coming soon? :laugh:

·
Registered
15,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
On the upside, since they will be flashing the car back to stock for the 30k mile service, I just ordered Integrated Engineering Stage 2+ software for the engine and DSG.

I hate APR, but the car came with APR. Since APR discontinued their Stage 2 program, and since I am not the original purchaser, I can no longer use APR software.

I had been meaning to do this anyway, so this got me off my ass to get it done.

81 - 100 of 242 Posts