VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not car related, but Im looking at a job in Gaithersburg... I dont know the DC area at all, and wanted some suggestions on places to look for apartments. I dont want to live in the suburbs, and was wondering how the neighborhoods in northern DC are? Ideally looking for a neighborhood with young professional/college age types, coffee shops, variety of restaurants, pubs/taverns, walkable/safe, not to long of a commute, under $1,000/month one bedrooms. Neighborhood doesnt have to be super trendy or hyperactive, I just want things to do that are in walking distance. I have some friends in Alexandria but fear that would be a ridiculous commute. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (GDJetta)

DC is grossly $$$$$$$. The dumps in DC are selling for top dollar. There is an apartment complex in NE across from Trinity College, I think it is $1100.00 a mounth. A friend of mine lives there I will get the name, number, & rent cost for you. The speed bumps in the complex are crappy along with DC streets,
Logan Cirlce is nice; but, $$$$$.

·
Registered
19,697 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (NicNRG)

Three words. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! It really sucks in DC. Gaithersburg isn't a bad area if you are working up there. There are some nice places to live that aren't super expensive, but the closer you get to DC, the more expensive it gets. I pay almost $1300 a month for a 2 br/2ba apartment just out side of DC.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (askibum02)

Yeah mang...DC is gonna cost some serious duckets. Northwest is very hip and trendy but quite pricey and understandably so being that you're minutes from downtown. If you're gonna work in Gaithersburg, look at Germantown. You can get a decent place one or two br for about 1k or just below that. I would strongly recommend staying out of DC unless you worked there. Just a suggestion.
JR

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (JR Dubhead)

I guess the outlying areas are a better bet... cant see myself paying $1300 plus a month for a 1br... I would be living in an F'in palace in Syracuse for that kind of cash! I just thought living closer to the "action" would be fun, Im probably not up for the commute anyway... im used to a 15 minute ride in the 'Cuse. Whats up with Germantown? How about Rockville? Any college town/hippie-ish places north of DC?

·
Registered
8,385 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GDJetta »
I guess the outlying areas are a better bet... cant see myself paying $1300 plus a month for a 1br... I would be living in an F'in palace in Syracuse for that kind of cash! I just thought living closer to the "action" would be fun, Im probably not up for the commute anyway... im used to a 15 minute ride in the 'Cuse. Whats up with Germantown? How about Rockville? Any college town/hippie-ish places north of DC?

Syracuse is interesting ... just not on the same level as DC. DC is $$$$$$$$$$$. To keep the cost down commuting is a must. There are other means of getting into DC, like the metro is a good one. Then you can get a more manageable, affordable rent. However, things still are exspensive. A one bedroom by Dulles Airport in Reston, Va is still about 1050.00 a month. Gaithersburg is Reston/ Northern Va's twin, the cost are crazy. You just have to look around. Travel here and check out the area(s) to see what you like and how affordable it is for you prior to moving.

Modified by NicNRG at 12:23 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GDJetta »
Any college town/hippie-ish places north of DC?

NOT College Park.. shadiest/worst "college town" ever

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (DrivinAJetta)

yeah but there are some wicked parties there too. I did get attacked one time right after I got kicked out of the club. DOH!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (DrivinAJetta)

Quote, originally posted by DrivinAJetta »
NOT College Park.. shadiest/worst "college town" ever

Word. I loved CP while I was there, and yes parties can be sick but unless you're in school it's not worth living there. I would never have even considered buying my house there (I did look though)
Unfortunatelly all the hip-trendy places around here (DC metro area) usually mean duckets. Transportation-commuting is a must unless you have and/or are willing to dish out mad bills. Cities like Bethesda, Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park, Chevy Chase = $$$$$. I'd look into Germantown like I said, Gaithersburg and Northern Virginia. Get the Apartments section in the post (Saturday?) and leaf through it to get an idea for prices in the general area. Good luck bro.
P.S. - Once you get settled you should bring your dub to a MetroDubs gtg http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
JR
<Edit: Damir, did you go to MD?>

Modified by JR Dubhead at 6:51 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Yeah, DC can get pretty pricey if you don't know the neighborhoods or don't have time to look for good deals on apartments. There are a lot of town houses coverted into apartments in NW D.C., and there are always rooms for rent temporarily until you find what you're looking for. I've lived in D.C for 10 years so feel free to IM me if you have any questions.
Here's where I've always looked for places to live in DC, good luck!
http://www.washingtoncitypaper....html

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (Fishbone)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess if I land the job, Ill probably look for something in gaithersburg or germantown for the time being. Then assess where I really want to live once I learn the area better. Again, thanks for the help. I'll have to hit up a gtg after moving!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

Good luck! I live way out in the far western suburbs, but may be moving into DC this summer. There are bargains to be had if you look hard enough, and there's a lot more fun stuff to do inside the city http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (addicted2vw)

Quote, originally posted by addicted2vw »
Good luck! I live way out in the far western suburbs, but may be moving into DC this summer. There are bargains to be had if you look hard enough, and there's a lot more fun stuff to do inside the city http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Where are the bargins in DC? I really do not think he wants to live in projects in Southeast or any subsidised housing for that matter.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts

you'll get a better bargain buying then renting in this area check in the fredrick md area that wouldn't be a bad commute and rents not bad

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Re: Maybe moving to DC area... (taymk2)

I live in germantonw and i love it here, its starting to grow fast and it is close to everything. But you might also want to look in rockville if you want to be in more of a city envirnment.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NicNRG »
Where are the bargins in DC? I really do not think he wants to live in projects in Southeast or any subsidised housing for that matter.

I guess "bargain" is a relative term. Nothing outside the ghetto is going to be cheap by any means, but if you look hard enough, you can find an efficiency in a decent neighborhood in DC for not much more than what I'm paying for the big 2br apartment I have in Sleezeburg. The cost of rent is skyrocketing out here! And not having to drive 72 miles round-trip each day will help make up for the difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts