VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 Jetta 1.8T ... the only mod I currently have on is Samco hoses, though I had a Neuspeed chip before ... when I first got the chip a while ago, it worked great for about a month, then my car started feeling like it was massively losing power ... so I took it to VW, where they checked my coils (said those were okay) and flashed the ECU ... in stock setting, my car worked fine again ...
I went back to Neuspeed because I figured they probably ****ed up when they were installing the chip and had them redo it (since I already bought it ...) ...
Again, car worked GREAT for a while, then of course it started up again, so I again brought it to VW, where they flashed it and said it had to be faulty chip programming ...
So my car worked fine in stock mode for a day, but then it started AGAIN ****ing up the same way ... and now it works on and off, sometimes GREAT and sometimes absolutely ****ty ...
According to my boost gauge I'm not losing any actual boost, which I pretty much already figured out, but something is definitely wrong in the engine ... the lag time on the acceleration is much longer, the acceleration itself is unpredictable ...
I don't know what to do ... VW keeps claiming it's the chip, but I don't even have a chip now ... so ... ?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? They said that they checked the coils each time i went in, so it isn't that ... and it's hard to have somebody test drive the car and see what's wrong only because sometimes the car works great, and then they'll look at me like 'WTF, your car is fine..'
And btw, my check engine light doesn't come on ...

Modified by IIBora at 12:11 AM 7-12-2003

· Registered
554 Posts
Re: Maybe somebody here can set me straight ... (Mk418TDUB)

If you mean the famous checksum code, star of stage, screen, and Vortex polls, then it does switch on a CEL in the several instances I know about. Excuse me if you mean something else.
Error can't be erased for more than an hour and the issue is still at large relative to its origin, sloppy ECM or chip related, or both. A most unsatisfactory situation.

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Re: Maybe somebody here can set me straight ... (medium cool)

Quote, originally posted by medium cool »
If you mean the famous checksum code, star of stage, screen, and Vortex polls, then it does switch on a CEL in the several instances I know about. Excuse me if you mean something else.
Error can't be erased for more than an hour and the issue is still at large relative to its origin, sloppy ECM or chip related, or both. A most unsatisfactory situation.

Medium Cool is right. The instances known have given CELs. It is happening on different brands of chips and for unknown reasons. It however isn't happening to "everyone" like someone mentioned. I also doubt it is just the chip as others with the same ECU and chip aren't getting the code. Sounds like some hardware soldering issues that may have damaged the ECU in some way.

· Registered
3,930 Posts
Re: (1badtsi)

If your boost gauge is reading the correct boost then I would check all of the piping for leaks and pressure. Last year I was actually losing power from boost leaking through my brake booster. I found this my checking all of the boost tubes for pressure leaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.