VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
301 - 320 of 387 Posts

· Registered
6,265 Posts
The motor is in 4 cars that should have high margin and decent volume. That's probably enough.

Plus Mazda is ****ing weird; they just brought back a rotary engine for an electric range extender. There's always gonna be some element of their power trains that doesn't make sense. They probably seriously considered putting rotaries in these crossovers for all we know.
So far only the CX-60 and CX-90. Then again the CX-90 sells 30k a year so I’m guessing they’re expecting that sort of volume with the CX-90.

Also to note Mazda is a SUV company now. The only non SUV Mazda sells is the MX5/Miata and 3. And I’m surprised that the 3 isn’t a Skyactiv X/ Rotary hybrid by now.

4) Mazda would never plan their emissions averages around a car like that. An engine that big in a car that small during the Tier 3 era would generate serious emissions credit deficits. It would be a compliance planning nightmare.
I’m assuming that the I6 is using the HCCI technology that the 2.0 has ( Its not for sale in NA anyway). I can’t imagine it being terrible on fuel economy, especially if it’s a mild hybrid. Besides if they made it available in the Miata , it probably won’t sell in meaningful amounts to effect the emissions averages. As is, the MX5 sold 10k last year in the US

That said I’m not seeing it being in the MX5 just because of cost to add it as an upgrade, and the cost to tune it to be fitting of a sports car and not an CUV, unless they partnered with Toyota to make another Supra. But one can dream.

· Premium Member
6,000 Posts
Base B58 delivers about the same hp, exact same torque and it powers X5/X6/X7/5/6/7/8 so I am not sure how can Mazdas engine be bad then. Upgraded B58 found in M40i models has 40hp more but torque remains the same.
No, it doesn’t. A base B58 puts its rates power to the tires. Even on regular fuel a B58 will make more considerably power. I used to tune those 2.3L Mazdaspeed cars with the hitachi ripoff K04 turbo. Laggy, a little mid range and then puke and die up top until you threw some hard parts on it and flashed the garbage factory calibration out. There was a load island at 5200 rpm that jumped the timing 2-3 deg to get to the rated 280 hp if you had the available octane, otherwise it was a 250 hp motor unless you were over 5500 rpm where it was a 200 hp motor.

· Registered
99,780 Posts
The turbo 2.5 CX-9 was never a hot seller in US even when new at least partly due to the drivetrain imo. (if not mostly since a nice package otherwise)
They must want the new one to be impressive quick and smooth so they can sell more premium trims and less discounted base trims.
Selling a fraction of the numbers of other makes isn't important as long as you make way more profit per sale.

· Premium Member
13,904 Posts
Ford Exploder competes directly with the CX-9, has a North South powertrain, goes over $60k and def isn't as nice as this will be. $50-60k for something like this really isn't that crazy, even in FWD guise... It's just a lot of stuff even if it's all cheap and nasty.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
13,904 Posts
Any chance this new longitudinal engine platform will spawn a rear drive coupe or sedan?
Mazda 60?
Mazda was gonna build a RWD 6 but came to their senses. Just buy a BMW M340i

· Registered
99,780 Posts
These are coming over the next 2 years. Surprised they developed inline 6 turbos with the push towards EV.
I am sure Mazda is chasing profitability while trying to stay relevant.
I'm not sure anybody but Tesla has made a significant profit on EVs to date (once all related costs are included).
One thing I do find curious is the sheer number of hybrid drivetrains they are bringing out.
The CX-60 released in Europe with the 2.5 and electric motor plug in hybrid.
Now we have the inline 6 engines coming out AND the MX-30 REV with built in single rotor Wankle engine range extender.
I guess that's where Mazda has been spending their cash and hoping they pay off in sales.

· Premium Member
13,904 Posts
if Mazda can make an M340i, I'd rather go with the Japanese
I would too, but from Mazda's POV it's about what they can sell, not what they can make. Sedan sales across the boards are cratering, so they wouldn't gain much jumping into a losing market.

Even this RWD (will these be available in RWD only?) SUV push is dubious. Most of the stuff in these things' classes are FWD and sell fine. The CX-9's biggest problem was packaging... seems like Mazda thought, "lets change the platforms to justify the bad packaging" vs "lets just fix the bad packaging"

We'll see how it all shakes out... I'm legit curious about the CX-90 PHEV, but only because it's a 3 row PHEV with balls and hopefully decent space, not because it's RWD. The whole thing is so bizarre in a way only Mazda can do.... they never offered the 6 with AWD but they're making RWD crossovers..... headscratching ****.

· Registered
99,780 Posts
Even this RWD (will these be available in RWD only?) SUV push is dubious. Most of the stuff in these things' classes are FWD and sell fine. The CX-9's biggest problem was packaging... seems like Mazda thought, "lets change the platforms to justify the bad packaging" vs "lets just fix the bad packaging".
What about the packaging is the issue?
And.. the line is so blurred now between tall sedans and wagons and crossovers, it's possible Mazda could make some type of four door "freestyle rear door" performance thing that's close to a car analogy on this new platform.
Some buyers absolutely love BMW crossover "coupes" because of the styling.
So there is always a potential market for horribly compromised crossovers to get a sexier derriere.
Lol.

· Registered
6,265 Posts
I would too, but from Mazda's POV it's about what they can sell, not what they can make. Sedan sales across the boards are cratering, so they wouldn't gain much jumping into a losing market.

Even this RWD (will these be available in RWD only?) SUV push is dubious. Most of the stuff in these things' classes are FWD and sell fine. The CX-9's biggest problem was packaging... seems like Mazda thought, "lets change the platforms to justify the bad packaging" vs "lets just fix the bad packaging"

We'll see how it all shakes out... I'm legit curious about the CX-90 PHEV, but only because it's a 3 row PHEV with balls and hopefully decent space, not because it's RWD. The whole thing is so bizarre in a way only Mazda can do.... they never offered the 6 with AWD but they're making RWD crossovers..... headscratching ****.
I’m guessing the I6 was developed alongside the Skyactiv X HCCI 2.0 that they have been testing for a while. They probably dumped a lot of money in both the I6 and the 2.0, but they won’t sell the 2.0 in the US ( Maybe that’s the motor powering the PHEV.)

· Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
9,261 Posts

well I've ridden in a CX9, 6 people (2 of them kids with kid seats) and it was honestly pretty spacious. Maybe not Tahoe spacious, but I really didn't see an issue with packaging (if that's what you meant). Actually, my wife and I are weighing the Highlander and CX9 (and now also maybe the CX90) out to see what makes the most sense. Granted the Highlander is a touch bigger, but not much. The CX9 is much nicer inside.

true that RWD isn't something that most 3-row shoppers factor, but a car guy, it's definitely a big selling point for me.

· Registered
2019 Mazda 3
4,309 Posts
I’m guessing the I6 was developed alongside the Skyactiv X HCCI 2.0 that they have been testing for a while. They probably dumped a lot of money in both the I6 and the 2.0, but they won’t sell the 2.0 in the US ( Maybe that’s the motor powering the PHEV.)
From what I've heard and my best guess, the i6 3.3 turbo and i4 2.5 plug-in aren't going to be the Skyactiv-X tech. It's been getting lukewarm reviews in Europe and it sounds complicated to achieve a smooth transition to HCCI combustion even with premium fuel. On our 87 that we love in North America, I don't know if they figured it out yet.

I may be wrong, but I'm fairly confident on this one.

· Premium Member
13,904 Posts
What about the packaging is the issue?
And.. the line is so blurred now between tall sedans and wagons and crossovers, it's possible Mazda could make some type of four door "freestyle rear door" performance thing that's close to a car analogy on this new platform.
Some buyers absolutely love BMW crossover "coupes" because of the styling.
So there is always a potential market for horribly compromised crossovers to get a sexier derriere.
Lol.
Mazdas in general are cramped in their segments and the CX-9 is no exception. Truthfully, IMO Mazda could have made the CX-70/CX-90 by just right sizing and restyling off the existing platform (i.e. a CX-70 should prob be a 2 row CX-9; CX-90 should be a legit 6-7 seater), with a PHEV for the top powertrain.

Skyactiv-X was another waste of money IMO. They should have just made a conventional hybrid (since Skyactiv-X has to be a mild hybrid to work anyway)

· Premium Member
13,904 Posts
well I've ridden in a CX9, 6 people (2 of them kids with kid seats) and it was honestly pretty spacious. Maybe not Tahoe spacious, but I really didn't see an issue with packaging (if that's what you meant). Actually, my wife and I are weighing the Highlander and CX9 (and now also maybe the CX90) out to see what makes the most sense. Granted the Highlander is a touch bigger, but not much. The CX9 is much nicer inside.

true that RWD isn't something that most 3-row shoppers factor, but a car guy, it's definitely a big selling point for me.
Packaging issue is more about inefficiency- CX-9 is big on the outside but the same size inside as a Highlander. Packaging, especially on practical vehicles like this, is a pet peeve of mine.

And I would bet this is going to be AWD only. Again for something this huge, anything besides peg leg FWD is probably enough. Even something like torque vectoring AWD would be overkill... I would hope people aren't trying to get the back end out with their family on board.

301 - 320 of 387 Posts