VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today my i had my mom test drive two cars (both automatic): an Impreza 2.5 TS and a Mazda Protege5.
After test-driving the Protege5, i have to admit that i want to sell my civic right now. The whole package of the car simply impressed me. The interior materials and design were nicely done, the seating was roomy and comfortable, and the mechanicals were just damned good.
After my mom's jaunt down the freeway and through a couple turns, it was my turn. I took a turn at about 25MPH rather sharply like i do in my civic, and was i impressed. This is the Porsche 944 of the little cars. The steering response transmitted such nice road feel and the suspension let me know what was going on. It was also civilzed and gave an even better ride than my civic.
To all Protege5 owners - in my opinion, you have one of the best cars to ever come out of japan period. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
a question though - if any of you folks live in upstate NY or in new england, how has your protege5 held up to the winters? If my mom were to get one, it would deal with 6 months of road salt annually.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Re: Mazda Protege5 test drive (maskedSONY)

Yes, they are very nice cars indeed. I was looking at one a few days ago and it just makes me want to go and trade mine in for one. The new Pro5s feel so much nicer in almost every detail.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Re: Mazda Protege5 test drive (maskedSONY)

quote:[HR][/HR]a question though - if any of you folks live in upstate NY or in new england, how has your protege5 held up to the winters? If my mom were to get one, it would deal with 6 months of road salt annually. [HR][/HR]​
I recommend a set of winter tires mounted on steel rims. Aluminium wheels are the item most likely to deteriorate due to road salt.
As for the the bodykit, as long as you don't try to plow through hardened snow, you'll be fine. In my area, Pro5's are all over the place and I have yet to see one with extensive damage due to winter use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.