VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just go it in the mail today, was already sold out last year when I tried to register. I would not mind driving the RX-8 6speed Rotary...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Registration is now open for the 2004 Mazda Rev It Up™ tour
– just $40 gets you on the track! Check it out now at http://www.mazdarevitup.com.
Whether you end up competing or not, YOU’VE GOT TO SEE THIS. Bring your
driving buddies, your family and your main squeeze...

• FREE! – Come to the Mazda Drive Center and put several hot new Mazda cars--including the all-new, rotary-powered RX-8--through their paces on a cool track with no sales pressure.
• PLUS – Tackle the hairpins on the High Performance Go-Kart track (nominal fee). Win prizes!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (RGordini)

So this year they're using the Mazda3 instead of the Mazda6... nice... a smaller car should be a lot more fun

· Registered
1,286 Posts
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (cougar)

Quote, originally posted by cougar »
So this year they're using the Mazda3 instead of the Mazda6... nice... a smaller car should be a lot more fun

Do you know if they give the option of cruising a manual tranny?

G

·
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (SVTFecus)

Quote, originally posted by SVTFecus »
Do you know if they give the option of cruising a manual tranny?

You should be able to drive a manual transmission at the event, but the autocross competition will most likely only use automatics to make everything even. That said, the course is so small and tight that shifting is an utter waste--you basically start in first gear, then upshift to second before the first turn, all of twenty feet in. There's never a reason to shift again.
Hopefully, they won't allow cheating like they did last year...

· Registered
4,433 Posts
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (igneousGOlF)

Thanks for the heads-up ...
This event if it's just like last year lets you drive a few mazdaspeed cars in 'practice / training' courses, sample other mazda vehicles (simple test drives), and then the feature car in the 'competitive' event (2 laps).
If you're looking for extensive autocross instruction this isn't it; if you're looking for some fun and to whip a few Mazda cars around this might be better. Not sure if it's worth a 3 hr drive ...

G

·
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (Cerebrit)

Quote, originally posted by Cerebrit »
cheating?

The course is, AFAIK, the same in every city where people go. From each city they select the guy or gal with the fastest time to fly free to Laguna Seca raceway in California to compete for a new car on a different autocross. As someone mentioned, you get two runs: a "practice" and a "real" run (though if your practice is faster than your real, that's what goes up on the timing board).
Anyway, as anyone who does autocross will tell you, the more you do a particular course, the faster you'll get at it. Last year, some wealthy crumb who's a half-decent autocrosser with too much time on his hands was following the Rev It Up tour around from city to city looking for a first place finish.
Well, he finally got it on his fourth or fifth try, in DC, where he ended up a few tenths of a second faster than one of the local SCCA autocross guys, who like most everyone else, only had had the two laps.

To me, that's cheating, and they should've disqualified his runs.

· Registered
1,286 Posts
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (bgluckman)

definately I agree - knowing the run and having experience on it give him a rediculously unfair advantage. Not to mention most of the people competing will be in a car that is new to them also. I am not going to go and expect to win, but I think I can do reasonably well since I am hoping the 3 drives like a Focus.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (RGordini)

I went last year and while I enjoyed myself, I really didn't think it was worth the money. Mazda didn't give me anything Ford, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc had given me for free. Not only that, but while every other make had complimentary drinks and snacks, Mazda charged you an arm and a leg for those too.

· Registered
8,153 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

The course is, AFAIK, the same in every city where people go. From each city they select the guy or gal with the fastest time to fly free to Laguna Seca raceway in California to compete for a new car on a different autocross. As someone mentioned, you get two runs: a "practice" and a "real" run (though if your practice is faster than your real, that's what goes up on the timing board).
Anyway, as anyone who does autocross will tell you, the more you do a particular course, the faster you'll get at it. Last year, some wealthy crumb who's a half-decent autocrosser with too much time on his hands was following the Rev It Up tour around from city to city looking for a first place finish.
Well, he finally got it on his fourth or fifth try, in DC, where he ended up a few tenths of a second faster than one of the local SCCA autocross guys, who like most everyone else, only had had the two laps.

Wonder why someone would do that? If you have enough cash to fly from city to city to city to city just for a "chance" at a new car, you could most likely afford one. Curious...

· Registered
1,992 Posts

The course is, AFAIK, the same in every city where people go. From each city they select the guy or gal with the fastest time to fly free to Laguna Seca raceway in California to compete for a new car on a different autocross.

I don't believe that the course is the same everywhere, but I could be wrong. I think they chage it to fit the venue.
Even if it was /mostly/ the same it probably wouldn't be enough. The more important part is experience with the car.
You could probably get the same effect by borrowing somebody's car for a while.
Having said that, I'd like to see them only allow a single entry countrywide as well.

· Registered
24,124 Posts

Heh... yeah, I actually chatted with a guy who's a driving instructor at a track up in Brian, TX (I forget the name of the track). When he got done he said he was going to go up to Austin to try to run again. It doesn't bother me *that* much, but I agree... it is definitely unfair.

G

·
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (cougar)

Quote, originally posted by cougar »
Heh... yeah, I actually chatted with a guy who's a driving instructor at a track up in Brian, TX (I forget the name of the track). When he got done he said he was going to go up to Austin to try to run again. It doesn't bother me *that* much, but I agree... it is definitely unfair.

For 99.999% of the people, it honestly doesn't matter. But I felt bad for Ian (as did a lot of folks), who's a helluva nice guy, very active in local SCCA, and a damn amazing driver, because he pretty much got cheated out of a trip to CA.
The worst part was the guy who went from course to course was near the bottom of the final ten drivers at Leguna Seca. Go figure.

· Registered
24,124 Posts

For 99.999% of the people, it honestly doesn't matter. But I felt bad for Ian (as did a lot of folks), who's a helluva nice guy, very active in local SCCA, and a damn amazing driver, because he pretty much got cheated out of a trip to CA.
The worst part was the guy who went from course to course was near the bottom of the final ten drivers at Leguna Seca. Go figure.

Yeah, that does suck... The guy who won the houston competition had (from what I can tell) the highest score posted. He managed to barely edge out one of the Pro's times and ended up with 1200 points. Not long after that (an hour maybe?), a pro came in and beat the previous pro time by a second or so (right before I went on my second run... DOH!). Not sure how he ended up doing at Leguna...
EDIT: I found the guy you were talking about... Mark Daddio. He competed in Boston, NYC, Philly, and D.C.

Modified by cougar at 10:37 AM 1-14-2004

· Registered
128 Posts
Re: Mazda Rev It Up 2004! (vdubjb)

Those SOB's. Their not coming to Charlotte again. I don't know why not; there was a ton of people there last year when I went. And I wanted to toss those karts around. Oh well...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.