VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has 40k miles, and is on the original tires. General wear is surprisingly good. The problem is the inner block of tread has less wear than the rest of the tread; The inner block is squared off where it boarders the next block(s) of tread, and without showing a gradual wear. Am I making sense?

Registered
Car has 40k miles, and is on the original tires. General wear is surprisingly good. The problem is the inner block of tread has less wear than the rest of the tread; The inner block is squared off where it boarders the next block(s) of tread, and without showing a gradual wear. Am I making sense?
Are you asking a question? Yes, you need an alignment and new tires. :confused:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm looking for input. Dealership said it was the shocks. I've never seen tires wear like that...with positive camber wear, on a car with slightly negative camber.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No pics. Car's at the dealer. I thought worn rear shocks caused inner wear. :confused:

Registered
Any pics of the tires? The Mazda5 is known for having crappy rear shocks.
Yeah.
The Mazda5 is basically a tall Mazda3 wagon mechanically.
That's good because the Mazda3 is a really good car.
But.. not the added weight in the rear mean the rear suspension is prone to early issues/wear.
That's the Mazda5's only real issue iirc, and that can be fixed with aftermarket parts.

Registered
Yeah.
The Mazda5 is basically a tall Mazda3 wagon mechanically.
That's good because the Mazda3 is a really good car.
But.. not the added weight in the rear mean the rear suspension is prone to early issues/wear.
That's the Mazda5's only real issue iirc, and that can be fixed with aftermarket parts.
The Speed3 has the same problem. They may even use the same rear shocks.

Registered
If I remember correctly from my Mazda5 ownership days, this is a common and documented issue with the 5. I think there are kits / parts to mostly mitigate the problem. The earlier 5's especially, were prone to ridiculously fast rear tire wear, iirc.

Registered
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.