VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car failed inspection for window tint, however my tint is 35% all the way around legal style. So the guy at the inspection place says no place in md that does inspections is allowed to pass you with tint unless you get it checked by the police at the MVA, and they will give you a certificate. He says to bring the certificate back after and he will issue a pass. Is this so, or can you get your tint approved elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Re: Md State Inspection (soulsurfin)

eitherat MVA or State Police barracks. they will put a light sensor on the window and see hoe much light passes through the tint.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Md State Inspection (16VScirrocco88)

Quote, originally posted by 16VScirrocco88 »
eitherat MVA or State Police barracks. they will put a light sensor on the window and see hoe much light passes through the tint.

Where might I find locations of State Police barracks. Also could a md st trooper just flash it for me, and write me a document stating it is legal?

·
Registered
830 Posts

35% is the legal tint for Maryland however, your Jetta probably came w/ some light factory tint on it already therefore getting 35% at the tint store and adding the percentage that came w/ the car probably made it illegal. Before you had your car inspected you should have found someone that you knew that does inspection and had that person hook you up w/ the inspection. I had the same problem today when I got pulled over this morning. I got my tint done 20% however the device the cop used stated that it was 15%.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Md State Inspection (VWGTI203)

Quote, originally posted by VWGTI203 »
35% is the legal tint for Maryland however, your Jetta probably came w/ some light factory tint on it already therefore getting 35% at the tint store and adding the percentage that came w/ the car probably made it illegal. Before you had your car inspected you should have found someone that you knew that does inspection and had that person hook you up w/ the inspection. I had the same problem today when I got pulled over this morning. I got my tint done 20% however the device the cop used stated that it was 15%.

thanks, but I knew about it being checked, however my GTI came 98% visible and I got it tinted with 37% film so that the total would come out to 35%...I have had it tested, but not my the state police, Im almost 100% sure it will pass Im just agreivated, that the receipts stating that I purchased 37% film isnt enought to pass

Modified by soulsurfin at 11:26 AM 6-22-2005

·
Registered
830 Posts

Quote, originally posted by soulsurfin »
thanks, but I knew about it being checked, however my GTI came with 2% and I got it tinted with 37% film so that the total would come out to 35...I have had it tested, but not my the state police, Im almost 100% sure it will pass Im just agreivated, that the receipts stating that I purchased 37% film isnt enought to pass

Modified by soulsurfin at 11:23 AM 6-22-2005

I understand, I got pulled over today and I still have maryland tags, so 20% is way over the limit. I have to removed them and pay the fine, sucks. But in your case you should go the MVA get it tested and if it states that you are not at 35%, you should go to the place where you got your tint and show them your receipt and tell them they put the wrong tint and have them remove and put new ones at no cost.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Md State Inspection (VWGTI203)

Quote, originally posted by VWGTI203 »

I understand, I got pulled over today and I still have maryland tags, so 20% is way over the limit. I have to removed them and pay the fine, sucks. But in your case you should go the MVA get it tested and if it states that you are not at 35%, you should go to the place where you got your tint and show them your receipt and tell them they put the wrong tint and have them remove and put new ones at no cost.

Thats the plan I was just hoping I could avoid going to the MVA to get it tested. Its just PITA b/c I have to take off to go to one of the "specified" locations to get it tested, which is only testing from 8:30-11 Wednesdays and Thursdays

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
Re: Md State Inspection (The Swami)

no if you check they cannot at most MVA express. there are specific locations to handle tint. If you want them to test it you have to goto a barraks, the Glen Burnie MVA, or a schedule time at each MVA otherwise.
If you just remove it all you need is a reciept for the removal of tint.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Most MVA's are 2 days a week for testing of window film. The one in Beltsville did mine it took about maybe 5mins to do. They actually have State workers "not police officers" that do it. Don't take in to Glen Burnie a State trooper will inspect it and will also inspect other things i.e. performance parts, which is bad. My word of advise NO GLEN BURNIE, BEEN THERE DONE THAT CAME OUT WITH 2 EXTRA REPAIR ORDERS!!!!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

OK.
the law is worded in such a way that alot of people get confused.
Most cars are already at 70% transmittance.
So a roll of 50% tint on a stock car would produce 35%. A roll of 30 , 35 or 40 % tint will always fail.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Md State Inspection (xjronx)

Quote, originally posted by xjronx »
OK.
the law is worded in such a way that alot of people get confused.
Most cars are already at 70% transmittance.
So a roll of 50% tint on a stock car would produce 35%. A roll of 30 , 35 or 40 % tint will always fail.

Im pretty sure my car was at 98% trans before the tint they checked it there

·
Registered
2,781 Posts

Quote, originally posted by soulsurfin »
Im pretty sure my car was at 98% trans before the tint they checked it there

98% will *look* absolutely crystal clear to you. If it had *any* coloring agent at all in it, it would not be 98%.
--Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.